I can't even tell if I'm being cheap, or extravagant?!

Thumpermawer

i currently shoot on a Canon 60D. I've owned it for a while and each new lens I've bought over the years has been an EF lens with the intention to one day move up to FF. With the 6D mkii now imminent it's time to move, but I'm going round in circles.

I could get a second hand mk 1, prices have dipped to about £750-900 on fleabay depending on the condition described. That seems sensible.

But the usual caveats apply - there's no warranty, condition may not be as described and if anything goes wrong after a few months I'm footing the repair bill myself.

Plus, you can already get a new mki 1 for (just) under £1k, with warranty and peiece of mind. Even though cameras are about as reliable as consumer electronics get, a warranty appeals to me a lot. I'm naturally slightly risk averse.

But that seems like a lot to be paying for an old model. Especially when I can buy currys vouchers with a 7% discount, and another 1% cash back through quidco puts the brand new mk 2 at £1,840. And depending on the kit lens that are available, I could buy a kit lens to immmediately sell to recoup some of that extra cost.

But then I'm (initially at least) spending around £2,300 for a camera that will get similar results to a used mk 1, which I can get off flea bay for £750-900........

And repeat!!!

I don't think it's likely the mk 1 will take a sharp drop anytime soon (5D's never really do with new models), so with the mk 2 coming out about a week before I go on holiday, making up my mind soon would be ideal.

What would you do in my position, and why?

newbie1

Distinguished Member
What I would do in your position depends on the reason for wanting to go to full frame and budget.

In my case I shoot mainly full frame on 5DM3/4 and sometimes crop on 350/70/700D.

Assuming I wanted to move to full frame from 60D for image quality reasons I would go to the new 6DM2 for the better quality and peace of mind of warranty. I'd probably keep the 60D as a backup or second body.

Hope this helps!

Thumpermawer

What I would do in your position depends on the reason for wanting to go to full frame and budget.

In my case I shoot mainly full frame on 5DM3/4 and sometimes crop on 350/70/700D.

Assuming I wanted to move to full frame from 60D for image quality reasons I would go to the new 6DM2 for the better quality and peace of mind of warranty. I'd probably keep the 60D as a backup or second body.

Hope this helps!

Ah yes, that would be useful info! Trying out new things and experimenting so have quite varied use, strictly as a hobby, but always come back to landscape as a favourite and is the one area I'm always trying to improve. Unlikely to see much sport or wildlife. Motivation is better iq, particularly in low light. The budget is available if I can see the value, but equally happy to keep it in the bank if it's not worthwhile spending.

Thanks for the response :)

Faldrax

muljao

If it were me I'd buy a new 6d with the warranty. Marketing makes us think old models are inferior. Maybe to an extent that is true, but I cant see (and remember no actual reviews of image quality just yet) The mark 2 being worth nearly twice the original. If you can get don't need the extra features the 6d2 offers, the 6d is a great imager for sensible money. The extra 6mp does not mean an awful lot either. When the 6d came out it was suggested around the interwebz that its image quality beat the 5d3 (now the amount was negligible), and the 5d3 image quality is excellent

That 850 pounds you save would take you somewhere nice to use the 6d, or indeed bag you something like a 70-200 f4 IS

Just my opinion. YMMV

snerkler

Distinguished Member
I'm of the opinion that if you can afford it and it's something that you want then go for it, life's too short. If you're like me, if you bought the 6D you'd always be wondering whether you should have bought the mark II ;)

AMc

Distinguished Member
As an Olympus user I've been amazed at the prices tumbling on the E-M1 Mki now the Mkii has been actually been released. There's a gigantic glut in the camera shops and the used prices are silly cheap compared to where they were when the Mkii was announced.
I know that there is more variety in the Canon line up but I would expect the Mki used price to be significantly affected when the Mkii is actually available, esp. if Canon do trade in bonuses.
I would wait and buy a used Mkii from a camera shop.

springtide

Distinguished Member
If you are worried about warranty, maybe look for one from a shop.

I've bought a couple of cameras from LCE as they offer 6 months warranty.. and prices are not hugely different to eBay.
You also can try and negotiate on price of the new price is dropping.

Last edited:

BobBob21

I'm of the opinion that if you can afford it and it's something that you want then go for it, life's too short. If you're like me, if you bought the 6D you'd always be wondering whether you should have bought the mark II ;)
I'm in this camp too.

TBH, having just bought the 5D4 as an upgrade from my 40D I've not paid attention to the 6D2 features or cross compared them to the last model. Obv the cameras not even released yet so no real life examples of what its capable of and so you'd be buying on stats and/or a promise.

At the end of the day though if you're willing to stretch to £2k and consider last generation then it begs the question on if to get the 5D3 which is now just below that level?

I don't upgrade every year and so buy the best I can with the intent to keeping it for a couple of generations and then repeating. I would be concerned that buying a camera that is already 5 years old will shorten my replacement cycle. Plus... I'm worth it ;)

Thumpermawer

As an Olympus user I've been amazed at the prices tumbling on the E-M1 Mki now the Mkii has been actually been released. There's a gigantic glut in the camera shops and the used prices are silly cheap compared to where they were when the Mkii was announced.
I know that there is more variety in the Canon line up but I would expect the Mki used price to be significantly affected when the Mkii is actually available, esp. if Canon do trade in bonuses.
I would wait and buy a used Mkii from a camera shop.

Sorry for all the 6D owners, but I hope you're right! :D

I looked up the 6D prices over the last year, and they're ~£200 higher on aver age now than a year ago!

Canon 6D Body Best Price £1329.00 - Compare Prices Now!

The new for £1k price was through Hdew, who I didn't realise were grey market. Bricks and mortar prices are about £400 more. I know Hdew have an office somewhere, a stellar reputation and a good few years trading history, but since their business model essentially relies on an import duty loophole for cameras bundled with kit lenses, there's no guarantee they will be around if that is closed.

I'll probably wait for first reviews of the mark 2 to see if there's a worthwhile iq gain over the mark 1 and splurge (really value the flip screen, coming from a 60D I use it often), and if there isn't just grab a second hand mark 1 unless the new price dips enough to justify new.

snerkler

Distinguished Member

I looked up the 6D prices over the last year, and they're ~£200 higher on aver age now than a year ago!

Canon 6D Body Best Price £1329.00 - Compare Prices Now!

The new for £1k price was through Hdew, who I didn't realise were grey market. Bricks and mortar prices are about £400 more. I know Hdew have an office somewhere, a stellar reputation and a good few years trading history, but since their business model essentially relies on an import duty loophole for cameras bundled with kit lenses, there's no guarantee they will be around if that is closed.

I'll probably wait for first reviews of the mark 2 to see if there's a worthwhile iq gain over the mark 1 and splurge (really value the flip screen, coming from a 60D I use it often), and if there isn't just grab a second hand mark 1 unless the new price dips enough to justify new.
Prices have gone up across the board due to 'Brexit'/the value of the pound.

Faldrax

But at least we can keep immigrants out now :rotfl:

Those will be the immigrants who come over for seasonal farm work (so we can harvest our crops), provide the NHS (what's left of it) with Nurses, etc. :facepalm:

The ability of the populace and politicians to make choices without understanding the consequences never fails to amaze me!

(Though it's not just the UK, farmers in the USA are also now worrying about finding enough labour come harvest time).

AMc

Distinguished Member

Perhaps I wasn't clear - used prices for E-M1 Mki have tumbled since the E-M1 Mkii was released.
A lot of the high end Olympus users upgraded but then the E-M1 is in a field of one of high end Olympus bodies and was comparatively slow model refresh.

Thumpermawer

Ok, after much hand wringing, chin stroking and RAW sample testing I have made a decision, which I know you were all on tenterhooks about :D

The wheels are in motion and expect to have a 6D mark ii in hand by the weekend.

i tried a few Nikon bodies which felt fine in hand, but they felt totally alien and less comfortable when actually shooting. Maybe I'm too set in my ways. Felt this was important as I experienced the same thing when trying Sony A7 & 9, and it isn't something you can tell from a spec list. Go and play with bodies, that's a good life tip in general!

So with other companies ruled out, it's between Mark 1 and 2 of 6d. I'm coming from a 60D, so the dr performance is significantly improved either way (even if mark 2 doesn't match contempories at iso100). My tests with donated RAW files broadly matches some YouTube testers and I concluded that while it is a mark against the camera, but that I won't see it in vast majority of situations.

The live view focus improvements and flip touchscreen and integrated intervalometer with manufacturer warranty swung it for me. I would hate to pay a bunch of cash for a new camera to lose something I find extremely useful (flip screen on 60D) so there you have it.

If everything works out I should have it before climbing Snowdon this weekend to put it through its paces!

Thanks for the input everyone.

newbie1

Distinguished Member
Have fun! I know what you mean about the handling, I'm quite stuck on canon for the same reason - really like the feel and used to it so never have to think about adjusting settings that is all on autopilot so can focus on getting the picture I want. Looking forward to seeing your results sounds like a fun trip :)

newbie1

Distinguished Member
PS visit the Mach Loop while you're there and send an entry to this months photo compo?

snerkler

Distinguished Member
Have fun! I know what you mean about the handling, I'm quite stuck on canon for the same reason - really like the feel and used to it so never have to think about adjusting settings that is all on autopilot so can focus on getting the picture I want. Looking forward to seeing your results sounds like a fun trip :)
Yep, it's so important that you like the handling. I don't like older Nikons but do like the newer ones (D750 and D500). I don't mind the 6D's but wasn't keen on the 5DIV's.

Relic23

Ok, after much hand wringing, chin stroking and RAW sample testing I have made a decision, which I know you were all on tenterhooks about :D

The wheels are in motion and expect to have a 6D mark ii in hand by the weekend.

i tried a few Nikon bodies which felt fine in hand, but they felt totally alien and less comfortable when actually shooting. Maybe I'm too set in my ways. Felt this was important as I experienced the same thing when trying Sony A7 & 9, and it isn't something you can tell from a spec list. Go and play with bodies, that's a good life tip in general!

So with other companies ruled out, it's between Mark 1 and 2 of 6d. I'm coming from a 60D, so the dr performance is significantly improved either way (even if mark 2 doesn't match contempories at iso100). My tests with donated RAW files broadly matches some YouTube testers and I concluded that while it is a mark against the camera, but that I won't see it in vast majority of situations.

The live view focus improvements and flip touchscreen and integrated intervalometer with manufacturer warranty swung it for me. I would hate to pay a bunch of cash for a new camera to lose something I find extremely useful (flip screen on 60D) so there you have it.

If everything works out I should have it before climbing Snowdon this weekend to put it through its paces!

Thanks for the input everyone.
Congratulations!

Where did you end up purchasing it from?

Thumpermawer

Good job I'm not an impatient sort!

Attachments

• IMG_0004.jpg
    IMG_0004.jpg
    252.6 KB · Views: 43

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Focal launches Bathys noise-cancelling wireless headphones
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Formovie Theater UST projector hits the UK
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Sonus faber unveils new flagship Arena speaker series
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Sharp showcases its upcoming 4K TV and audio line-up