I am shocked at this video by Gamespot

oasismark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What a bias, awful, wrong video to be putting out there.

I'm not surprised, clickbait video is clickbait...

Last edited:
It WILL get you angry as a xbox owner.

It WILL get you angry as a xbox owner.

It really didn't, I couldn't care less what anyone else thinks of the Xbox One let alone random people Gamespot have decided to point a camera at. Why does it get you angry? You didn't make the Xbox One. If Microsoft sells more of them you don't get more money!? Does that video somehow diminish the enjoyment you get out of your console?

As long as you enjoy it and get value from it does anybody elses opinion really matter?

I've heard about long install times, but I've never experienced them myself.

I have a friend who works in CEX and he has to install games to make sure they/the console work and he's said it's taken 12 hours to install.
I've never had it take any more than 20-30 minutes(the MCC installing from disc whilst also downloading the 15GB update).

I don't think it's too bad it's the opinion of their staff, they also made similar videos about the PS4 and Wii U.

Sounds like some like the Xbox One, some like other consoles but most from those videos seem to like PC.

Seems like the biggest issue they have is the UI but all in all doesn't seem too bad to me.

You own a xbox, you know its a good console, any parents who watch that for xmas present advice will run a mile from it. it even suggests, 'you will be bullied for having a xbox one' for god sake!

few quotes

'The interface is actively out to get me' I cant get to settings without using kinect - wrong

'Interface is a stupid mess, its more designed to advertise things to me, than let me do thin things i want'??. xbox has less adverts that the PS4 'whats happening ' app.

'clumsy, confusing, and getting to settings is really confusing' , these are people who sit at and use consoles for their job!

' im being made fun of in the office' for owning a xb1, really? You will be bullied if you get a xb1'

Really don't get all the criticism that the interface gets. Sure there's a bit more of a learning curve and there's a lot of information surfaced but nobody is that pea brained to struggle to comprehend more than one piece of information at once. At least I hope they're not.

It really didn't, I couldn't care less what anyone else thinks of the Xbox One let alone random people Gamespot have decided to point a camera at. Why does it get you angry? You didn't make the Xbox One. If Microsoft sells more of them you don't get more money!? Does that video somehow diminish the enjoyment you get out of your console?

As long as you enjoy it and get value from it does anybody elses opinion really matter?

While those points are valid, and I wouldn't get worked up over somebody's opinion, I do want the console to be successful. The bigger the user base of a console the more developers will release their games on the system. The more games released on the system the greater choice and competition drives up quality.

If enough people have a poor opinion of the console, your own experience of the console will be negatively affected, without you realising it.

I've heard about long install times, but I've never experienced them myself.

I have a friend who works in CEX and he has to install games to make sure they/the console work and he's said it's taken 12 hours to install.
I've never had it take any more than 20-30 minutes(the MCC installing from disc whilst also downloading the 15GB update).

I had to install Forza from disc on day one. I took it to my parents to install their on their 50 meg connection and it took hours installing the day one patch. I hate to think how long it would have taken on my 1.5 meg to 2.5 meg connection. Install times are definitely an issue.

the big question is how did some of them get jobs, 7 hours to install some DLC and could not find the settings, otherwise click bait and just flat up daft double logic by folks justifying their own PS4 purchase. Actually quite amusing a supposedly serious news outlet is putting out opinion pieces like that, Xbox might not have sold as well as PS4 but that's still quite a market share to potentially alienate.

I see the points about enjoying your console for what it does but I also agree with @STANNY08 that it is absolutely appalling that a supposedly reputable gaming site is posting such misinformed, outdated nonsense. People place stock in sites like this when doing google searches etc. I'm all for constructive criticism - as I expect Eurogamer's will be - but that's just utter juvenile drivel.

When was the video actually taken, lots of updates have massively changed the XB1 including UI since the start!

Only good thing about that video and the PS4 equivalent is the sexy female gamers

@LemonGrab Have you got a link to the PS4 version? I had a look but couldn't find it.

What a bias, awful, wrong video to be putting out there.

Why let it bother you. It's clearly such a staged Pro PS4 video to the point of being embarrassing. Oh but they put the one guy in who said he loved it try to offer some credibility to the video...

So many of the discussed points are those escalated in the early months, and their comments are so way off that it would suggest they really don't know what their talking about, and have probably hardly used the machine, but simply read about the "issues" and quoted them for themselves.

It's just a console guys.... They all do some things well and other things less well. At the end of the day though, they all play games so that does for me. Beats all this playground style bickering anyway.

Gamespot as a site has been going downhill for the last few years. If you look at some of the content on their forums it's quite childish. The only show I watch on there is the lobby, more for entertainment than serious info. I don't agree with many of the reviews they publish and I believe quite a few staff got fired lately.

I don't need to watch a video to know, PS4 is a little more powerful, Xbox live is better than PSN and other than that not a lot of difference, everything else is subjective.

Thanks @LemonGrab, vids are blocked for me at the moment but will take a look later.

@CAS FAN I get that and it's not like I lose sleep over something like this, but the issue I have is that it's this kind of misinformed clickbait that gives decent gaming journalism a bad name. Even good sites like Edge have fallen foul of it over the last couple of years. Whether it's editorial arrogance, or a pervasive juvenile mentality, or something even less savoury, like being in a sponsor's pocket, I don't know.

I want to see the gaming equivalent of Reuters - reporting news as objectively as possible, and verifying sources before reporting. It's depressing to see this race to the bottom amongst gaming sites.

Last edited:
To be fair, watching the two videos as a multi platform owner, I do agree with most of what they say. Design wise, UI wise etc. the PS4 is better IMO (although the Xbox does have some things that I like such as rear and side USB ports). When it comes to media functionality I always go for the xbox and hardly ever use the PS4 for anything other than games. The Xbox has had some good exclusives (probably for me as a driving game fan a bit better than the PS4, although I do love Drive Club on PS4), but the draw has been to buy multi platform games on the PS4.

If I had a better gaming PC, then they would probably get bought on the PC and then both consoles would be exclusives machines.

At launch the PS4 was much stronger as a console IMO, but for or me the pros and cons of each about balance out now. I've not tried One Guide on the Xbox for a while as when I last tried it, it was clunky and I just found it much harder to navigate than the Sky guide. If they nailed that, so that it worked as well as Sky guide then that would be another huge plus for the xbox.

I would say that my main issue with the XB1 is the UI and that will probably always be the case unless they completely revise it, away from the Win 8 OS. I have got it to where I can navigate around OK now, with my most used stuff as pins, but when it comes to finding something else it's just a chore. It's a strange one really as MS have made their name on the back of PC OSs and UIs, yet for me the UI is the weakest part of the XB1. In some respects, the design of the PS4 is great and the console looks fantastic IMO. That said, for a company which has their foundations in designing consumer AV tech, the location of the USB's and the design of the on/off & eject buttons is pretty poor.

Has anyone actually got on to them to correct them?

When I watched it last night there were about 60% dislikes, and a huge chunk of the comments were about how it was a hatchet piece.

The thing is, I don't necessarily disagree with some of the comments - I initially found the UI less than intuitive. It doesn't make that video any less of an embarrasssment.

Thanks @LemonGrab, vids are blocked for me at the moment but will take a look later.

@CAS FAN I get that and it's not like I lose sleep over something like this, but the issue I have is that it's this kind of misinformed clickbait that gives decent gaming journalism a bad name. Even good sites like Edge have fallen foul of it over the last couple of years. Whether it's editorial arrogance, or a pervasive juvenile mentality, or something even less savoury, like being in a sponsor's pocket, I don't know.

I want to see the gaming equivalent of Reuters - reporting news as objectively as possible, and verifying sources before reporting. It's depressing to see this race to the bottom amongst gaming sites.
I really don't think that most of their points are wrong though and I guess that the whole reports are intended to be the personal opinions of the various Journos as opposed to their fully objective reviews. The issue then is that folk who have invested in just the one brand feel upset by their views.

It's a tough one to be honest as whilst I like the XB1, if someone with no previous experience of either was to ask which I would recommend them to buy then in most cases I would suggest the PS4. Last gen I would have said that for most, the XB360 would have been the best option. Doesn't mean that I didn't like the PS3 and infact I spent most of the 2nd half of last gen on the PS3, but the XB360 was just more user friendly and had a much better online system.

I guess that if folk are enjoying their console then that is great and that should be all that matters to them. If not careful though, some folk could end up spending most of this gen trying to justify their purchase to PS4 owners and that is just pointless IMO. I'm sure that the XB1 will do OK this gen. It probably won't sell as many units as the PS4, but it's still a decent console and will continue to get better and better.

While those points are valid, and I wouldn't get worked up over somebody's opinion, I do want the console to be successful. The bigger the user base of a console the more developers will release their games on the system. The more games released on the system the greater choice and competition drives up quality.

If enough people have a poor opinion of the console, your own experience of the console will be negatively affected, without you realising it.

A fair point, I just don't think we are in a place yet where we can say this gen has been "won" or more importantly that there is a significant enough lead from Sony to be of detriment to Xbox owners with exclusives etc

Is the video bad? Yes Does it make me want to flip a table? No

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom