I am sad

shaun24

Established Member
Reaction score
I am really sad at the moment as i think i need to put my pet dog to sleep as he is so ill :(

He has got cancer and he can't stand up as everytime he stands up he falls back down and i think the cancer has spread to he's legs :(

I am just upset at this :(:(

Horrible situation to be in and have been there before. But if your dog is suffering its the right thing to do. Not that its any consolation.

Awful situation shaun. You have to do what's best for your dog, even though it will be really painful for you too.

why not give the vet a ring then go buy the finest steak you can find and give your dog a last meal it will never forget.

Very sorry to hear this. :(
a few years ago had to have one of my cats put down after she had a tumour on her leg. Her last day she couldn't walk. To this day, I deeply regret not having her put to sleep a few days earlier to save the suffering she must have gone through in those last couple of days.
I know it it's a terribly upsetting thing that you have to do but you're doing it out of love and what's best for your dog.

why not give the vet a ring then go buy the finest steak you can find and give your dog a last meal it will never forget.

I would love to buy a steak for him but he can't eat as i tried him with some dog meat but it won't eat it, he just keeps looking away. :(

Very sorry to hear this. :(
a few years ago had to have one of my cats put down after she had a tumour on her leg. Her last day she couldn't walk. To this day, I deeply regret not having her put to sleep a few days earlier to save the suffering she must have gone through in those last couple of days.
I know it it's a terribly upsetting thing that you have to do but you're doing it out of love and what's best for your dog.

Sorry to hear about your cat :(

It's really horrible when things likes this happens to one of our pets

It sucks when pets get to that stage in their life. Think yourself lucky that they are just an animal and if it were a human loved one you would be forced to string the inevitable out for as long as it took without the option of a dignified death to end the suffering.

MY cat was left with brain damage after being attacked. Couldn't get up as all one side was paralyzed. Was at the vet for a few days hoping things would get better but didn't. Mentally she was ok so it was a horrible prospect.
In the end I brought her home and got the vet round to do the job. It was very difficult to do and still makes me choke but it was for the best. At least I know she went quietly, sure she had a smile on her face. Hope all goes well mate, it's a hard choice and a horrible one.

We were spared the decision with our Lab a few years ago.

He was getting very close to the point where we'd have to put him down, but was getting a new lease of life with half a steroid pill every other day! He had tumours in his lungs, his liver was shot and he had a weak heart. Believe it or not, he walked out behind a reversing van and it knocked him down. Barely touched him but we think the shock was too much for his knackered old heart. He got up, walked to the front garden and lay down for the last time.

(bloody hell, something in my eye...) :blush:

Really sorry for your situation, going to be horrible to make the call, but worse if you let him go on too long. We have 3 dogs at the minute so some tough times ahead in about 8-10 years.

Final word of advice by the way. If you haven't seen it already, don't ever watch Marley & Me. It will kill you, trust me.:(

Final word of advice by the way. If you haven't seen it already, don't ever watch Marley & Me. It will kill you, trust me.:(

I've seen this film twice - once before I was a dog-owner and once after. My reaction was very different both times (the only consistent thing was wanting to punch Owen Wilson in the face - that didn't change).

+1 that movie is a bit messed up, it starts off as some kind of comedy film and continues throughout then the dog dies, the end.

what were they thinking? :confused:

I thought it was an excellent film. Marley was such a big part of their life from puppy to old dog to the inevitable end. Most of us have been through the same at some stage which is why it's so hard to watch as a dog owner and especially one who has been through the process of seeing your dog grow old.

Barely a soul left the cinema before the credits were complete and the lights came on, they were all too busy composing themselves again. :blush:

We got our dog put down in Januuary..18 she was.
It was the best thing for her, she couldn't walk and was completely incontinent.

Everyone in the family was upset, for weeks after too..
A few months later, we did succumb, and did eventually go and buy a Huskie pup, and by golly, strange to say, she has filled a hole, and it's smiles all round again, as she is just as thick and silly as Lady was when she was a pup.
Still won't forget her, but the house was just so empty without a dog, and the kids just missed the dog terribly.

It is very upsetting, but you will, and do get over it...we still talk about her daily, usually when Mishka does something naughty or silly.

As to Marley and Me, if you don't get a lump in your throat with that, or start to bubble away, you must be dead..they need to ban that movie.. :rotfl:

Thats a shame.
I havn't had a dog in my life for around 15 years and I can still remember how each passed.
The last dog we had we had to give away while it was still a youngster as my mother had just passed away and me and my father were slowly going our separate ways.
We gave it to the police, a guy came round and tested it and even shot a blank off next it to test its reaction. He took it away there and then. That was still quite upsetting for a burly teenager.

We are picking up our first family dog this weekend and although I know there will be at least 15 years of fun and games ahead, at the back of my mind I know that we will have to deal with a situation similar to yours and the eventual loss.

Just need to buck up and remember all the good times.
Do you think you will replace him in the near future? That may help.

Last edited:
My sympathy Shaun, it's definitely a terrible thing to have to do, but as others have said you have to do what is best for the dog, not for yourself.

We lost our previous dog Sophia (see avatar) 5 years ago now. we finally got a replacement a year ago. This one is as mad as all Spinone and over the weekend stuck her head in a wasps nest in the middle of a local field while out with my wife. We needed the urgent attention of our vet and a good dose of steroids to settle things, I thought we were going to lose her at one point. The amusing thing is that she ran off and left my wife in the field surrounded by a swarm of wasps which were getting inside her clothing and stinging her repeatedly. My wife stripped off and continued flailing at the wasps as a train went by on the East Coast main line. Quite what the passengers thought of this strange middle aged woman stripped to the bare essentials and supposedly waving at the train I don't know. Obviously they wouldn't have seen the wasps. My wife can laugh about it now, but is still very sore!

Sorry to hear this sad news. Just remember the good times and if you can make his last days happy then you're doing the best you can for him.

Just an update:

We have phoned vets up and they sending someone to our house tomorrow but i don't know if they are going to put him to sleep we will just have to wait and see but if they do at least i won't be in.

Not been horrible to my dog its just i don't want to see it if they going to put him to sleep as it will be upsetting to watch hope you can understand where i am coming from. :(

Thoughts with you mate. Our dog is a part of the family - a family member that we love no matter how many wacky things he does. I understand how difficult this must be for you.

My thoughts with you. Still remember my dog who went into the back garden to pass away.

She just knew it was her time.

Maybe consider being there though. As it may feel empty if you come back afterwards. Only if you can though. I can't begin to imagine how tough that could be to do.

I have lost five cats over the years, each and very one was a sad loss:(, the last the worst because he suffered so much with cancer

I am really sad at the moment as i think i need to put my pet dog to sleep as he is so ill :(

He has got cancer and he can't stand up as everytime he stands up he falls back down and i think the cancer has spread to he's legs :(

I am just upset at this :(:(
Firstly, I assume you've consulted a vet on what if anything can be done to help him whilst he's alive?

If you have, and the vet advises that nothing helpful can be done, then please accept my sympathies for your distress. I know how attached you can become.

However, also remember that dogs aren't people. He's suffering, but doesn't know why. All he feels is continual pain and bewilderment. In nature, he would have gone long ago. It's possible that unwittingly you are prolonging his life simply because you feel you should. Please don't think I'm getting at you, because I'm certainly not, but also remember that his life is bringing him nothing. Let him go, and grieve for him. But don't keep him alive simply because it's what you want.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom