1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I am not able to delete this file... Please Help.

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Iain Shields, Apr 19, 2004.

1. Iain Shields

Iain Shields

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I downloaded a large movie file from a P2P program but I am unable to delete it...

I get a message saying that another person or program is using the file and I need to close this program before I can delete the file, I brought up task manager and watched to see what program was using it when I try to delete it (perhaps I should explain here that when I try to delete it, or even just open the folder that the file is in, it slows the computer down to almost a halt)

When I try to delete the file (while watching task manager) explorer.exe suddenly takes up 99% of the cpu processing...

My virus protection program says there's nothing wrong with the file and I've run spybot and ad-aware with no help from them.

Can anyone please help me get rid of it???

Regards,
    Iain.

2. rajiveaggarwal

rajiveaggarwal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    The P2P may be locking the file - try shutting the application down. If that fails, reboot the PC to clear the locking application. If that fails(!), reboot to safe mode (Win2K/XP) or to DOS mode (98/ME) and delete from there.

3. Iain Shields

Iain Shields

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks for the reply mate,

I've tried all those ideas but none of them worked...

When I rebooted to safe mode my documents folder wasn't there so I wasn't able to do anything, or did I do something wrong :confused:

It won't let me get up the properties of the file to see what it is, it won't even let me move it because another program is using it... I'm at a loss (which isn't surprising since my knowledge of computers is quite limited)

Any ideas are welcome!!!

Regards,
    Iain.

4. rajiveaggarwal

rajiveaggarwal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Bizarre - sounds like your PC has caught the flu' or other nasty bug, probably worth getting hold of some virus checkers... Sounds like it is not the media file that is the problem, but some unauthorised programs running on your PC.

I'm not aware of any "normal" application that would prevent viewing the properties of a file, even if the file is locked.

In safe mode, the <My Documents> folder should still be visible in explorer, however the full path to it will be "c:\Documents and Settings\%username%\My Documents\" (just cut-and-paste this string into explorer, the %username% is a Windows recognised parameter.

I dislike p2p applications, esp K*****. Too many internet-capable applications installed and I'm sure they are an excellent way of inviting trouble to a PC or LAN - big security hole!

5. neilo

neilo
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
  6. Iain Shields

Iain Shields

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    neilo:- That was the solution :smashin:

Thanks to everyone for your replies, I really appreciate you taking the time to try and help... Have a :beer: on me.

Regards,
    Iain.

7. shoehorn

shoehorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Iain, I've got the same problem... so I've read Neilo's link and I'm "worried" about editing the registry....
    Did you delete the line that was suggested, or did you put "zzzz" in front of it...?
    Thanks.

8. Oakmere

Oakmere

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    If in doubt click on "Registry" in the toolbar and "Export Registy File" this will save a file with the state of your registry which you should be able to revert back to. That is unless you really screw something up!

9. Iain Shields

Iain Shields

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi shoehorn,

Sorry for the late reply, I'm away from home at the moment...

I added the zzzz infront of the key, restarted the pc, deleted the file, emptied the recycle bin, restarted the pc, took away the zzzz and restarted one last time and everything was fine :smashin:

One point, when you bring up regedit a window comes up with two boxes, the left box is where you look for the InProcServer32 key and the right box tells you whats inside it.... you nedd to add the zzzz to the InProcServer32 file in the left box and not to any of the information in the right box (like I tried to do :blush: and wondered why it wouldn't work)

Hope this helps you...

Regards,
    Iain.