• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

I can't make my mind up. Big TV for gaming or not?

Sacro

Please make my mind up for me. I have been playing games on a PS3 with a 26 inch HD ready (i.e. 720p TV) and was quite happy but decided I wanted a full HD TV. It's a bedroom TV, something to use as an escape route when my partner has her girlfriends or family members around.

Our main TV downstairs is a 46 inch Samsung with all the bells and whistles and it's amazing and cost a lot of money but I am now looking at a TV JUST for playing PS3 and Xbox 360 games in the bedroom. My question is this:

Those of you who play on consoles do you prefer a big TV or a regular sized one? We got a 42 inch which had a fault and has just been returned but for the couple of days we had it I was impressed with the 'epicness' (is that a word?) but felt kind of detached having played on a 26 inch previously which was quite close to me.

Do you get used to bigger TV's after a while? I felt like I was watching the games more than playing them on a 42 inch. I'm considering a 32 inch which will be closer to me. I just wanted some thoughts from console gamers if any are around.

By the way yes I know most games are in 720p but some aren't and I don't want to miss out.

Last edited:
I played ALLOT of Xbox on a Sony Bravia 40" and I loved it very much, you do get used to it, the bigger the TV the worse the graphics will look though but you also get used to this.

I currently have a Panasonic 47ET5B and I love it for gaming, I have not tried my xbox on it yet, but I can only imagine it will look pretty bad lol however as I said you get used to the poor graphics fairly quickly.

I actually use it for my PC, as a monitor, because I game using my xbox controller and use a wireless keyboard with touchpad to operate windows.

So I sit in my comfy chair and play like I am on the xbox, only I have full 1080p resolution with very good graphics, and my PC has 2x GTX 680 in SLi so I have the power to max out graphics and have things run at a solid 60FPS 60hz, I love consoles I own PS3 and XBOX however, nothing can compare to this.

Not even close.

Overall though I would recommend console gaming for the 'press the on button and play' side of things.

PC's are extremely expensive and a hell of allot of hassle.

Console on a nice 42" I say would suit you very well, go for it.

I would try the 42ET5B I swear you will be thrilled with it. http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Search/searchTerms/42ET5B.htm

Last edited:

Sacro

Thanks for the reply LongStrength this is exactly the kind of information I was looking for. When you mention XBOX I presume you're talking specifically about the 360? I don't have one (I have a PS3) but I'll be getting a 360 soon as there are some RPG's I want to play that are only on the 360.

The TV you linked looks great but it's a bit more than I want to pay just for a TV for the bedroom to play games on. The one I am currently looking at is a 40 inch, the Samsung UE40EH5000, this one (I hope the link works) but I can't find any reviews of it.

Samsung UE40EH5000 40-inch Widescreen Full HD 1080p LED TV with Freeview HD (New for 2012): Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

It's funny you should mention PC. I have a pretty good PC with a 27 inch IPS monitor and I'm wondering if it's because I'm used to playing games on this that I find large screen gaming a bit daunting.

Anyway, I think a 40 inch is probably as high as I want to go as I won't be too far from the set in the bedroom so if you (or anyone else) have any recommendations for a good full HD set that size purely for console gaming I would appreciate it.

Thanks again for the reply.

What is the most you can spend?

Consider this

http://www.*/news/samsung-ue40es5500-ue32es5500-201207031898.htm?page=Performance

16ms input lag, great for gaming, and the motion blur may actually be a good thing if your playing at 30FPS (99% console games)

I think it is about £500

Last edited:

Sacro

Thanks Scooby I'd thought about plasmas but I thought the good ones were really pricey. I've kind of talked myself into wanting 3D somehow as well and can't find a 42 inch 3D TV for anywhere near the price of the LG.

The site you just linked me to has a great price on that set, thanks for that :) Is it worth maybe considering older 3D plasmas maybe? Or are the good older models difficult to find now?

Scooby2000

Distinguished Member
Thanks Scooby I'd thought about plasmas but I thought the good ones were really pricey. I've kind of talked myself into wanting 3D somehow as well and can't find a 42 inch 3D TV for anywhere near the price of the LG.

The site you just linked me to has a great price on that set, thanks for that :) Is it worth maybe considering older 3D plasmas maybe? Or are the good older models difficult to find now?

Hard to find now at that size plasma wise. LCD has too many issues for me and its a real mine field finding a set that does what you want. For good motion with low lag plasma is the better option IMO you also get more for your money.

Lags a funny thing though, some people notice it more than others and it also depends on what games you want to play. Ideally when you decide on a couple of sets you want to take your console to a store like RS or Sevenoaks and demo, JL on a quite day may let you try your console on sets even though not ideal.

Important coming round to 3D I think game wise it will pick up quick soon when the new consoles are out. The UT is the closest to your budget and requirements, sadly LG and Samsung only do 50"+ for plasma. If you go LCD Id not go LED edge lit if gaming in a low light room, other than that Im not the best to recommend LCD wise as there's people who know more about the models.

Sacro

Thanks again for all the help Scooby I really appreciate it. If I'm going to go for plasma it's going to have to be the UT50 though it's a bit out of my price range. The other 3D plasmas all seem to be 720p and I don't want to be buying another TV when the new consoles come out.

My main criteria at the moment is full HD, 3D and 40 inch or bigger. I'll have to give the UT50 some serious thought I guess. One more question please, you say edge lit LED are not good for a room that's not well lit is it the same problem with LCD's?

So many things to consider, all this is going to drive me nuts!

Scooby2000

Distinguished Member
LED sets are LCDs where the back lighting used is LED, they use LCD panels.
Edge lit LEDs are common but as you can imagine uniformity is hard to achieve when the light is from the edge. as with any LCD you will have viewing angle issues, light uniformity issues, clouding and motion issues. Of course all sets vary and some of the top end LED LCD sets do a good job but the cost a lot of money.

Plasma isn't perfect but IMO is better pound for pound PQ wise. Plasma generally have a darker black level than LCD, though some LADs can go darker they arent uniform so you get light and dark areas unlike plasma that is the same level over the whole screen.
Plasma handles motion better not requiring the processing of LCDs and also has higher motion resolution. The main down side of plasma is IR (image retention) but most the time this won't bother you if at all.

Last edited:

Sacro

Cheers Scooby, another question or two about plasmas, sorry. The thread you linked gave a link to another thread in which some guy explains all about plasma burn-in and how to prevent it. He gives a lot of advice but it makes it sound like owning a plasma is a real chore, having to worry about how long you pause anything, running diagnosis tools for burn-in, turning down the contrast for the first 200 hours use etc is this guy being over cautious?

Also they mention that plasma displays degrade in quality over time. How much time are we talking about before the picture deteriorates? If it's 5 to 10 years or similar I'm okay with that, just wondering.

Thanks again you're a massive help.

Scooby2000

Distinguished Member
Plasmas have a half life of 100000 hours so no worries there.
Plasma do change over the first few hundred hours(this years Panasonic's are less) if anything they improve over this time but its very slight.

Basically plasmas are more active when new and the phosphorus burn brighter and longer, this is why its recommended not to use high contrast as IR will be more likely. IR is normal, its not damage, unlike LCD where pixels search on and off plasma send a charge to the cells of the pixels so the pixels plate rather than switch on and off. IR is basically where a charge has built up in the cells, it will dissipate eventually but whilst the charge is there you see a faint ghost if the image that was displayed.
IR is technically always there but lasts such a short time to won't see it, sometimes it lasts long enough for you to see if you look at a blank screen. Occasionally depending on the set and how its used you may get persistent IR that can stay for hours to weeks. This can often be seen with some content on the screen but will go with time.

There are ways to get rid of IR if it sticks about, most sets have a scrolling bar that you can run over a period of time, avoiding the content that created it and watching normal TV, running slides or watching a dead analogue chanel (snow).

IR is NOT burn as some think, screen burn is uneven wear of a panel that takes a long long time to get and requires some effort to do. Manufactures have improved plasma to such a degree in this area that burn is very very rare.

Basically you shouldn't use a plasma for normal PC use where you have a fixed UI up for hours on end every day, gaming and movie watching on PC is fine. Not using high contrast for the first couple of weeks will reduce the chances of bad IR (thus doesn't mean low contrast just not up too high as some like).

Important by no means an expert in this area just learnt some think over the years, there's a lot more to it but I hope I've given enough to reassure you. Ask away if you want more.:)

Last edited:

Sacro

I'd never use a large TV (or any TV) for PC use, I have a 27 inch 2560 x 1440 IPS monitor for that :) I've just had another look at the specs for the UT50 and it really does tick all my boxes. I'm going to have a chat with the other half gently explaining why I need a £570 42 inch TV for the bedroom just to play console games on. If you never hear from me again you'll know what happened!

The only one thing holding me back is I'm still worried I'll find it hard to get used to playing games on a big TV I felt really detached from it with the 42 inch playing at a distance but I suppose that's subjective nobody can really answer that one for me.

I have a feeling the UT50 will be a no-go due to the price though and I'll be back to square one again lol. I certainly feel I have more than enough information to make a decision on plasma now thanks to you which is excellent. It's at least a very viable option now.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom