1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I call on the gods of 28" widescreen tvs

Discussion in 'TVs' started by JohnnyPanix, Feb 28, 2002.

1. JohnnyPanix

JohnnyPanix
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey,

OK, I know many people ask similar questions, and lots of people have different opinions, it's all a matter of personal taste, blah blah, and I'm sorry to do this again,

but....

I am going insane trying to correlate online tv magazine reviews, opinions from this fourm, and what i can afford from empire direct, unbeatable or techtronics.

I need some advice, seriously.

I want to buy a 28" Widescreen Flat TV. It needs NICAM at least, at least one RGB scart, and no serious problems, Oh, and i need to be able to get hold of it for less than £600. Yes, I'm serious. NO to a larger screen, NO to a curved screen, and NO to more money.

I don't care what brand, look, or even age of model to be honest.

Please please please leave your messages, stating which ones you know to be good and which bad.

I'm becoming overwhelmed by the whole thing now. I thought I'd found good models (panny pl1, etc.) only to find out that everyone says they are terrible, despite good reviews.

2. js

js

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Its all a case of luck I suppose.
    The only TV I can think of and that has less/almost no problems is the JVC 28WFT1. Can be bought for just under £500.
    The only niggles I've heard about are geometry can be off slightly and the audio out is absolutely awful (2 phonos to amp)
    This TV seems to have the least amount of complaints. Sorry I can't help with the perfect TV for under £600 but I don't think you will really find one without some sort of problem however minor.

3. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,277
    my sony KV28WS2U was faultless, geometry wise etc.....well until some of the chips went faulty, but it is about 3 years old, and been moved about a bit.....still waiting for Sony to get their finger out of their a*se and repair it...!

4. JohnnyPanix

JohnnyPanix
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you Thank you to the two who have offered opinions already, they are gratefully recieved.

Anyone else?

The JVC mentioned is on my list for sure, but I'd not heard about awful audio out? Anyone know about the Toshiba 28Z07B or the Hitachi C28WF532N?

5. John Jennings

John Jennings

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I'd recommend the JVC too. The sound's not really awful, it's just a bit 'ordinary'. I have heard about the geometry problems (bending in top left IIRC), but it's fixable by an engineer.

(If flat screen wasn't an issue I'd really recommend the Philips 28PW6006. No problems anywhere, even geometry is about as perfect as you'll ever get on a CRT. However, it's got an Ultra Flat (ie very nearly flat) rather than a Real Flat screen. Very nice telly, and very well reviewed).

John

6. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    The geometry on the JVC is poor in 4:3 mode only. The panoramic zoom is very good for everyday viewing of most non widescreen TV programmes and so this problem doesn't worry me.

The audio out is allso not very good but so as not to confuse newbies this refers to the audio available at the phono outputs and not to the general sound through the TV's own speakers.

I have my Digibox and VCR audio outputs directly into my amp so the poor outputs on the TV are not a problem.

7. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +894
    I´d go for the JVC as well. Apart from the 4.3 geometry and the naff sound from the phono outputs, as Ian J said, its a cracking tv.

8. John Jennings

John Jennings

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Strictly the geometry's the same in all modes. The problem is just most noticeable in 4:3 as you can actually see the edge of the screen bowing out into the surrounding area.

The screen will still bow out in widescreen modes, it's just that the problem is made less obvious by the overscan (so the edges of the image are actually offscreen). You can still see the problem as anything displaying vertical lines will bend a bit when it gets near the part of the screen where the problem is. I guess it just depends how picky you are. :clown:

9. JohnnyPanix

JohnnyPanix
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys this is probing really helpful, the best response I've had.

John J, you mentioned that it is fixable by an engineer? The JVC bowing I mean. Is there an engineer mode in terms of menus that would give me control?

Also, how awful is the sound? I have my VCR & DVD currently going through my Cambridge Audio A5 hi-fi amp with some old Wharfdale 705's. So it wouldn't bother me too much.

Anyone know anything about the Hitachi I mentioned?

10. John Jennings

John Jennings

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Yes there is, but don't know the access codes I'm afraid

I remember it reviewed very well, but that usually counts for little IMO (magazines can easily be 'influenced' by freebies and lunches, and thus 'overlook' problems with sets).

11. JohnnyPanix

JohnnyPanix
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK, this is great, really, a BIG help. So... I have these TV's flying around in my little head:

JVC 28WFT1 - AV Forums Thread Recommendation - £464.98 inc VAT

TOSHIBA 28Z07B - Flatscreen Pro Logic - £566.53 inc VAT

Hitachi C28WF532N - Nicam (Virtual DPL) - £479.98 inc VAT

Would love to hear from some people who've got or are familiar with both the Toshiba and the Hitachi.

But I'm close now, I can feel it.

IT WILL BE MINE!!!!!!

HA HA HA HA!!!!
    :D

12. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    i and mute buttons together

It is the sound through the audio outputs that is odd. It seems like a stereo signal is sent to both fronts and rears resulting in all sorts of odd echoes.

If like me, you divert the sound to an amp it is not a problem

13. JohnnyPanix

JohnnyPanix
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey thanks Ian J,

if I get the JVC that'll be handy indeed.

Strange problem with the audio. Anyone have any further info on that?

Or on the other two tv's mentioned earlier?

14. AndTheAce

AndTheAce

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

You seem in the same boat as me!!!

I was going for the pl1 until I read about its problems.

My first choice was going to be the Hitachi 530N because I reckon it looks the dogs.
    I was then going to get the PL1.
    Then I was going for a philips 6515 or something.

I then went to look in Comet and noticed a JVC 100EKS which seemed to have a better picture than the others in the price range, although the feed reception looked terrible. It is surprising that a shop trying to sell TVs can't get better reception!!!

Anyway, I am 90% there on buying the Hitachi after I have seen a couple of good write ups on this forum.
    Enter C28WF530N in the search...

:)

15. Stuart Brooks

Stuart Brooks
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just another one to throw into the ring, South Coast Electronics sceuk.co.uk (no www) are doing a special on the Grundig Xentia MFW70-490/8, £499 for a 100Hz True Flat Screen model, including futuristic stand. the 32" version has got good reviews on the main review sites. Has NICAM and Virtual Dolby

Stuart

16. JohnnyPanix

JohnnyPanix
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is it just snobbery and ignorance on my part that i haven't even bothered considering makes like Grundig?

Can the set mentioned rival any of the toshiba/hitachi/jvc tvs mentioned earlier?

17. JohnnyPanix

JohnnyPanix
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh! And I read in another post that the JVC sets have a few other problems too.

moire (the pincushion effect) - how bad is this? is it a fault, or a 'feature'?

terrible 4:3 geometry - well, i hope to fix that with the service menu

noticable flicker on NTSC DVDs, but only in one corner - huh? i have a lot of region 1 discs, so this could scupper the deal!

Any opinions on these problems?

18. Stuart Brooks

Stuart Brooks
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For some user views of the Grundig see the links below. Across Europe Grundig is seen as a high-end brand, here in the UK their range is skewed more downmarket, but the Xentia is one of their more upmarket models. The set normally retails at £850+, had I not recently bought their IDTV model I would have jumped at the Xentia at these low prices.

Stuart

http://www.avforums.com/frame.html?...thread.php?s=&threadid=29734&highlight=xentia

http://www.avforums.com/frame.html?...php?s=&threadid=29609&perpage=15&pagenumber=1