Question I am looking for a new smart tv. Budget 550£

riioKen

Standard Member
As the title suggests, I would need a new 4k TV. I also looked at the guide here on the forum and found interesting models.
I am currently considering these TVs:
Philips 50PUS7855 480£
Philips 43PUS8505 560£
Hisense 50A7500F 400£
TCL 50P816 450£
Samsung 50TU8500 550£ (im considering this one for WCG, but if you tell me it makes no difference, then I will consider the 7100).

Generally I will use the TV in the evening, so in a dark room. I will use Netflix and PrimeVideo as sources, sometimes Blu ray.
In your opinion which is the TV with the best quality among those listed? Is there anyone else worth considering?
Thanks in advance

EDIT
Last thing, what is generally the best period to buy (if exist)? Except Xmas and Prime day/Black friday.

Last edited:

Dodgexander

Welcome to the forum!

All the TVs you are looking at are low tier models, so I'd advise going for the model that is cheapest, from the store with the best return policy.

Other slight factors may also sway you from one brand to another. For example Samsung have good smart TV, whilst Philips the best motion.

Make sure you understand that at different sizes, TVs come with different types of panels. So a 43" Philips 8 series, is not necessarily going to use the same panel type as a 50" 7 series. Steps to choose a panel type are outlined in the opening post of my guide here:

In the guide, TVs are separated based on panel type. So be sure you know which panel type you want from a TV before you look at specific models.

As for a wide colour gamut, its only useful when you use HDR on the TV, and since these are all low-tier models HDR really is something you'll want to avoid using on the TV. There's only one model in the low tier that has a bright enough presentation to be considered for HDR use and that is the Hisense U7Q, and even with that TV, its local dimming is very basic, and despite being twice as bright as other similarly priced TVs it still falls short of the recommended 1000 nits.

TL: DR - You aren't going to be getting much with any of these TVs, they are all low-end models. If you are shopping with UHD in mind and not HDR, you may be fine. If you are shopping expecting the TV to polish everything, play back everything including HDR without problems, you may just be better sticking with what you have now and saving up longer for at least a mid tier or high tier model in the guide.

The best time to buy is covered here:

riioKen

Standard Member
Welcome to the forum!

All the TVs you are looking at are low tier models, so I'd advise going for the model that is cheapest, from the store with the best return policy.

Other slight factors may also sway you from one brand to another. For example Samsung have good smart TV, whilst Philips the best motion.

Make sure you understand that at different sizes, TVs come with different types of panels. So a 43" Philips 8 series, is not necessarily going to use the same panel type as a 50" 7 series. Steps to choose a panel type are outlined in the opening post of my guide here:

In the guide, TVs are separated based on panel type. So be sure you know which panel type you want from a TV before you look at specific models.

As for a wide colour gamut, its only useful when you use HDR on the TV, and since these are all low-tier models HDR really is something you'll want to avoid using on the TV. There's only one model in the low tier that has a bright enough presentation to be considered for HDR use and that is the Hisense U7Q, and even with that TV, its local dimming is very basic, and despite being twice as bright as other similarly priced TVs it still falls short of the recommended 1000 nits.

TL: DR - You aren't going to be getting much with any of these TVs, they are all low-end models. If you are shopping with UHD in mind and not HDR, you may be fine. If you are shopping expecting the TV to polish everything, play back everything including HDR without problems, you may just be better sticking with what you have now and saving up longer for at least a mid tier or high tier model in the guide.

The best time to buy is covered here:
I have read both your guide and many threads here on the forum and in the end I chose the Hisense 55U7QF bought on amazon for 482£ (550€), it arrives tomorrow. I noticed that amazon also put the Samsung 55Q74T at around £ 500. In your opinion, is hisense a better buy anyway, even with the motion processing "problems"?

Loopthrough

I have read both your guide and many threads here on the forum and in the end I chose the Hisense 55U7QF bought on amazon for 482£ (550€), it arrives tomorrow. I noticed that amazon also put the Samsung 55Q74T at around £ 500. In your opinion, is hisense a better buy anyway, even with the motion processing "problems"?
Don't get caught up on the little details and enjoy your purchase instead. All the big name brands have acceptable motion (Hisense is a big name brand and you got a good deal). I'm sure you'll be happy.

Amazon is a good place to buy but I always recommend checking Richer Sounds for big electronics purchases as the service is personal and second to none -- and you get a 6 year guarantee!

riioKen

Standard Member
Don't get caught up on the little details and enjoy your purchase instead. All the big name brands have acceptable motion (Hisense is a big name brand and you got a good deal). I'm sure you'll be happy.

Amazon is a good place to buy but I always recommend checking Richer Sounds for big electronics purchases as the service is personal and second to none -- and you get a 6 year guarantee!
I live in Italy, there are no shops here like richer sound, curry or similar. Some big shop that we have here are Euronics or Mediaworld but they give only 2 years of warranty and have a very bad return policies. Amazon was a forced choice, it is the least worst.
Can't wait to try it out. I will let you know if I will be satisfied

Dodgexander

The 55Q70T is a slightly better deal than the 50" U7Q at that price, but it still falls short of being a capable HDR TV. Really you want to aim for the Hisense U8Q as a minimum, or Samsung Q80T. If you are open to search for future discounts you could cancel your order and wait for a deal on higher tier models instead.

Also beware that nowadays 55" is really where good value for money is, that's why you often find a lot better deals on 55" models than 49" or 50". You may even find 55" models cheaper sometimes. So for a real comparison compare the price of the same size TVs.

Loopthrough

I live in Italy, there are no shops here like richer sound, curry or similar. Some big shop that we have here are Euronics or Mediaworld but they give only 2 years of warranty and have a very bad return policies. Amazon was a forced choice, it is the least worst.
Can't wait to try it out. I will let you know if I will be satisfied
I see. Beautiful country and culture. I’m sure/hope you’ll be happy with your Hisense.

riioKen

Standard Member
I see. Beautiful country and culture. I’m sure/hope you’ll be happy with your Hisense.
Thank you, yes, I'm proud of our history, but much less of our present.

The TV arrived, I immediately tested and calibrated it, I am really impressed with the picture quality. But I found a problem.
At 6s and 27s, the content Is 4k dolby vision.
This error occurs to me only on Netflix, I have tried all day prime videos and YouTube both in 4k HDR and have not seen any artifacts.

I think it's a Dolby Vision problem because the Dolby Vision logo sometimes appeared in the top right, as if the TV restarted dolby vision.

I repeat, this happens only on Netflix. What do you think? On the official u7qf thread, I was advised to purchase a 4k firestick

Dodgexander

I saw the black flash at the end, but had to slow the video down to 0.25 to see it, I'm sure its more obvious in person. I'm not sure what you mean by parole effect. I think its a bad translation.

Try turning on the motion smoothing whilst playing back Netflix and then turning it off again.

If that doesn't help, try a factory reset of the TV, and see if it also does it with an external source.

What playback material does it do it with? HDR or SDR or both?

riioKen

Standard Member
I saw the black flash at the end, but had to slow the video down to 0.25 to see it, I'm sure its more obvious in person. I'm not sure what you mean by parole effect. I think its a bad translation.

Try turning on the motion smoothing whilst playing back Netflix and then turning it off again.

If that doesn't help, try a factory reset of the TV, and see if it also does it with an external source.

What playback material does it do it with? HDR or SDR or both?
This happens only on Netflix with dolby Vision, with external source or other streaming service, it doesn't happen. Yesterday I watched 2 episodes in Dolby Vision and it gave this problem. Also on Netflix I put a movie in hd and the tv worked well. I think its a bug with dolby vision.

Parole = purple. My keyboard is set to Italian so it corrected me automatically.

EDIT: Turning on then turning off ultra smooth motion while playback Netflix, fixed the problem. I heard that the option "fast Power on" have ultra smooth motion on by default as bug. So i disabled it.

Last edited:

Dodgexander

EDIT: Turning on then turning off ultra smooth motion while playback Netflix, fixed the problem. I heard that the option "fast Power on" have ultra smooth motion on by default as bug. So i disabled it.
I only thought of this because a previous user noticed that despite motion settings turned off, that the TV was still using them. He had to toggle them on while playing, and then off again.

Good to see you found the solution, and that fast power on being disabled keeps it disabled.

riioKen

Standard Member
I only thought of this because a previous user noticed that despite motion settings turned off, that the TV was still using them. He had to toggle them on while playing, and then off again.

Good to see you found the solution, and that fast power on being disabled keeps it disabled.
thanks for your help both in choosing the TV (your 4k guide) and in solving the problem

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Samsung HW-Q800A Soundbar & Rotel Michi X3 Reviews + TV show and Movie News & Reviews
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom