I can't decide

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by michaelk, May 21, 2001.

1. michaelk

michaelk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I orignally started looking at the sony 735D DVD player with the Sony 940 Amp. I've now been tempted by the Arcam offering, the AVR100 and 88 ( even though it's about double the price ) . Has anyone got this system, if so how is it ? Any other suggestions for amps and dvd players I should be looking at around this price mark

Cheers

Michael

2. Dorian

Dorian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    The DV-88 and AVR-100 are great. Had them for a couple of months. They look nice together and offer a lot of versatility (multi-region, MP3 playback) as well as being an excellent DVD player which also does a great job of playing CD's.

I achieved my goal - getting a surround system that doesn't sound worse than my old Rotel setup with audio CD's.

However I can't comment on the amp's 5.1 channel abilities because I currently don't have room for the rear/centre speakers.

A lot of people would tell you to go with the Denon 3801 amp at this price, and that's fair enough. But I love the styling of the Arcan DiVA gear, and I for one am perfectly happy with the performance of the amp.

Have a look on www.audioreview.com for plenty of user feedback on the amp (and the DVD too probably).

Domino

3. cpark

cpark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I wanted a 2 box system that would be good with both music and movies. I looked and auditioned a few systems including the sony 940.

In the end i went for the arcam, sounds great with DVDs and especially CDs. 2 units can fit and look great in the TV stand!

I've had a few technical difficulties with the DV88, it wouldn't accept the new LO14 firmware update disk which I had hoped would cure a toy story 2 disk that wouldn't play. All credit to ARCAM however, the player has been replaced with a brand new player within a week of contacting them.

I have no complaints now - and would happily buy arcam again. e-mail me if you have further questions

Happy shopping!

Calum

4. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Sony 940 and 735 combination and I am delighted with it. What most impresses me is the quality of music playback, superb. I don't have experience of the other set up but can recommend this one.

Steve