• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

i am not an installer, but need help

evilution1x

Standard Member
hi all
i am building my own house at the moment (well, 2 years in at moment). i am just about to first fix the wiring and was looking for some automation futureproofing. Please can you help??? I was going to do the following to each room back to centre point of the house.....

4 x cat7a (TV point)
4 x cat7a (for any inputs, livingroom only)
3 x ct100 or 75 (tv point)
2 x cat7a (touch screen wall point)
2 x cat7a (thermostat control)
2 x cat7a (light switch)
2 x cat7a (PC neworking point)
2 x cat7a (i pod dock, hallway only)
+ all stranded speaker cable for the number of speakers in each room
+ 1 x cat7a linking touchscreen to sub controller (despite having its own cat7a down to central area.
+ i may drop in another cat7a behind any socket that may have a lamp etc. plugged into it.......

What are your thoughts please, any advise will be greatly recieved.
regards
David
:lease:

dj-dulux

Cat7 is only really used by Bang & Olufsen, and I believe this is mainly so they can maintain backward compatibility with older analogue systems. Cat 5 or 6 is far more installer friendly. Whilst you may save on the cable the connectors are more expensive as hardly anyone makes them.

From a design point-of-view you have more than enough cables, this helps use more DIY type products rather than pro kit. 2 Cats and 2 WF100 per TV is enough, but many on here use 3...

Dupe...

vex

Cat7 is a big cost for not much benifit, especially with what you have planned.

I would recommend Cat6 at best.

Would also question the data wiring to behind power sockets.

Hth.

V.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom