1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I belive I can fly!

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by Taz, Feb 1, 2003.

1. Taz

Taz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Your answers to the following please........

The best Flight sim for PC at the moment? and whats the best joystick to get to go with it? and.. the best place to buy it all from.

Thanks in advance

Taz.

:hiya:

2. NeilMcRae

NeilMcRae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Have a look in WHSmiths for PC Flier [or something like that].
    I like Flight Sim 2000 and you can pick it up pretty cheap these days. The best joystick in my view is Microsofts Force Feedback 2.

Neil.

3. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,100
    The Logitechs are supposed to be quite good.

Depends on what flight sim you want, combat? Airliner? Normal planes?

And how real you want it.

4. Taz

Taz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just a normal flight sim, not combat, and as real as it gets;)

Taz.

5. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,014
    I hope you don’t mind me asking at the same time coming under the same banner Taz.
    Can any one recommend me a good Flight Sim/combat with not to many control’s last ones I played and enjoyed were Stealth Bomber, F15 Strike Eagle(both Micro Prose) and Wings.

6. OGIII

OGIII

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Taz - FS2002 Professional is the dogs do-dars. As real as it gets.

Interactive Airtrafic Control is a new feature that is quite interesting and you can simulate in flight problems such as engine failure etc etc

Stunning graphics (with a high spec PC you can fly in to downtown Hong Kong and see the waves lapping on the shore as you're on your final approach).

And of course you can download loads of planes, scenery, situations etc.

Garrett - MS Combat Flight Sim took my top billing for a good combination of shoot 'em up and realism. Graphics and game play are excellent. You can get straight in to the action with flying aides or go for more realism.

CFS2 didn't do much for me because the improvment over 1 was minimal and I prefer the European theatre rather than Pacific.

CFS3 is out now and I think I'll be giving that a go because it seems to be a big advance on the original (incliudes loads of ground targets) and is based on the Europeand campaign.

I use a Logitech Wingman Force feedback. Not sure it makes much difference what joystick as long as it's got Forcefeedback, a throttle control, hud switch (for looking around) and the usual array of buttons. PC world were doing a Sitec (not sure of spelling) with all the necsessaries mentioned above plus a twist grip for rudder control for 20 odd quid before Xmas!

7. RimBlock

RimBlock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    The company is Saitek :) .

They also do the X36 Joystick ad Throttle which I now have and think are great.

They cost around £100 (probably be able to pick them up for around £70 if yu shop around).

Good;
    Built like a brick outhouse,
    Loads of buttons including 4+ hat switches
    Each button can be shifted (with a 'pinkie' switch) doubleing commands available.
    3 modes of operation via 3 position switch, trippleing the above number of commands (i.e. 1 mode for combat, one for navigation and one for communication changeable via moving a thumb switch whilst playing).
    Point and click programable.
    Free community drivers and programming tools which work much better than the Saitek ones.

Bad;
    Saitek support (no tool to program joystick correctly for WinXP, questionable drivers).

Personally I believe you can't get anywhere near a joystick / throttle combination with just one joystick. Flight sims or giant stomping robots are just great to control when you don't have to touch the keyboard at all.

Cheers
    RB

8. PFM

PFM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Hey folks

I just bought a Logitech Freedom 2.4 wireless joystick, no wires no fuss (although no F- Feed back). But it really is the DB's Even works from downstairs (PC in upstairs office).

...why is this important you may ask?

Ever seen a top spec flight sim on an 8 foot screen?:devil: :D :devil:

9. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    I'm Currently Flying CFS3 with a Microsoft sidewinder precision 2 joystick which has rudder, trottle and Hat switch, I think you need all of these funtions with a good flight sim.
    CFS3 needs a hi-spec PC to look half decent.
    I am running
    1800XP
    512 ddr ram
    80gb seagate HD
    Nvidia 32mb mx200 graphics
    and I am only running 1024x768 graphics, quality set to 3 out of 5 and it some times goes slightly jerky, I guess I nee a new graphics card :(

Great flight sim though, and great sound effects of the guns and cannons recoiling :)

10. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    I'll second the logitec freedom, works beautifully with combat flight sim as above, on a fujitsu 50" plasma. Running at natural res, 1350x768 it's truly amazing.