I am looking for two things in a DVD recorder.

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by plasticman, Aug 13, 2004.

1. plasticman

plasticman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am somewhat disappointed that I can't find a DVD recorder that does what I want. Maybe I just don't know about it.

I consider it a must to have:
    1. Ability to recorder Dolby Digital 5.1. I have seen many machines that record Dolby ProLogic.
    2. Ability to edit out commercials precisely. In other words remove the commercials to the exact frame.

I have a Dish Network DVR, so I really don't need or want a hard disk on my DVD recorder. I just want to be able to transfer my recordings off of the DVR to the DVD recorder, with all of the video and audio resolution and be able to remove commercials.

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,578
    To all intensive purposes you can do this on models that use DVD-RAM or DVD-RW. That exact nature of the editting varies slightly between the decks but you can effectively achieve frame accurate editting on most.

All DVD recorders record in AC3 (Dolby Digital) - they just record in 2 channel DD. There are currently no UK models that support 5.1 input and are not likely to be for the time being. A method of recording 5.1 is to use your PC where you can get 5.1 inputs: for advice on that I suggest asking for advice on the Home Cinema PCs forum.

3. Sick Note

Sick Note

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Well guys I found this little beauty on the philips site DVDR740
    Go here
    select a bandwidth for the site
    go to Product browser
    then DVD recorders
    then scroll to the last machine to the right (DVDR740)
    This baby records in 5.1 DD :clap:

4. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,578
    AFAIK though the UK is not getting this model yet - certainly back in March the official line from all the big companies was that 5.1 wasn't need in the UK because of the limited sources (only Sky+). There are several US machines that will take a 5.1 input - but that isn't much good to the UK consumer.

It's possible the DVDR77 could launch with it I suppose - although all the gubbins I've seen about indicates a DD 2.0 system only.

Further evidence is that 5.1 input was removed from the UK Philips HDRW720...

5. Sick Note

Sick Note

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Have heard the DVDR740 will be coming here to Germany though :thumbsup:
    Importing one to the UK should be no problem

6. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,578
    Have you? I'd heard the Philips DVD Recorder European lineup for this year/early next is:
    DVDR70
    DVDR75
    DVDR77
    HDRW720
    LX9000R
    ...that came from the industry circular in late May/June time so might be slightly out-of-date I suppose.

As you say, if you can get one in Germany, importing and using in the UK shouldn't be too much of a problem.

7. Sick Note

Sick Note

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    I was told they were going to assess the posibility of bringing it late this year or early next year.
    I suppose they are considering Germany more than the UK because of the reason you mentioned ie. only $ky+ offers DD in the UK whereas here there is a bigger choice via FTA recievers.

Heres hoping

If I hear anymore on the subject I will post

8. plasticman

plasticman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    From the conversation, it appears that there might be several machines out there that are available in the US that record in 5.1 DD. Would someone list them.

9. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,578
    Plasticman, I didn't realise you were from the US. The majority of members on this board are from the UK where our equipment differs quite substantially from the kit available in the US. May I suggest you repost on www.avsforums.com - I am not trying to fob you off but there are 'issues' you need to consider that neither I, nor (I would assume) other members of these boards can accurately assist you with.

There will be - but AFAIK none of them are actually on the market yet.