1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I bought the Tosh!!

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by nikko, May 29, 2003.

1. nikko

nikko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

Thanks for all your advice everyone. I bought the Toshiba42WP27 from Richer Sounds in Bristol (ask for Damien) yesterday, loaded it into the wifes Convertable to bring it home, complete with Wall mount and I am (so far) happier than a pig in &*%$#!!!

My only gripe I guess is the "silver" frame isn't quite the silver of the Panny, perhaps more blue/grey than silver but nevertheless smilin!.

The wall mount took about an hour to bolt to the wall, the AV card took about 30 seconds to fit, I plugged into my Yamaha Receiver whacked in a DVD on the Sony and bingo there she blew_ sweet as sports mixture from Asda.

SKy worked too, if not a bit fuzzy and MPeg'y but it worked! I changed the picture settings as per some of your suggestions (close to cinema mode actually) watched The Cell (J-Lo) and got plastered on Vodka _ great night (would have been better if the misses had stayed awake _ nevermind!).

All I need now is THX setup(optimode disk), and to convert the Scart from SKY to S-Video, I believe I'll need a converter or a new decoder! I am sure its mentioned in strings here how to do_ but any suggestions would be welcome!

Thanks again.

Nik

:smashin:

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    Sky boxes output RGB and composite signals.
    Composite is poor & RGB is the best. S-Video is slightly better than composite, but not anywhere close to RGB. I would suggest you go for the RGB>VGA box from www.rgbtosvideo.com at about £120. This is not cheap, but you have just spent a couple of grand on the screen, so why try saving a few quid on the converter. This box will give the best possible picture for Sky.

Mark.

3. nikko

nikko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks a lot Mark, much appreciated info.

I connect everything to the Yamaha Receiver etc. which has composite and Svideo out. Then select the source. Should I connect the SKY directly to the Plasma or should I go Svideo into the receiver (as is the DVD) and then get SVideo to RGB converter?

I'm trying keep it down to a single cable to the plasma _ what do you think?

Nik

4. symanski

symanski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    If you convert Sky to the S-Video converter then you switch your sources via an A/V amplifier. This does keep the system simple.

However, if you opt for the RGB to Plasma VGA unit you will get a sharper picture that what is possible with S-Video, but you'll not be able to route via the amplifer. Audio can still go to the amp though.

All the best,

Dr John Sim.

5. gileso

gileso

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I too have the Toshiba - great picture, great price from RS!

I also run video switching through my Yamaha amp (RX630), but in the never-ending search for improved picture quality, I have gone down the component video route for my two main sources:

DVD YUV out > RX630 component switch > Plasma component input
    DigiTV RGB out > JS RGB to YUV converter > RX630 component switch > Plasma component input

and

Video scart composite > RX630 composite switch > Plasma composite AV input

Unfortunately, this means running 2 cables to the screen (component (with 3 connectors) and composite). However, it does mean that all audio & video switching is done by the amp (you just need to remember to change the plasma input to the appropriate setting).

Then you'll want to connect your PC to it, which requires another cable. Oh, and what about an audio connection to use the inbuilt amplifier, etc...

Enjoy the screen, and connect the components in the best way you can afford - its only money after all...

6. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    You don't say, but if your DVD has component outputs then use this (either direct to plasma or via receiver) else the best PQ will be via RGB.
    Sky will also have RGB out.

So best bet is either:
    DVD component to plasma & Sky to RGB>VGA converter to plasma VGA input(2 leads to plasma but best possible PQ).
    OR
    DVD RGB scart & Sky RGB scart to scart switch box to RGB>VGA converter to plasma VGA input (one cable only to plasma as required :clap: ).

I would suggest NOT going to S-Video as this is far from the best for PQ. Stick to RGB/Component.
    You could replace the RGB>VGA for RGB>Component converter and go via amp for single lead to plasma (but only if DVD has component out!).

Mark.