1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I can't connect my TV to my amp...

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by RL123, Dec 26, 2002.

1. RL123

RL123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I've tried it by using a phono lead from the audio L/R on my TV into an audio input on my TV but I only get sound from the VCR channel. If I remove the VCR scart from the TV then I get no sound from my amp from this channel...

Is there a way to connect my TV, to listen to the TV and not the video? I'm asking cos I have Sky connected to my TV aerial but the digibox is downstairs in the living room so I have a brand new Pro Logic 2 amp but can't watch TV through it :(

Thanks for any help/suggestions :)

2. big.hal

big.hal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Are you connecting your amp via the scart socket or via seperate phono sockets on you tv? If its via the scart does it support output as well as input?
    It sounds like it does not. Does you tv manual suggest how to connect to an amp or not?

3. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +861
    Hi

A pair of phono leads from the Audio Out of the TV straight into the amp should do the trick. You may have to change something on the TV to get output though, my JVC has to have its speakers switched OFF before any sound is sent to the audio outs.

4. RL123

RL123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Currently, my amp isn't connected to the TV. I only use it for audio for my Hifi, DVD player and PS2

Jase, I'll try that and see if it works. Sounds like it could be the answer :)

Thanks

5. RL123

RL123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    It didn't work :(

It's only outputting the VCR sound, and not what is on the screen. If I turn the VCR off then I get no sound at all through my amp.

6. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +861
    Ok. Lets start from scratch, what equipment have you got? Then we´ll run through the connections.

7. RL123

RL123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    It's ok. I've figured out the problem - my VCR doesn't have a 'tune' option :rolleyes:

I only wanted to do this so I could watch Sky in Pro Logic 2 but if it isn't tuned into my VCR, and there is no way for me to tune it in, then it's not gonna work...

So I'm gonna get a new VCR this weekend. It's not just because of this though...it's an old machine (10 years +) and it doesn't even have stereo or nicam sound :)

There's quite a few decent machines on the Comet website...hopefully some will be reduced slightly in the sales so I can pick up a good machine for under £90 or so.

Thanks for offering to help though. It isn't anything to do with the connections - my Uncle is an electrician and he basically set everything up for me so I'm almost certain there isn't a problem with how it is setup.