I am not getting 4k-HDR through my Yamaha RX-V581 on Windows 10 PC

zaselim

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone.
So like the title says my receiver (Yamaha RX-V581) is working fine on my PS4pro/PS5 (full 4k/60-HDR) but its not giving me 4k resolution on my PC instead it shows 1080p as native. But when I connect the PC directly to my TV (using any of the 2 HDMI cables I am using with receiver and PC) it works fine and gives full 4k/60fps/HDR. The same cables work perfectly on my PS4Pro/PS5 as well with the receiver so I don't think that it is a HDMI cable issue. I have already set my hdmi mode to 1, on the receiver.
What could be the reason for me having this issue?
I'll really appreciate the help, Thanks.

Edit: Ok so i have a new development, In my TV(Samsung mu7350) for me to get 4K-HDR I have to enable the "HDMI UHD Colors" option without it it doesn't give HDR. Now I turned it off on HDMI-ARC (where receiver is connected) the signal from receiver automatically went to 4k but now the HDR is disabled and i am not even getting the option in windows 10.

If you've already set the 4K Mode to Mode 1 then there;s no reason why the AV receiver wouldn't be able to paassthrough HDR encoded video content.

Again, ensure that the cables are not to blame, both those from source to AVR and from AVR to TV. Note that the ability to convey the signal to a display without the AV receiver being within the signal path is no idication of a cables actual quality or abil;ty. Just because it can do this is no indication that it will when the AV receiver is handlibng the sifgnal.

If you've already set the 4K Mode to Mode 1 then there;s no reason why the AV receiver wouldn't be able to paassthrough HDR encoded video content.

Again, ensure that the cables are not to blame, both those from source to AVR and from AVR to TV. Note that the ability to convey the signal to a display without the AV receiver being within the signal path is no idication of a cables actual quality or abil;ty. Just because it can do this is no indication that it will when the AV receiver is handlibng the sifgnal.
So to be sure I need to get high quality Hdmi 2.0 or 2.1 cables and connect with them and see what happens. Are there any high quality display (1.4) to hdmi (2.1) port convertors you know of?

Cables are not categorised by HDMI version numbers. You'd need a cable rated HIGH SPEED (18 Gbps).

Neither your TV nor the AV receiver have HDMI 1.4 chipsets and they are both eqquipped with at least HDMI 2,0. They's also both be HDRCP 2.2 compliant. No, there's no convertor and no convertor would be required.

I'd suggest the following cables as being both reliable and affordable:
Amazon product ASIN B014I8SSD0

Cables are not categorised by HDMI version numbers. You'd need a cable rated HIGH SPEED (18 Gbps).

Neither your TV nor the AV receiver have HDMI 1.4 chipsets and they are both eqquipped with at least HDMI 2,0. They's also both be HDRCP 2.2 compliant. No, there's no convertor and no convertor would be required.

I'd suggest the following cables as being both reliable and affordable:
Amazon product ASIN B014I8SSD0
I know this after a while but i still have this issue.
Now i have new certified 4k/120 2.1 48gpbs hdmi cables and i am still getting native 1080p when connected through my receiver. I have added a 2nd 4k display and i am having the same problem on it as well.

Earlier Yamaha (and other manufacturers') receivers (from 2020) used an HDMI chipset that couldn't do 4K 120Hz HDR, whilst slightly later receivers (2021) need a firmware patch, available from MusicCast RX-V581 - Downloads - Yamaha - Other European Countries.

You can check your specific RX_V581 at: Update for HDMI Compatibility of Select 2020 AV Receivers with Certain Gaming, Video Devices (December 2021) - Yamaha - Other European Countries.

There's also huge thread about it if you scroll down a bit and a summary at Yamaha Aventage receivers receive support for 4K 120Hz and HDR10+ - Crast.net.

Earlier Yamaha (and other manufacturers') receivers (from 2020) used an HDMI chipset that couldn't do 4K 120Hz HDR, whilst slightly later receivers (2021) need a firmware patch, available from MusicCast RX-V581 - Downloads - Yamaha - Other European Countries.

You can check your specific RX_V581 at: Update for HDMI Compatibility of Select 2020 AV Receivers with Certain Gaming, Video Devices (December 2021) - Yamaha - Other European Countries.

There's also huge thread about it if you scroll down a bit and a summary at Yamaha Aventage receivers receive support for 4K 120Hz and HDR10+ - Crast.net.
Right now getting 4k/120 is not my concern but getting native 4k/60 is. Right now i am using a forced 3840x2160 resolution as in nvidia panel it showing 1080p as native.
So with this new firmware i will be able to get full native 4k support? How do i update the firmware can you tell me, will it work through usb? I read that i can also do it through network, how can i do that? And will the firmware update reset my speaker/woofer settings?
Thanks.

Last edited:
The RXV581 cannot be updated to give it the ability to convey 4K 120Hz, but it is 4K 60Hz compliant without any need of a firmware revision.

• HDMI (4 in / 1 out) 4K Ultra HD Full Support with 4K60p (4:4:4), HDCP2.2 (4 in / 1 out), HDR Video and BT.2020 pass-through.

It doesn't support Dolby Vision or HDR10+ though and isn;t eARC enabled. It has ARC compliance and HDR is limited to HDR10.

It would still be advisable that you update the AV receiver's firmware if you've never previously done so. You can access the latest version and read more about the update here:

There's also an update manual that tells you how to either update the AV receiver by downloading the furmware and using a USB stick or using a direct network connection to the AV receiver itself:

The AV receivers manual also has instructions on updating the receivers formware.

AS to cables. You'd not need anuthing more than an 18Gbps HIGH SPEED HDMI cable for use with this AV receiver. Usong anything more than this such as a 48Gbps ULTRA cable has no advantage what so ever.

Last edited:
The RXV581 cannot be updated to give it the ability to convey 4K 120Hz, but it is 4K 60Hz compliant without any need of a firmware revision.

• HDMI (4 in / 1 out) 4K Ultra HD Full Support with 4K60p (4:4:4), HDCP2.2 (4 in / 1 out), HDR Video and BT.2020 pass-through.

It doesn't support Dolby Vision or HDR10+ though and isn;t eARC enabled. It has ARC compliance and HDR is limited to HDR10.

It would still be advisable that you update the AV receiver's firmware if you've never previously done so. You can access the latest version and read more about the update here:

There's also an update manual that tells you how to either update the AV receiver by downloading the furmware and using a USB stick or using a direct network connection to the AV receiver itself:

The AV receivers manual also has instructions on updating the receivers formware.

AS to cables. You'd not need anuthing more than an 18Gbps HIGH SPEED HDMI cable for use with this AV receiver. Usong anything more than this such as a 48Gbps ULTRA cable has no advantage what so ever.
I know my receiver doesnt do 4k/120/hdr10+/DV.
My issue was as you can read it in my original post that through receiver i am only getting 1080p as native resolution instead of 4k/60 and this is the only thing i want. I bought the high bandwidth cable just to be safe.
Yes i have never updated my RX-V581 since i bought it in 2017. I have upgraded to 4k TV display last November 2021 and i was out of ideas so what I did was plugged two connections to my TV, 1st. (main display) directly from the gpu to tv for full native 4k/60hz hdr10 and 2nd (for the audio) through the receiver to TV with extended display.
But now i have also upgraded my 1080p projector with full 4k/hdr10/DV support. So i am using that 2nd connection (through receiver) with my projector now. I am using forced 3840x2160/60hz resolution right now as i am only getting 1080p native resolution through receiver but i get full 4k when i use the direct connection but that way i loose home-theater sound, but i will update the firmware and see what happens. Hopefully i will get native 4k resolution after that.

Last edited:
There should be no issue with conveying 4K 60Hz video via the RXV681.

I can only suggest that your PJ is not handshaking correctly with the source while passing the video through the AV receiver and that the source is for some reason not acknowledging that the PJ is in fact able to handlethe video you are wanting to convey to it?

If using a PC then it may simply be a case that you've configured it to output a format that isn't ordinarilly regnosised by the AV receiver?

Not sure as to why you'd want to force 4K 60Hz?

Last edited:
There should be no issue with conveying 4K 60Hz video via the RXV681.

I can only suggest that your PJ is not handshaking correctly with the source while passing the video through the AV receiver and that the source is for some reason not acknowledging that the PJ is in fact able to handlethe video you are wanting to convey to it?

If using a PC then it may simply be a case that you've configured it to output a format that isn't ordinarilly regnosised by the AV receiver?

Not sure as to why you'd want to force 4K 60Hz?
Its not just the projector, it also happens with my TV if connected through my rx v581.
PC usually don't need to be configured to setup resolutions. If the output device supports a certain resolution natively and the PC(gpu) is capable outputing that resolution then it automatically detects that resolution as native. In my situation i think the issue lies with my AV Receiver RX-V581 (already set to mode 1) and not with my PC, TV and Projector because when connected directly they are outputing native 4k resolution unlike with when connected through receiver that is why i had to setup forced resolution (3840x2160) from nvidia panel to get get the 4k resolution on my projector which is connected via the receiver.
The real confusing part is that my console is giving 2160p hdr/60 resolution via receiver which something IS happening between my PC and the Receiver. I just can't figure out what.

Last edited:
The issue is with either the cabling or the source. Just because the cables don't exhibit an issue while making diorect connections shouldn't be used as reassurance that the same cable isn't at fault when used with other devices integrated into the setup.

Anyway, try updating the firmware onboard the AV receiver to see if that makes any difference. Also ensure the drivers and software associated with your PCs graphics card are all up to date and that the PJ's firmware is also the most current.

Last edited:
The ussue is with either the cabling or the source. Just because the cables don't exhibit an issue while making diorect connections shouldn't be used as reassurance that the same cable isn't at fault when used with other devices integrated into the setup.

Anyway, try updating the firmware onboard the AV receiver to see if that makes any difference. Also ensure the drivers and software associated with your PCs graphics card are all up to date and that the PJ's firmware is also the most current.
Yeah firmware update is my only hope as i see it. I have already checked the cables with multiple sources(2 consoles, 3 systems, one streaming device) to rule out the cables.
And my TV and PJ are also up to date including my drivers (windows).

First sort out you AVR's firmware. If that doesn't help we can look further, specifically at the PC source (you say your PS4 and PS5 work, so that's the obvious next item to consider).

To save some time if it still doesn't work, please provide exact details on the video board installed in the PC (manufacturer and model number) and on the the board's connectors (DVI or HDMI?) and adapters if used. If you can post to a link to the manufacturer's web site for the graphics card's documentation, that would be nice.

First sort out you AVR's firmware. If that doesn't help we can look further, specifically at the PC source (you say your PS4 and PS5 work, so that's the obvious next item to consider).

To save some time if it still doesn't work, please provide exact details on the video board installed in the PC (manufacturer and model number) and on the the board's connectors (DVI or HDMI?) and adapters if used. If you can post to a link to the manufacturer's web site for the graphics card's documentation, that would be nice.
Yeah firmware update didn't solve the problem and now what i am doing is using a clone display with my TV as a source for native 4k resolution before i was using my projector as a source when my system detects dual display. Also when you create a clone display then windows automatically set the resolution of the lesser native display for both displays as native like before i had a 1080p projector and with cloned displays my 4k TV used to show 1080p as native and wouldn't go up even when TV was the source but with my new projector resolution stays native 4k when TV is the source but when i select tje projector as the source then it still remains at 4k but as forced resolution and shows native at 1080p in resolution selecting settings. So its not the issue with the projector.
Yes my consoles get full 4k hdr through the receiver. And i have gigabyte gtx 1070 g1, and it only has 1 hdmi (connected to receiver) and i am using dp 1.4 to hdmi 2.1 cable for my TV. But i tried using the dp to hdmi cable with the receiver as well and it still remained the same (forced 4k).
And i am not using dsr option to force the resolution it was there in the list below
4096x2160(recommend)
3840x2160 (which i was using)
Other resolution in between
1920x1080(native)
Like that, and with TV as a source the native goes next to 3840x2160 while 4096x2160 as recommended.

Last edited:
If 3840x2160 is working, I'm not sure what your issue is. 4096x2160 is not a TV resolution and is generally not supported on TVs (including TV projectors) and AVRs. Also if you had a 1080 projector attached, even in in standby, then the HDMI standard forces the source to use the lowest common supported resolution of the attached devices. It seems to me that your current state is fine.

DisplayPort 1.4 supports 4K/60Hz, but sometimes needs to be selected in the device driver, otherwise it defaults back to 1080. My laptop gets it right by default, my PC needed forcing. The NVidia web site had an article about how to edit EDIDs to sort it out, but I didn't bother doing it once I'd set the option and everything worked.

If I've misunderstood something, please ask again.

If 3840x2160 is working, I'm not sure what your issue is. 4096x2160 is not a TV resolution and is generally not supported on TVs (including TV projectors) and AVRs. Also if you had a 1080 projector attached, even in in standby, then the HDMI standard forces the source to use the lowest common supported resolution of the attached devices. It seems to me that your current state is fine.

DisplayPort 1.4 supports 4K/60Hz, but sometimes needs to be selected in the device driver, otherwise it defaults back to 1080. My laptop gets it right by default, my PC needed forcing. The NVidia web site had an article about how to edit EDIDs to sort it out, but I didn't bother doing it once I'd set the option and everything worked.

If I've misunderstood something, please ask again.
Sure i am at 3840x2160 but it is not native but forced instead it shows 1920x1080 as native when display through my receiver is the main source of display. If being between forced at 3840x2160 and native 3840x2160 doesnt effect the quality(specially detail and sharpness) of the picture in any way then i am good but if it does differ and forced 3840x2160 has lesser quality then yes i would like to have it set as native 4k.
Yes i know my dp to hdmi only supports upto 4k/60 and its is giving me that through direct connection from pc to my TV. My hdmi 2.1 cable is certified and goes at 8k/60 and is connected to my pc and projector via my receiver and giving me native 1080p (1920x1080) but i also have the option to select 3840x2160 and 4096x2160 but not natively. Like i said if it doesnt effect the quality of the 4k content (between forced 4k and native 4k) then i am ok with it since it is only happening with my PC currently. I dont have any streaming device so i don't for sure if it will have the problem or not. I'll be getting firestick 4k max soon then i will know better regarding that as well.
So yeah if being at forced or non native 4k(3840x2160) doesnt effect the picture in anyway compared to native 4k then i am good.

Sure i am at 3840x2160 but it is not native but forced instead it shows 1920x1080 as native when display through my receiver is the main source of display. If being between forced at 3840x2160 and native 3840x2160 doesnt effect the quality(specially detail and sharpness) of the picture in any way then i am good but if it does differ and forced 3840x2160 has lesser quality then yes i would like to have it set as native 4k.
Yes i know my dp to hdmi only supports upto 4k/60 and its is giving me that through direct connection from pc to my TV. My hdmi 2.1 cable is certified and goes at 8k/60 and is connected to my pc and projector via my receiver and giving me native 1080p (1920x1080) but i also have the option to select 3840x2160 and 4096x2160 but not natively. Like i said if it doesnt effect the quality of the 4k content (between forced 4k and native 4k) then i am ok with it since it is only happening with my PC currently. I dont have any streaming device so i don't for sure if it will have the problem or not. I'll be getting firestick 4k max soon then i will know better regarding that as well.
So yeah if being at forced or non native 4k(3840x2160) doesnt effect the picture in anyway compared to native 4k then i am good.
What do you mean by "forced at 3840x2160"? What is being forced in which device?

If you mean selecting this resolution in the source device (your PC's video driver), then you get is what you select and is what you want. If you mean selecting this in the AVR for the HDMI Out whilst the source is set to 1920x1080, then yes you're scaling a 1080 output.

I'm still working in the dark here concerning the PC source. What video board does your PC have - manufacturer and precise model please?. Also what DisplayPort - HDMI adapter are you using (it may be built into the cable, as with my PC, but not my laptop, if so identify that).

I will post the pictures of my resolutions window when i get home and get free.
My point is, is there a difference (in picture quality in any way) between 3840x2160 native and 3840x2160 non-native. By forced resolution i mean is when its not showing up in the list as native among resolution options.
I have a dedicated GPU, gigabyte gtx 1070 g1 gaming

The point is I don't know that my receiver after getting 4k input is providing 1080p output which then my projector scaling it to 4k or not because i am sure my pc is giving 4k signal to my receiver. The issue (if any) lies in the output part.
All i know is that when connected directly through my PC my display shows native next to 3840x2160 resolution in the resolution window but when connected through my receiver it still show 3840x2160 is the resolution list window and i can select it but "native" is next to 1920x1080. And i dont know if it changes anything when it comes to picture quality.

The resolution you are outputting via the pC isn't one that is commonly used or regognised so the AV receiver isn't likely to facilitate its conveyance. The source therefore reads the EDID onboard the AV receiver and outputs at a resolution that can be conveyed and that is in accordance with that AV receiver's capabilities.

I will post the pictures of my resolutions window when i get home and get free.
My point is, is there a difference (in picture quality in any way) between 3840x2160 native and 3840x2160 non-native. By forced resolution i mean is when its not showing up in the list as native among resolution options.
I have a dedicated GPU, gigabyte gtx 1070 g1 gaming

The point is I don't know that my receiver after getting 4k input is providing 1080p output which then my projector scaling it to 4k or not because i am sure my pc is giving 4k signal to my receiver. The issue (if any) lies in the output part.
All i know is that when connected directly through my PC my display shows native next to 3840x2160 resolution in the resolution window but when connected through my receiver it still show 3840x2160 is the resolution list window and i can select it but "native" is next to 1920x1080. And i dont know if it changes anything when it comes to picture quality.
did u ever fix this? got same issue.

did u ever fix this? got same issue.
AFAIK, we never actually found out what "the issue" was, so if you have the "same issue", perhaps you could explain it?

AFAIK, we never actually found out what "the issue" was, so if you have the "same issue", perhaps you could explain it?
Can't solve it. Tried troubleshooting. It just wont accept a 4K resolution from windows 10.

I've tried 4:2:2, tried 30hz. Just doesn't wan tto play ball. I think you can force it by going to resolution and changing auto to 4K but its honestly so irritating.

I just decided to put another display port cable to HDMI cable and pass audio through that. I'll probably buy a small externa display and attach it to the AVR so I can see if anything ever pops up on that monitor. Not ideal but it was very infuriating.

I'll likely have another go trying to fix it in the next few weeks and will update.

I'm quite keen to try and fix it as I much prefer the Yamaha sound to my Denon downstairs. otherwise might need to swap them out.

Yamaha doesn't seem to have a video 'pass through and leave it alone' mode.. seems to always want to get little involved.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom