1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

i blew up my receiver! help

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by vector, Aug 28, 2005.

1. vector

vector

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So i turned it on, set the volume to min and started connecting a front speaker to the right front speaker output on the back of the receiver.
    The very moment the cable got inside the hole it started buzzing and after 3 seconds it clicked and smoke came out of the back approximately where the very output is. I immediately unplugged the power and when i tried to turn it back on it wouldnt turn on. I can just hear a click from the inside when i press the power button but it doesnt power up. the receiver is SONY STR-DE597
    What could i have done wrong? How bad is it? Do i need to buy new receiver? please help...

2. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think in most manuals for any electronic equipment it states "pls make sure that the unit is switched off before makeing any connections" so i think you're answer is in you're question :(

3. vector

vector

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    can it be fixed?

4. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    You've obviously shorted something out when connecting your speaker,and as recruit has already said,the rule with ALL electrical equipment is to have it turned off before making any connections to it.

Whats most likely is that you pushed too much wire into the outlet,and it's made contact with something else inside.

The best advice is to return it to the dealer you bought it from,but you will certainly have to expect a repair bill....virtually all current equipment should be repairable.

5. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes it can be fixed and i would speak to the dealership that you bought it from or else give sony a call and see what they say, anything is fixable but it may cost £££.

Good Luck..

6. vector

vector

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hmm i dont think i pushed too much wire into it. as i said that happened at the very moment the wire touched in and made connection .
    I cant figure out what i did wrong exept having it on while i connected - is that the reason it burned? BEcause ok i will get it fixed but how do i know the next time i connect it wont happen again.

7. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    It's quite clear from what you describe that something has caused a short....buzzing followed by smoke.

Whether or not it occured as a result of pushing too much wire in or not is probably immaterial,but is usually the most obvious reason,along with a few loose strands outside making contact where they shouldnt.

As for next time....make sure it's turned off prior to making any connections first,and using connections such as spades or banana plugs will ensure you cant push anything too far in,and also removes the possibility of loose wire strands.

8. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Good advice...and i would almost certainly use bannana plugs or spades as it makes a nice clean connection.. :)

9. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Just something I've always used on my gear,after the first few amps yrs ago...got tired of frayed and corroded wires,plus the current amps have no output protection and very high currents knocking around there.

Tidy,quick and totally reliable.

10. vector

vector

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i dont think that being on while i connect a speaker would cause such thing (but i would only know for sure if i have read the manual before connecting).. nor do i think that having the + and - making contact woud cause it to burn.. and i think that you cant push the wire too much in so it will contact with something else simply because its a speaker outlet and it should be isolated good... otherwise every 3-rd person would have his receiver burn.... thanks anyway for the advices, i'll try to send SONY an email or something and see what they can tell me
    (next time for sure i'll use banana blugs or spades)

11. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Very true Indeedy :thumbsup:

12. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Being honest,I think you're missing a bit of the advice here....if the +ve and -ve ends of your speaker leads make contact,there may well be a short of sufficient severity to damage the output transistors or other components resulting in overheating.

It is VERY possible that a piece of wire can make contact in this way inside a receiver/amp,and a quick look inside many will prove that,when you consider how closely packed most of them are inside.

Keeping it turned off while connecting up simply allows you to check all of the wiring before power is applied and massively reduces the chances of a short,thats all.

Forget emailing Sony,firstly as it will simply slow things down,and also as they will simply tell you to do what we have done,i.e. take it back to your dealer for repair.

13. Lionheart

Lionheart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    To be completely sure I always disconnect the plug from the power before connecting any kit together ...Whatever u do Dont take it back to the dealer (assuming it's still in warrenty) and make up some story that makes u look blameless...do u hear me...dont do it

14. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    I dont think this adds anything that hasnt already been said,and anyone foolish enough to take an obviously shorted piece of equipment back with anything less than an honest explanation would be making a clearly fraudulent claim.