1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I can see the Panasonic PWD6 flicker!

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by consciouspnm, Jul 24, 2003.

1. consciouspnm

consciouspnm
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had a long drive up to AV-Sales this evening to have a look at the PWD6 and compare it with the PWD5. I had anticipated seeing the PWD6 as flicker free and buying it. However, it still flickers! They also had the Pioneer 433 which I thought produced a much more stable and flicker free picture. Has anyone else detected flicker on the PWD6 when compared to the 433?

BTW, Thanks for opening late Liam and Co!

2. Heady

Heady
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yup, check the latest "Panasonic vs. Pioneer" Thread for my writed impressions, had exactly the same feeling. And so I went for the Pioneer, allthough I came into the retailer's shop with good intentions to buy a Panasonic.

Well, the Panny 6 really flickers less, on the other hand the Panny had IMO a better picture than the Pioneer (433HDE).

Greetz

Heady

3. Geeseman

Geeseman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not only that, the reduction in greyscale from using the Quasi 100hz mode could actually see it perform worse than the series 5 in regards to displayed colours and elimination of colour banding and fuzz.
    Oh, and if you can time the screen refresh with opening and closing your eyes you will not notice flicker :lesson:

4. Paul D

Paul D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +391
    LOL!!!:laugh: :rotfl: :laugh:

5. WIRY

WIRY

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is a worry
    As some one from AV sales told me today that the flicker had been sorted on the new model, and it beats the 42PD3000, and the PIONEER hands down, in fareness tho he did say that you get more detail out of the Hitachi and pio models.

I saw the 32PD3000 today great PQ

any of you guys seen its bigger brother if so how dose it compare to the smaller one, me thinks it must be a little worse

Nice threads
    wiry

6. Wayne Moule

Wayne Moule

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    I've seen the Hitachi 42PMA400 and it did indeed have lots of detail and it was sharper than other Plasmas on show.As it's the monitor version of the 3000,I assume it's bigger brother would be great as well.

7. WIRY

WIRY

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers for the input Wayne
    when you saw the 42PMA400E what did you think of the design of the fram work and stand,the coulor looks a bit dull like in the magazines and has rather an odd looking join around the outer
    edges, atleast in the magazine

did it win any awards in the design department IYO

Anyone esle who`s seen one what would u say

And its usally the PQ we all worry about
    :zonked:

Cheers to all
    wiry

8. consciouspnm

consciouspnm
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I assume I can see the Panasonic flicker because it uses a "Quasi 100hz " mode as opposed to the real thing. Are there any other makes that are genuine flicker free that I should consider before I get the Pioneer? Also, does anyone have any definate info about its replacement?

9. briandzo

briandzo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    for my 2 pennys worth

i have the 433mxe & have never so much as seen a single 'flicker'

10. lmccauley

lmccauley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +213
    The Panasonic flicker seems to be like DLP rainbows - some people can see it and some can't. I'm very susceptible to DLP rainbows, to the point that they constantly distract me. So I would never buy a standard DLP projector. I don't see the flicker on the Panasonic plasma, but, from my experience with DLP, I would always now recommend that you view one for yourself in case you do.

Cheers,
    Liam

11. Wayne Moule

Wayne Moule

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    As they were all on the wall in Richer Sounds,I couldn't comment on the stand,but they all looked fine to me,as they were all in small frames anyway.

You might want to look at the Hitachi C42PD3000,which is the same screen,but has won awards and has a better looking swivel stand and speakers.It also comes with a Tuner Box for £3000.I saw it in Curry's,but the picture wasn't set up properly.

http://www.hitachidigitalmedia.com/viewProduct_1.jsp?productid=273&drilldown=2&urlnumber=0