1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I am selling my Hitachi pd5200, any advice on replacement

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by nm10721, Oct 26, 2005.

1. nm10721

nm10721
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I am selling it for £800 to a friend because of the

-High def issues with Sky
    -poor processing of sky pictures (8 bit i think)
    -I want a 50"
    -It has to be HD ready
    -and run an xbox360/ps3 at high def

My budget would be about £2000 and would consider a Plasma, Rear projection or anything else really that encompasses all of the above features

I seen this, which looks good, mentioned elsewhere, but its a bit out of my price range:

PHILIPS 50PF7320

http://www.plasma-screen.co.uk/

Any help would be great,

thanks

2. jedi-jae

jedi-jae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    It is possible that Hitachi may make a DVI upgrade available that will accept 720p at 50Hz, if this happens then the screen is as HD ready as it needs to be. This comes from my Hitachi authorised service agent dealer who spoke to them directly when I raised this issue with them.

Xbox360 and PS3 may not even use 720p 50Hz, it is most likely the user will be able to set the console to suit their display. The 5200 supports 720p 60Hz and 1080i at both.

But if you want a 50" screen, then fair enough, you need to change!

3. nm10721

nm10721
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    thanks for your advice mate,

cheers

4. loadsofleads

loadsofleads

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As a 5200 owner myself I'm going to hold on until Sky actually starts it's HD service and then see if it will work. I have played the XBOX on my screen in High Definition and it looks sublime, it would be a pity if it won't show Sky HD :(

5. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,410
    Well I went fr the stylish 50" Samsung DLP when I traded my 5200 in

Not at all disapointed - its got the best picture I have ever seen and in 10 years of buying HC stuff its the best purchase I have ever made - more impressive than when I forked out on a new Denon A1D when it was released

No matter what you connect to it it gives a fantastic picture and its just great

6. nm10721

nm10721
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Oh my god are you talking about the SAMSUNG SP50L7HXX from Curry's because thats exactly what I had in mind! However I am torn between this and an LG 52SZ8R for £2199 in Currys, although there is little info on the web about this one, the HD pq actually appeared better to me on the LG showing the same HD video plus its 52", did you see the LG 52SZ8R at all before buying the Samsung? The LG fills the screen close to each edge which is nice, but the Samsung looks very stylish, it has to be said

7. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,410
    The samsung was a no brainer - just really liked the look

its just a fantastic set - have hcpc connected to dvi - dvd to component and sky+ via RGB - it all looks great

HD clips via the PC are stunning - chrisp and clear - never saw what fuss was about but now understand when people say "its like looking out the window"

8. Three6ty

Three6ty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    Hi
    Any news on this "Upgrade"? Do you know what Hitachi or the user would do to the tv to get 720p@50hz? Anyone else know anything about this?
    This could be great news for alot of 5200 owners.
    Cheers, Rich

9. jedi-jae

jedi-jae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Well, all I know, from my dealer who spoke to an Hitachi techie was that an upgrade to the DVI connection is being considered, it won't be possible to upgdrade the component input though.

For the time being we have to wait until Spring when Sky start broadcasting, and there will probably be a fee too, but to be honest, if they weren't considering this upgrade it would have been far easier for them to have said "no, sorry, there's nothing we can do".

Fingers crossed and if I hear more I'll post it prominently.

10. ricki1980

ricki1980

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +214
    Hitachi have already done the upgrade denoted with the PD5200 H model, Hitachi have advised there will be no upgades for non H series models.
    As a result I also sold my 5200 and bought a 7200 model great improvement all round including good NTL RGB performance..

11. jedi-jae

jedi-jae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    That's not what I'm told. Where did Hitachi advise what you suggest?

12. avunknown

avunknown

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    sure I read in the manual that the 7200 only does 720@60hz same as the manual for the 5200 any suggestions before I spend my £1900.

cheers

STEVE

13. jedi-jae

jedi-jae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    My manual says that too, but as I said this is a proposed upgrade to the DVI input allowing 720p at 50Hz

14. Plasma Fan

Plasma Fan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You guys are missing the point here. The Sky HD box will broadcast in either 720p50 or 1080i25. The box will decide which signal to send to the 5200. It will work perfectly with the 5200, which is compatible with 1080i50 (25 in Sky speak).

I would take a step back before selling just yet...unless upsizing is a real necessity.

PF.

15. jedi-jae

jedi-jae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    No, it's determined by the programme. If it is made in 720p then that is what your Sky box will send to your display. It's been widely reported that the user will have no control over the box and how it outputs. Find me a display that supports 1080i at 25Hz, I doubt you will. Mine does 1080i at either 50 or 60.

So if I want Sky HD (which I'm not sure I do) I need my display to support 720p at 50Hz.