• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

I Am Mother (2019) Directed by Grant Sputore

systemsdead

Distinguished Member
A teenage girl is raised underground by a robot “Mother”, designed to repopulate the earth following an extinction event. But their unique bond is threatened when an inexplicable stranger arrives with alarming news.

Starring Hilary Swank and already picking up some decent feedback from this year's Sundance festival.

i-am-mother-sundance.jpg

Drax1

Distinguished Member
A teenage girl is raised underground by a robot “Mother”, designed to repopulate the earth following an extinction event. But their unique bond is threatened when an inexplicable stranger arrives with alarming news.

Starring Hilary Swank and already picking up some decent feedback from this year's Sundance festival.

View attachment 1112770
I've just seen mentioned as part of this summer's blockbusters on a random list. Positive word from Sundance, plus both Hilary Swank, and with Rose Byrne (voicing 'Mother') mean it makes it a must see when it lands on Netflix this summer. Could be one of their better efforts. :smashin:

Drax1

Distinguished Member

Having just watched it, I can confirm that 'I Am Mother' is definitely well worth your time, and more than a cut above a lot of Netflix's usual output. It's certainly a slow burner, and has a VERY minimal cast list, but very well acted nonetheless. Lead Clara Rugaard really delivers, reminding me of a young Natalie Portman. She gets plenty of meaty stuff here, and there's some great character development as the screenplay twists and turns.
The set design is pretty impressive, and there's some very neat visuals, particularly in the second half. The synth heavy score works well with the tone, and I'd recommend cranking up that home cinema kit, as the sound design is very good - all clunking airlock doors and pipes hissing. It keeps the attention when dialogue is at a minimum.
Sure it borrows a lot from a million and one other sci-fi movies (Moon, Ex-Machina, Oblivion, Alien and the confined setting of 10 Cloverfield Lane spring to mind), but if you're a fan of the genre, it's still got plenty to say, and an interesting message.
I won't comment further on the film for fear of spoiling things, but as usual (and particularly in this case), you should avoid the teaser if you haven't already seen it, and just dig into the film.

I going to give this 7.5/10. I wouldn't watch it again anytime soon, but then that's just down to it being a slow burner, and having already unearthed it secrets.

Last edited:

raigraphixs

Distinguished Member
7.7/10 from me

Loved watching it, gripped by the setup, the young girl was great, just need an extra dimension.

Really liked Rose Byrne's performance

Last edited:

Drax1

Distinguished Member

Re the ending, I clearly wasn't paying full attention when
the droid tracks Hilary Swank to the container and asks if she remembers her mother, which leans towards her being now grown up, having originally escaped herself.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom