1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I am incandecent with rage!

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by DonMaico, Aug 7, 2004.

1. DonMaico

DonMaico

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :mad: :mad:
    Sent my toshiba sv 520e player to have a multichip inserted to a well known firm with a "Tech"nichal sounding name and was told it would be done within 7 to 10 days- 18 days later and I am still waiting. Rang them up three times and I got fobbed off with a " the guy who does the multichipping is very busy, ring up in two days". Now as far as I can see this kind of job should only take about an hour at most, so realistically I should've expected it returned within 2 or 3 days, yeah? This firm clearly provides attrocious service. Has anyone else had similar experiences? should I write an angry letter to someone? They are also charging me £ 92 ! :mad: :mad:

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Why not do a search in this forum on the company's name to see what other people's experiences were like - then ask yourself why you didn't do that before you sent the unit off.

3. DonMaico

DonMaico

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ian I didnt want to mention the name of the company for fear of libelling them- all I have as as proof is a reference number. I must admit I acted on impulse and never thought I might receive bad service, but I 'll try what yoiu suggested.

4. DonMaico

DonMaico

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I ,ve done a search and its pretty much a mixed bag really( might as well mentionbt he name of the firm as so many others have - its techtronics). soime peoplla swear by them , but , I think ,on balance most wouldnt touch them again with a barge pole. It seems their customer care is bad indeed. From my experience whilst I found the guy who dealt with me ok in his manner, he told me that the bloke who does the mods( Lee!) is very slow and suggested I chased him on Monday. Frankly it seems to me that the Head Honcho himself should be chased whoever he may be.

5. DonMaico

DonMaico

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    another thing - Trading standards are well familiar with them. Their Head Honcho -one Karl King -aparently does not respond to complaints nor does the after sales manager Ms Clow.

6. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Whilst most swear at them :D

There have probably been more complaints about the after sales service from that company on this forum than any other retailer.

7. DonMaico

DonMaico

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :thumbsdow Well I guess one lives and learns! You'd think that with all the negative publicity and the postings on thois bpoard they would do something to change things. not grin!

8. drphibes

drphibes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33

A quick look on the newsgrousp via google etc will show that they have the potential to be a absolute nightmare to deal with.
    I seem to remember them actually issuing legal threats to someone who publically questioned the abysmal service that they had given him.

I guess the golden rule is allways try and find the opinions of others on any retailer that you are thinking of buying from.

One option would be the get them to send you dvd player back and get someone else to sort it but this might end up taking forever?.

Good luck

Drphibes

9. SPURS1882

SPURS1882

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Those thieves have gone.

Just like my money.

Forget your DVD player.

Once they start up avaddick.com,(rumours) trust me, i will be straight up there.
    Forget emails and phoning them.
    I will do the 4 hours drive to get my money back.

10. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,975
    ...and you won't get it. Because a new company is a new company, not liable for the debts of the old. Even if the proprietors are the same. If you paid by Credit Card contact your card issuer; they are liable. If not, contact the administrators, who willplace you on the list of creditors. You still won't get anything back, though, in all probability.

Repeating my salutory lesson for anyone parting with money to anyone they don't trust 110% - use a credit card.

11. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    if you paid under £100 the credit card company are not liable for anything.
    £92 is gone forever and probs your dvd player with it.

12. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I'm sure you will get the DVD player back - contact your local police and ask advise.

If this new company appears hassle them becasue they will know where it is

13. red16v

red16v

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I'm sorry to sound naive about this but I am a 'newby' to dvd etc. The 'multichip' you're having fitted - is it to make it a multiregional player ? I thought this model was a multi regional player (as shown on the Toshiba website) ? advice welcome, regards, yt.

14. Miniholic

Miniholic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +398
    Officially all UK DVD players must be region 2 only. However, most dealers are able to provide players that are modified to multiregion (MR) playback.

The way this is done differs from one player to another, sopme such as the budget chinese machine are sometimes MR straight from the box, while others only require a simple handset hack (a code is entered via the remote). Then you get to the more difficult ones, which either need the firmware (the software that runs the player) overwriting, or physical chipping.

Some players are advertised as universal, which refers to the type of discs they will play (the usual DVD & CD plus SACD & DVD-A) rather than the actual region.

Hope this helps (and makes sense).