• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

I am not ashamed to say

u8myufo

Established Member
But I am sat here watching an HD programme on my dad`s (god bless his soul) Sony KDL40W4000, and the picture is still great, deep blacks and excellent rendition of skin tone and the like. Not sure I even want to get rid of it when the new one arrives, it ould make for a back up if nothing else. Anybody else have an older model TV that they still use?

Boostrail

Distinguished Member
Yes I am still using a Panasonic 2008 39" TV one of the first full HD screens available alongside the Sony W2000 . In its day it was otherwise the antipathy of the Sony spec. Having an IPS panel rather than a VA in the Sony. The IPS panel was manufactured at that time by Panasonic themselves and claimed higher contrast values and better blacks than the run of the mill IPS panels that were then made by LG/Philips Displays. I have never had an issue with blacks, contrast, and brightness on this TV. It did have issues with upscaling Freeview SD which were solved by using an external source, A close friend bought the W2000 and we made some comparisons. The inbuilt Freeview tuner on the Sony was actually marginally worse at upscaling freeview. However the colour gamut on the Sony debateably appeared to be better but we could not distinguish between contrast and black levels which on mine were to me what they should be and appeared the same on my friends TV. Th only other perceptible difference at that time was viewing angles which as today was far better on the IPS panel Panasonic.

Back then we were looking for differences and as I am now looking to get a bigger TV I am surprised to see that the issues concerning early full HD Tv's are now resurrecting themselves in the context of today's UHD Tv's

mike7

Distinguished Member
But I am sat here watching an HD programme on my dad`s (god bless his soul) Sony KDL40W4000, and the picture is still great, deep blacks and excellent rendition of skin tone and the like. Not sure I even want to get rid of it when the new one arrives, it ould make for a back up if nothing else. Anybody else have an older model TV that they still use?
I had one of these for a long time. I handed it on while still working well. The build quality of some of these old Sony models seems much better than what appears today. I actually owned one of the original 14" Sony trinitron colour sets that was still working perfectly 10 years down the line. There is one 12" model locally that still works. It pops up as a 'prop' in TV dramas and documentaries.

Last edited:

My parents have a VERY old model "Bang & Olufsen" TV, and honestly the sound is superb but the picture isn't as great as you've described.

They still love it though, even if its literally impossible to watch any program/movie etc with darker scenes during daytime ..

anantind

Established Member
I am still using a 10 years old Sony 52" W5500. It's surprisingly potent even today. Blacks look subjectively good with moderate ambient lighting (though it does suffer from black crush), the panel uniformity is superb, and colors look natural in theater mode. It is by no means pretty, though. Thick and heavy and huge bezels by today's standards, of course. I am currently looking for a replacement, primarily because I want a larger screen, and the screen brightness is not great.

tvdavid

Prominent Member
the tvs in my sig are what I use but thinking about getting the 55 inch LG CX or the Sony xh900 or XH95 the 42 inch LG gives a decent picture on dark things to even and has better speakers than my Philips 47 inch TV.
the 55 inch Sony is not so sharp a picture. oh the Sony would be a 65 inch TV but maybe not the XH95 because its still a lot. see what happens black friday as will have £1800 by then in my bank.

zircon3035

Established Member
I'm still using my TH-65PF10 from 2008 in the living room. As well as having a great picture, it adds some nice supplementary heat to the room. I was going to replace it with an LCD to reduce the leccy bill but gave up due to the lock down and me being unable to lift it off the wall!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom