Question I can't figure out how to add Italian TV channels to an OpenBox

S

satnoob

Hi everyone.

We have two satellite dishes. One pointed at Sky, and one pointed at HotBird 13E. We had two sky boxes before, one got English TV (FTA channels) and the other, connected to HotBird satellite got Italian TV. However, the Sky box used for Italian TV broke.

I just bought an OpenBox and DiSEqC switch. I plugged the satellites into the switch (Sky in LNB1, Hotbird in LNB2) and connected it to the box.

I enabled DiSEqC, and both satellites show up on the satellite list. One says Sky, the other says HotBird.

However, when I do a satellite scan (and select HotBird only) it still finds English channels like Channel 4, and a couple channels like Arabic and Spanish TV.

So I edited the satellite list, and added the manual frequences I found online.

i.e. from here

Italy - List of free-to-air satellite television channels - Italia

10992 V, 27500

But when I save it, and search channels, it seems to ignore that frequency I added. Also some of the existing frequences say "Failed" while others say "OK"

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks

OK I did another scan, and it managed to find some stuff like Rai 3, Rai Scuola, and a bunch of Rai HD channels (but they're not FTA or don't work I guess) but no Rai 1, Rai 2, Canale 5, etc.

:(

You could try the KISS technique and connect the new box directly to the 13E dish, bypassing the DiSEqC switch to take out any possible switching 'errors'. i.e. you think you are on the 13E dish but are actually on the 28.2E dish. Once you have that working, re-introduce the DiSEqC switch and the other dish, switch to 13E and see if you still get the Hotbird channels.

Hi and welcome to the forum.
There's not much point in having a switch for two satellites to two machines.
I haven't come across anyone else having used a Sky machine for anything but Sky channels.
Do as TJT1 suggests and let us know how you've got on.

I think he just wants Astra 28.2E and HotBird 13E on the one box logi.

@satnoob I'm sure that DiSEqC switches default to the A (LNB1) port, so if it isn't actually being switched, you are looking for 13E channels on the 28.2E sat group. That won't work at all well.:rotfl:
And it sounds like that's what is happening from what you said in your first post.
{snip} (Sky in LNB1, Hotbird in LNB2){snip}I enabled DiSEqC, and both satellites show up on the satellite list.
{snip}it still finds English channels like Channel 4,

Hi thanks for the replies. I did try it with just the other satellite connected, and it did work, but didn't find all of the channels like Rai 1, Rai 2, etc.

With DiSEqC, I get all the channels from both satellites. I also get a lot of the channels on this list

Italy - List of free-to-air satellite television channels - Italia

The weird thing is, I get Rai 3, which is the same frequency and everything as Rai 1 and 2.

Now I think of it, football was on Rai 1, and a film on Rai 2. Those would be scrambled for me, so if that was the case, would they not show up while searching for channels (and using the FTA only option) or would they still show up and just not work?

I need to try that when the football programme is over.

And yes that's correct I would like to get both channels through the same box if possible, but just using this box for Italian TV would be fine also.

Hmm I seem to have sorted it.

What I did is created an entirely new satellite in the list. With hotbird details, but instead of the default list, I manually created one with 10992/27.5/V and it found the channels.

But only without DiSEqC. Although I'm sure I set it up correctly, maybe it just isn't making a good connection with the switch?

So I think it's a case of me being stupid and overlooking something and maybe a problem with the switch like you guys guessed.

But it's working for now. Thanks :)

Are you only scanning the one tp then?

Hmm I seem to have sorted it.

What I did is created an entirely new satellite in the list. With hotbird details, but instead of the default list, I manually created one with 10992/27.5/V and it found the channels.

On that box you can use Blind Scan on the existing stored Hotbird satellite position to update ALL the channels, frequencies [& if there are any other more subtle changes]. It's quite a nippy blind scan, but I can't say whether it can miss some & duplicate others so you'd do well to check it against a reference on the internet...

eg kingofsat >>> Italian channels on Hotbird @ 13 east.

Watch out satnoob and pay attention, you have the real sat expert on your case now.:D

Watch out satnoob and pay attention, you have the real sat expert on your case now.:D

I didn't think it possible but you are getting worse

I was talking about you pedro and you are the real (undisputed) expert around here on things satellite.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom