1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

i bought a sound meter and the results are interesting

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by sjp1966, Sep 15, 2005.

1. sjp1966

sjp1966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I bought a sound meter yesterday and ran the test tones last night with some interesting results.

I had called Harmon Kardon directly to ask advise, and their advise was this:

Put in a DVD and choose Dolby 5.1. as soon as the disk plays pause the disk then crank the volume to -6db. then run the test tones.

I would need to first run the test on the front left speaker, with the sound meter on C rating and slow and get it to about 75db which i did, and then i would need to do each speaker in turn.

After i have done this for DD5.1 i would need to do the same for DTS.

now i must admit it all sounds better, the dymamic range has not been compressed but everything sound a little more manageable (although i did leave the centre channel on about 80db), however one query i do have is that the settings on my speaker are now

FL * -2db
    Centre * -2db
    FR * -3db
    SR * -6db
    SL * -6db

it is roughly the same for DTS, is this right? i mean the meter says they are roughly 75db but -6db isnt that excessive?

2. binbag

binbag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    From what I've been reading on room acoustics a -6db correction isn't excessive; undesirable perhaps but really bad ones can go to much more than that.

3. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I would guess that the rear speakers are more sensitive than the fronts and would therefore have to be turned down a little to match the output of the less sensitive speakers at the front.

4. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    It's very normal. I would also guess that your rear speakers are much closer to a wall so have more boundary reinforcement than the remaining speakers. :)

5. sjp1966

sjp1966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Yeah that may be the case as the rears are (obviouslY) closer to my sitting position. he front and rear speaker are the same manufacturer (KEF Q4)

I am wondering that as long as i stick to 75db or thereabouts then that is all that matters rather the the */- of the db on the amp itself.

why do they need to be set to 75db anyway?

6. sjp1966

sjp1966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    They are fairly close to a wall (about 6 inches) although the fronts are tht distance away from a wall too.

sadly the room is not ideal for the equipment anyway

7. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    The most important thing is for all of your speakers to be set so that they replay at the same volume. The 75dB detail is so that the numbers on your amp display roughly correspond to the actual volume in dB at your listening position. :)