Question I am new here - Help Please

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Nick Eccles, Apr 1, 2016.

1. Nick Eccles

Nick Eccles
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All! :)

Hi I am Nick from west sussex

Due to life changing events (Serious brain stem stroke) in 2013, I now find myself in a nice new home, wife left me after I became unwell but I was lucky to have a friend who has stuck by me & made my life liveable again :)

Anyway on to what's confusing me:

I have always had Tv sound through a hifi amp since the early 80's & was addicted to stereo everything (Still am!)

I have bought an Onkyo TX-SR507 AV Amplifier to partner my LG HR920 BluRay HDD Recorder (Awesome machine) & a Humax Dual Input Freesat Receiver!

Now, I know how to do pretty much anything with audio & video on my PC & prepared a 5.1 channel standard DVD of Top Gun to test things out - BUT I have no idea how to configure the BD players audio output.........everything works but there's a vast array of settings across all the hardware!
    I have set up the speaker config (I don't have a centre speaker, never really thought they make much difference) I do have 2 large floorstanders for front stereo & 2 lovely little Jamo surround speakers up on the wall!

I setup the speakers using the onkyo built in processer & that went smoothly, the LG & Humax are communicating fine, it's really the digital options on the LG that are confusing me :( This is my 1'st proper surround system, only ever bothered with stereo up till now!!

When watching Top Gun the audio is extraordinary - massive amounts of tight bass (no colouring or booming) just awesome bass - the stereo soundstage is very upfront & vivid, I am just struggling to 'hear' any surround effects :( The surrounds calibrated perfectly so maybe it's my DVD that's no good??

What I would like is to setup the hardware so that audio stream selection is auto set, The Humax Freesat has only Stereo or Multichannel options which makes life easier!!

So I think it's the LG BD machine that needs the right digital output selecting - I will also say the Onkyo amp has so many advanced options & since the brain damage I struggle to u/stand what I am dealing with :facepalm: I would of u/stood & read up on it all before buying..........

These are my options on the LG Bluray HDD - Bear in mind I use the Freeview HD dual tuner a lot - Both Humax & LG have upgraded 2TB HDD's in em!! & I play my music library which is duplicated on the LG's HDD a lot!

Hope someone can help? I have prob made it more complex that it is :rotfl: LG Screenshot.jpg

I should point out that my LG 55" Tv is used as a monitor only - I don't use any of the smart features as I am a simple mainly 'Stereo' guy

Last edited: Apr 1, 2016
  2. Littlemike

Littlemike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I would think you need to select 'Primary Pass Through' to get the discs true encoded sound format to your amp. You'll then need the amp to be in the correct mode too, but I'm not sure what that would be with an Onkyo.

What options are under the 'Digital Output'? You want to select Bitstream there if it's an option rather than PCM.

3. Nick Eccles

Nick Eccles
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Digital output is for a optical or spdif it seems think there are only 2 options will check & report back!
    Am using HDMI with no analogue or optical cables at all - will try primary pass through but am sure I then lost dolby digital or DTS indicator on the onkyo when viewing Freeview HD!

4. Nick Eccles

Nick Eccles
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok I have re-run the auto calibration using the Onkyo's setup mic & it went perfectly, detected my speaker setup correctly & the test tone emitted loud & clear from each speaker as shown on the display!
    Thing is, I am still struggling to 'hear' anything at all from the the 2 surround speakers...............
    As stated earlier, I have little or no knowledge of DTS or dolby digital - my only foray into surround was dolby surround over 20 years ago which is a different analogue method of course - I do not know what I am doing wrong, the amp determines correctly the difference between Dolby 2.0 & 5.1 automatically but the rear speakers seem very lazy or don't come alive at all :( I should point out that The front soundstage is brilliant with placement, bass & stereo effects just where they should be...........

Remaining very puzzled o_O

5. Longy00000

Longy00000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +476
    Firstly surrounds are not like your front 3. They give a more spacial feel to the sound so will not as active as the front.
    That said you can test by sticking some music through multi stereo format (I am assuming your onk has this ad I am not familiar with it ) this will allow you to see / hear that the speakers are properly active.
    Next if your preferences are for more greater activity from the surrounds you should be able to go into the amps menu and increase the levels of your surround speakers by +1 or 2 db and see how that sounds.
    Fairly easy to resolve so you get the desired results

6. Nick Eccles

Nick Eccles
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok will test the multi stereo or all speaker modes, however I think things may be ok now as I watched the DVD9 edition of Terminator 2 with 5.1 audio today & the ambience was very much evident, not in so much as just the rear speakers being heard but turned off to mono or plain stereo resulted in no ambient sound at all :)