1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I bought an Epson tw10h

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by dinoprada2003, Jan 11, 2005.

1. dinoprada2003

dinoprada2003

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +241
    Ok thanks to the reviews in various A/V mags and the positive comments of many of AV/Forums members :) I order'ed a Epson tw10h sunday morning via the web and have just taken delivery about 2 hours ago.First impressions are a little confusing!!!?
    Well first off the good news, NO MORE RAINBOWS! secondly colours appear to be a lot brighter and sharper than my old data PJ, and of course now I get a native 16:9 AR PJ :D Ok so with grubby excited little fingers I take said PJ out of box and connect it to my HCPC via 6 metre VGA lead,Playback is using POWERDVD4 and Powerstrip.I set playback for 1:1 pixel maping at the Epsons native res of 854x480.Now the first thing I notice is that colours are bright and vivid in fact a little too bright, So I set PJ to theatre black mode and start to spin some disks.Hmmmmm image is fairly sharp though not for text in windows(this is of course to be expected as this is a HC PJ not a data model)Now herein lies the problem.Colours are fine! image sharpness is fine, But theres no "filmatic quality" to the picture it appears "pixely" Ok I thinks lets see how s-video does, So I dig up an old 5 metre cheapy lead and connect it to my £50 divx/dvd player and WOW! colours are no way near as bright and or dark, However! the image is at least 200% smoother! no pixelation visible etc etc.Now can someone please clue me in as im at a loss to explain this? how does a £800 HCPC look "worse" than a cheap £15 S video cable and a cheapy £50 dvd player? :zonked:

2. saguk

saguk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Too much digital processing?

3. dinoprada2003

dinoprada2003

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +241
    Ok iv'e been playing around for a few hours with power strip and I set the desktop to 1024x768 not the PJ native res, And wow! playback of dvd is SUPERB, This is a little strange? So I look in menu info on the PJ's OSD and I notice when ever I set the PJ to it's native res of 852x480 with powerstrip the OSD of the PJ's menu says 640x480! and I have the crappy picture problem.Now when I set desktop res to 1024x768 not the PJ's native res, The OSD of the PJ's says 1024x768! and picture is superb!?? Anyone know whats going on? :)

4. MikeRJ

MikeRJ
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Do you have the projector in "Normal" or in "Squeeze" aspect ratio? Something I found with mine using component, I need to have it permanentrly set to "Squeeze" to get a widescreen picture, even if feeding it a native 16:9 source. In fact the more I think about it the more this could be your problem. The projector is taking your 852x480 16:9 picture and squashing it up to a 4:3 aspect 640x480.

5. dinoprada2003

dinoprada2003

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +241
    Hello Mike, :)

Iv'e set it to all 3 modes Normal,Squeeze and zoom but it wont have it none of it :confused: the OSD still says 640x480!

6. dinoprada2003

dinoprada2003

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +241
  7. beng

beng

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dino I'm afraid I cannot answer you question however I'd like to know what you think of the PJ in general. It seems like you get quite a lot of bang for your buck.

8. dinoprada2003

dinoprada2003

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +241
    Hello Beng,

Im pretty impressed! it's dvd playback is very good via HCPC, with colours vivid and image sharp.Blacks are more than acceptable when you switch the PJ to "theatre black" mode and watch in darkness.Im not sure what it would be like in place of a TV for daytime use as I only really use it for films, What I found is the picture is bright enough during a sunny day for dvd playback as long as the movie has no dark scenes, And thats with the windows open and no high gain screen.In sum for £550 I dont see how you could complain? it's got a native 16:9 AR, it's High Def ready (albiet scaled down to the PJ's native res) bulb life of 3000 hours, A 3 year onsite swap/repair home warranty.cheap bulbs and very slient running.Am I never going to use another PJ? well no! I'd like one with a more cinematic image,better blacks dvi inputs and higher supported resolutions.But then I didnt have another £300 spare at the time.So for the next year or two this is one happy Epson tw10h owner :thumbsup:

9. dinoprada2003

dinoprada2003

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +241
    ATTENTION!!!

Guy's I still stand by what iv'e said about the Epson for £550 it's great! however! the low res and pixely image are spoiling my enjoyment of films, Now bear in mind im using a 5ft DRH screen from only about 10ft away so I suppose I will see any and all imprefections :confused: Iv'e decided to send it back and go for the Sanyo plv-z2, As I *should* get a better picture.Dont let this put you off the epson though it's still a very GOOD pj! esp if it's your first one just too un CRT like for me :(

10. dekoded

dekoded

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    have you got your z2 yet dino?

if so what are your first impressions?

11. dinoprada2003

dinoprada2003

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +241
    Hello Johnnie

Decided against the z2 mate and have gone for a Hitachi PJ-tx100 instead.Not that the z2 is bad just that other A/V members recomended it over the z2.Also the Hitachi is supposed to be on par with the PTAE700.And as it was only couple of hundred more I thought what the heck as I wont be upgrading for years to come. :smashin:

DINO.