Question I am torn between 2 speakers. Please help.

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Speakers' started by tesla005, Jan 10, 2019.

1. tesla005

tesla005
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi. I am about to buy a pair of speakers for my new hifi system and I can't decide between Q-Accoustics 3050i and Monitor Audio Bronze 6. I am going to be driving them with a used NAD 2*150w power amplifier and I will be listening almost only to vinyl records with the Rega Planar 3 (rock music).

2. Paul7777x

Paul7777x

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +798
    The only way to seriously choose is to hear both. Preferably in your home. Is that possible with shop loans perhaps?

If not, then using your amp in the shop is next best to choose between them, though that won’t necessarily transfer to your listening room.

It’s stiill best to listen first with your own music, but as you have and can’t decide I’d go for the cheaper pair.

3. BlueWizard

BlueWizard
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,133
    The Bronze 6 is a considerably bigger speaker with more bass drivers and deeper bass (34hz) -

Bronze 6 | Floorstanding Speakers | Monitor Audio

While the Q Acoustic 3050/3050i are good speakers, the bass is not that deep (44hz). However i can speak from experience when I say the 3050 do not sound like they lack bass.

Q Acoustics 3050i

Then we come to price. The Bronze 6 have been around for quite a while, so their prices are dropping. The Q Acouistics 3050i is newly released so their prices are about as high as they are ever going to be -

Monitor Audio Bronze 6 - £630/pr -

Monitor Audio Bronze 6 Floorstanding Speakers (Pair) - Superfi

Q Acoustic 3050i - £500/pr -

Q Acoustics Q3050i Floorstanding Speakers - Superfi

I think what you choose is going to be based on your room size, placement, and general circumstance.

For example, in a Flat with close-by neighbors, perhaps the deepest of the deep bass is not the best idea. However, if a detached home, deeper bass and more bass drivers might be OK. Again, circumstance dependent.

Listening distance. If you are 10ft (3m) or less, then you probably don't want large speakers with big bass drivers. However, if you listening distance is greater than 10ft (3m), you might be OK.

Whether the room is a small closed room or a larger open floor-plan will make a difference, as will whether the room is bare and reflective or soft and acoustically warm. The acoustics of the room very much effect the choice of the equipment.

Both speakers are good, so now it is a matter of determining which best suits you and your circumstances.

Steve/bluewizard

4. Southern soul

Southern soul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    Take some of your favourite music to your local dealer and give them a spin, it's the only way you will know which one will suit you, even better get a good rapour with your dealer and arrange a home demo of both speakers.