I can't see my graphics card under display adapters - what's happened?

motionman

Established Member
Reaction score
In a previous thread Sound Distortion Problems, forum members were very helpful in solving the issue. However, another issue has arisen, which I think may be linked.

The distortion issues returned and during a Zoom meeting, I kept getting an error message about a lack of resources affecting the audio. Also, strangely I could hear the other participants but they could not hear me. I had already checked my microphone before the meeting and it was working. Then I got a BSOD with the error being "System thread exception not handled" which apparently relates to my graphics card drivers (GeForce GT520). The solution that I found online was to uninstall the driver and re-boot so that Windows searched for and installed a new driver.

Before this, my GeForce graphics card was listed under display adapters but now it's not! Now I have "Video controller (VGA compatible)" under display adapters. What have I done? Is this what should appear? What's happened to my GeForce graphics card? The sound distortion has gone.

Any help would be appreciated.

...sorry and I'm running Windows 10 Home 64 bit
RAM: 16Gb
CPU: Intel Core i5-2310 @ 2.9GHz
Logitech Webcam C270
Realtek HD audio

...and an update: I saw the "update drivers" option in the display adapter, which I clicked and Windows found the GeForce driver so it is now shown in display adapter but with a little yellow triangle on it. Is this an issue that I need to put right?

That's a very old GPU so it may have died.

But I wouldn't let Windows install a driver for an NVidia GPU. Go to the Nvidia website and download them from there. If it still doesn't work it may be time to replace it.

Agreed. You are probably running the default Windows driver. Install the Nvidia driver tool here, and let it look after the drivers.

Thanks for the replies. I've been onto NVidia this afternoon and they found a driver for me. My graphics card is so old that they stopped updates in 2018! Maybe time for some new kit soon!

Have you tried downloading the latest driver however old.that may be.

When I went onto the NVIDIA website I couldn't find a driver specifically for my card so I went on their chat service and after a few questions I was sent a link and was able to download a driver that they recommended. I've left it at that I now and hope that I now have the best driver that they can offer for my graphics card.

All seems to be working OK with regards to the original issue. An Intel HD Graphics 4000 now appears in the device manager list.

Thanks for your post.

When I went onto the NVIDIA website I couldn't find a driver specifically for my card so I went on their chat service and after a few questions I was sent a link and was able to download a driver that they recommended. I've left it at that I now and hope that I now have the best driver that they can offer for my graphics card.

All seems to be working OK with regards to the original issue. An Intel HD Graphics 4000 now appears in the device manager list.

Thanks for your post.
The Intel is the onboard graphics, not your Nvidia card. Does the Nvidia card show in the device manager list?

The Intel is the onboard graphics, not your Nvidia card. Does the Nvidia card show in the device manager list?

Thanks for your reply Greg,

Not sure that I understand what's going on! The reference made to the Intel HD Graphics 4000 in my earlier post was made because it was there under the display adapters tab. I've just been back in and the only thing listed is my NVIDIA GT520 card!

Can you make sense of that?

Some CPU's have a graphics card built into them and yours is one of them. When you PC cannot find anything else for whatever reason it will find the Graphics chip present inside the CPU - hence intel Graphic HD xxxx. This is often refered to as the onboard Graphics card. The Nvidia one is a separate card which provides better performance.

Last edited:
My device manager shows both the onboard Intel and the NVidia card.

Really helpful, thanks for your replies. I'm starting to get my head around this!

When I contacted NVIDIA it was clear that I was referring to my GeForce GT520 card and they subsequently sent me a link to download a driver. I hope that I can safely assume that they sent me the best driver for my NVIDIA card.

Is there any way of checking which driver I have? If my GT520 is now showing in the device manager does that mean that this is the graphics card being used and not the onboard Intel HD Graphics 4000 which briefly showed up on the device manager?

If you're connected to the Nvidia graphics card then that is the graphics that you are using, the Intel graphics would be connected near the top of the input output connections, if the Nvidia graphics card is now working I would disable the Intel graphics, it's best to only have one working or you may get some strange behaviour.

The Intel graphics card is not showing under display adapters, just the GT520. Does this mean that not only is it that it's the GT520 that is being used but also that the Intel is not connected? Is it possible to still disable the Intel or is it out of play anyway?

The Intel graphics card is not showing under display adapters, just the GT520. Does this mean that not only is it that it's the GT520 that is being used but also that the Intel is not connected? Is it possible to still disable the Intel or is it out of play anyway?
Looking at your message trail, I can only assume that your PC is messed up. Not very helpful I know but what may help clear things up is a screenshot of your device manager.

You can assume that if only the GT520 is showing then the onboard graphics has been disabled. This is the usual case. If the GT520 keeps disappearing then this would indicate a fault and it would need further investigating.

Looking at your message trail, I can only assume that your PC is messed up. Not very helpful I know but what may help clear things up is a screenshot of your device manager.
Device Mgr [01].jpg

Try using this program to get your spec of system

Your Nvidia GPU card already installed with correct driver as it is correctly show as Nvidia GeForce GT 520 now. Nothing you need to do anymore.

Your problem is solved.

By the way your driver is still listed at Nvidia driver site, your card is under GeForce 500 Series.

1615673041213.png

Your card is kind of old, the last driver release was following this.

1615673058802.png

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom