I am such a failure

Status
Not open for further replies.

=adrian=

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lost my job about 3 weeks ago, applied for about 100 different jobs since then (starting from mangment positions, assistant manager, supervisor, computer operator, trainee recruitment consultant, even marketing sales person, warehouse operator, call centre operator, general assistant, office assistant... you name it and I applied for it) and not a single interview. Overeducated for some of them, not enough experience for the rest.

Looks like this will be the worst Christmas ever... and what's even worse, is that it will be the first Christmas for my baby boy.

We are in pretty bad situation at the moment and I feel as such a failure.

I am trying to keep my head up, but it is quite hard.

Appologies for spamming the forums, but I feel pretty low at the minute and I think I just need to let it out somehow.

Well educated, young family, only unemployed for a few weeks. Keen enthusiastic and ready for a challenge.

Stop moping, it ain't that bad. Because if you do carry on feeling sorry for yourself, it will most definitely show in your job applications and/or interviews and then you are up the creek without a paddle. Times are tough but you are better placed than most.

Keep your chin up mate, the most important thing about Christmas is being with your family and job or no job that's where you'll be.

Its my son's first Xmas this year too so I know where your coming from, but he won't know what's going on really, just want to eat the rapping paper if he's anything like mine. He'll just be happy to have his mum and dad there together.

Keep positive and the job will come!

...it will be the first Christmas for my baby boy.

That's something to celebrate. Hang on in there, you'll be OK.

BTW. You're not a failure, believe me, and more importantly believe in yourself.

Lost my job about 3 weeks ago, applied for about 100 different jobs since then (starting from mangment positions, assistant manager, supervisor, computer operator, trainee recruitment consultant, even marketing sales person, warehouse operator, call centre operator, general assistant, office assistant... you name it and I applied for it) and not a single interview. Overeducated for some of them, not enough experience for the rest.

Looks like this will be the worst Christmas ever... and what's even worse, is that it will be the first Christmas for my baby boy.

Appologies for spamming the forums, but I feel pretty low at the minute and I think I just need to let it out somehow.

Who has said you are a failure?
You have lost your job, as have many people up and down the country (and around the world!!) yes you have so far failed to yet find another job, but you have 'only' been out of a job and looking for three weeks.
Keep applying, keep the enthusiasm going, you will find another job I'm sure.
Meanwhile enjoy the extra free time you have with your baby boy.

Dont worry about it mate, something will come along.

I finished Uni this year and was job hunting for around a month and a half before any interviews came along. Then all of a sudden I had 5 interviews in 3 weeks and got a job from one of them.

Funnily enough, it was from the interview I least expected to get a job from!

Sounds like some of your job apps may come across as generic or not right for the role, do you need to change tyour tact and look like the role your appyling for is the 'only' one for you?

Thanks, I'm trying to be positive, but from time to time it gets to me.

It would not be such a disaster if we had some savings or spare money, but we don't. We just had enough money (taken from my overdraft) to pay for this month bills and after that... we are broke with debt.

I was promised the job until at least march, so I stopped looking for something else and made few dodgy financial decisions, but then they changed their minds soon after.

Oh well, life goes on I guess. I will feel better tomorrow, I hope.

You are NOT a failure. Your strong 'work ethic' shines out like a lighthouse beacon. :)

No one in their right mind would give a man with a strong management background a job as an office assistant, would they?

So I do hope you haven't just prepared one big CV and then just bang it in with a letter for each and every job you apply for. Now just think about it a little and then don't forget to tailor your applications according to the job you are applying for. Some might not even need a written application if you are as desperate to apply for some of the lower grade ones as you say you are.

And like a previous poster has said, be a bit less desperate and stressed up about it. This might be the thing that's coming to the fore when you are being interviewed. Do you come over as a potential pain to work with?

Something will come along, I'm sure. Also, you'll have a perfect reason for wanting to apply for the next job after that, namely, 'The money in this job just isn't good enough'.

Thanks, I'm trying to be positive, but from time to time it gets to me.

It would not be such a disaster if we had some savings or spare money, but we don't. We just had enough money (taken from my overdraft) to pay for this month bills and after that... we are broke with debt.

I was promised the job until at least march, so I stopped looking for something else and made few dodgy financial decisions, but then they changed their minds soon after.

In my opinion you're far from a failure, Adrian. As has been said, you're well educated and have a family to be thankful for and cherish. Ok, you've been one of the many who have unfortunately lost their jobs but you're not taking it lying down. You're trying your hardest to turn it around and get going again which takes some doing.

I wish I could offer something to help as know you're a very nice bloke and know your stuff but I'm sorry to say I can't. It may sound easy for me to say this but don't keep looking on the downside of it all, use is as something to drive you to get back on your feet, if not for you then for your son.

...and yes, why not? You have responsibilities now, and as such I would guess this will ultimately be a joy for you, don't give up.

:)

Don't worry about your son in the xmas sense.
My kids always preferred the boxes over the presents when they were very young anyway :)

Your strong 'work ethic' shines out like a lighthouse beacon.

I agree with this, hence you'll be okay mate, I'm sure.

Your not mate, this is a nice place to vent if you feel comfortable doing so and from what I have seen in the many years ive had the honor of being a member you will get a lot of supportive replys :smashin:

As long as your ok at the moment and you have your family for the holidays you can get yourself sorted next year when all the temps for the holiday season go and they start looking for permanent staff :)

Hope you have a nice holiday with your family mate.

All the best mate, i hope things pick up for you in the new year.

December is the worst time to look for jobs as most companies aren't hiring this close to end of year. You should be able to find loads of shop assistant work for the xmas sales though. Keep your Head up and keep looking. Good luck.

chin up mate,i,ve been in the same position ,my last permanent job was around 3 years ago,i,m a single parent and have been doing agency work since i got made redundant,i,ve had plenty of times where i wonder where the next pennys coming from,i,ve been in my current position since june,and very recently i have been told that i,m the preferred candidate to fill the permanent position that i,ve been covering,to say i,m over the moon is an understatement,when i started my current position i was feeling the same was as yourself,but things always pop up when you least expect them ,and your time will come:)

I really appreciate all the responses. Thank you all.

I feel a bit better after dinner, strong coffee and some nice quality time spent with my family.

Actually, I do regret posting this thread a little. I know there are people in far worse situation out there, who are somehow managing and not feeling sorry for themselves.

I really want my son to have everything he wants/needs and this is the main reason I felt bad, as everytime we go shopping for food we need to make some tough decisions.

Also after only 3 hours of sleep I was really tired today (my son is teething). I feel better now and I promise I won't feel sorry for myslef anymore.

I am very motivated and I know I will find work, I just wish it will be tomorrow, not in few weeks/months.

Also I took on board all the advises and will look into improving my CV and also creating few more versions.

Once again thank you all :smashin:

EDIT: Please close this thread.

Last edited:
You're not a failure, just down on your luck - and even then you're not that really! You've got a wife, kid, family, etc

Don't worry about "not being able to provide" for your sons first xmas - do you remember your first xmas? No, and neither will he!

Also stop with the "worst xmas ever" just because you're not flush financially for presents - people put too much emphasis on presents at xmas. Just be thankful you've got a family around you to spend that time with, and who I'm sure will understand it's a finacially difficult time for you. Again, could be a lot worse - I'd say the "worst xmas ever" would be if a family member or loved one died around the holidays.

And don't worry about spamming the forums - everyone is entitled to vent now and again!

best of luck with the job hunt pal! And like others have said - make the most of the time off at the mo, and spend it with your son!

Most of us have been through this or similar, always seems to happen at the worst possible time (in my case between house purchase and birth of first child). Trick is not to let it get you down, and spend all the hours you would normally spend at work getting your details out there and applying carefully and in detail to anything that is suitable. If this doesn't work after a while, try to get some out of hours agency / temp work so you can carry on searching in the daytime (but not until after you've had a good Xmas). Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom