I am putting a list together of cross platform VR games

MikeKay1976

Distinguished Member
for the purposes of playing together MP, so we cah choose what storefront we need to buy from.

if anyone has tried, or knows for certain (no false postitives please) of games where oculus store and steam store (PSVR store a bonus) players can play together please post here

also any which we know are LOCKED is also good info.

only just started, list so far is here

Oculus Discussion Forums

ArmitageShanks

War Thunder (cross-platform on just about everything I think, other than PSVR)
RecRoom (Oculus, Steam)

Battlezone is locked on all platforms AFAIK.

Nivek TT

Distinguished Member
Pretty sure Rec Room is cross-compat between Oculus Home and Steam

Sportsbar VR and Cloudlands need to be on that list, either 'is' or 'is not'. Not sure myself I'm afraid

MikeKay1976

Distinguished Member
thanks.. yeah i did my homework on that and updated yesterday as it is on my radar.... i want to keep option open to play against my vive owning mate however

Nivek TT

Distinguished Member
A mention was made of Blazerush on the Oculus forums but as the Steam version doesn't support VR at all I don't think its really of interest here. Vive owners can play the Oculus version via Revive though.

Presuming Ed

thanks.. yeah i did my homework on that and updated yesterday as it is on my radar.... i want to keep option open to play against my vive owning mate however

Yeah obviously you can buy on Steam and it works, but there are some limitations for Oculus users on the Steam version - you see 'proper' hands in many of the games on the Oculus version, but just Oculus controllers on the Steam version.

Word is there's cross platform MP support across Oculus, Vive and PSVR on the way.

MikeKay1976

Distinguished Member
A mention was made of Blazerush on the Oculus forums but as the Steam version doesn't support VR at all I don't think its really of interest here. Vive owners can play the Oculus version via Revive though.

i think it was worth me putting on there as i know of at least 2 people who bought the steam version in error :(

MikeKay1976

Distinguished Member
Yeah obviously you can buy on Steam and it works, but there are some limitations for Oculus users on the Steam version - you see 'proper' hands in many of the games on the Oculus version, but just Oculus controllers on the Steam version.

Word is there's cross platform MP support across Oculus, Vive and PSVR on the way.

ah right so, the game works better on the steam version for vive, and better on the oculus store for the rift? if so...... that gives me a decision to make

Presuming Ed

ah right so, the game works better on the steam version for vive, and better on the oculus store for the rift? if so...... that gives me a decision to make

Looks like the cross platform update could only be days away now. Without cross platform MP you'd have to buy Steam I think. But hang on a day, maybe a week, and see what happens. If cross platform MP is here, then Oculus is the one to buy. I think it's about £8 in their sale at the moment.

I play it so much I'll probably buy the Oculus version once cross platform is here.

Presuming Ed

This is an obscure one, but I believe Pierhead Arcade supports cross platform MP in a primitive way.

When you open the game you can enter the IP address of a server you want to join, which bypasses all the MP APIs.

I don't know anyone else who has it, so can't test it, but read that it supported different platforms via this method.

MikeKay1976

Distinguished Member
Thanks.... good to know. that said, if its a hack of sorts i will keep it off for now if that is ok (but wont put on the "no" list either....

if i am making a list i would rather deal in certainties and official support.

MikeKay1976

Distinguished Member
Looks like the cross platform update could only be days away now. Without cross platform MP you'd have to buy Steam I think. But hang on a day, maybe a week, and see what happens. If cross platform MP is here, then Oculus is the one to buy. I think it's about £8 in their sale at the moment.

I play it so much I'll probably buy the Oculus version once cross platform is here.

as you seem to be following it... you mentioned that the hand controllers are not as good for the rift on steam as they are on the oculus store version.

I take it that is the only difference as a rift user? Do you know if this is going to be patched?

thanks again

Presuming Ed

as you seem to be following it... you mentioned that the hand controllers are not as good for the rift on steam as they are on the oculus store version.

I take it that is the only difference as a rift user? Do you know if this is going to be patched?

thanks again

Well it's not that the hand control isn't as good - actual control is faultless and works really well on the Steam version. It's just that your 'Oculus hands' don't appear in the Steam version.

This is the Oculus trailer

You can see various bits where you can see your Oculus hands - playing ramp ball, holding a trophy, pointing, playing air hockey whatever. But in the Steam version you only ever see Oculus controllers, you never see hands. Although when actually playing pool, you see Oculus controllers in both.

There are also the Oculus avatar things - they're only visible on the Oculus home version.

Those differences apart, the games are, as I understand it, identical.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom