1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I am gutted!!

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by pixel, Apr 23, 2003.

1. pixel

pixel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just brought a Toshiba 36ZP18Q 36” widescreen picture frame TV last month and now I see THIS month they have brought out the Toshiba 36ZP38P with picture frame version 2 which has Progressive Scan and all sorts of other better picture features. I can’t believe it and it’s the same price I paid for my older version. Has anyone seen the new version has it got a better picture?

2. jim.rae

jim.rae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't worry about it...

All these picture enhancement facilities should be switched off anyway as they are a menace for producing soft, blurry pictures from a good source.

Use a good RGB lead from a digibox, switch of the picture enhancement modes and enjoy!

You know it makes sense.

3. FCP FAN

FCP FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    jim.rae hits the mark.:smashin:

First, normally all the better picture features, are UTTER CRAP!! (tm) and make the picture unwatchable (the peak of this must be Pixel Plus) and should be avoided like the plague!:eek:

Second:progressive Scan is very good and it improves the picture even on a 36" set. But... Do you own a Progressive Scan DVD?
    And if you do, if you check the forums, the implementation of progressive has its problems on every set .
    By the way: Yours 36ZP18Q is way better looking than the new 36ZP38P!!
    Cheers :p !! Enjoy your movies!!

4. evans

evans

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    progressive scan is top for dvd playback im really impressed with it using the jvc tv I just bought but even pro scan on this tv is not perfect strangely enough not on dark scenes but on a sky background on some movies there is a lot of graininess but this could be due to the dvd.

One thing I cannot understand is that on my old 14 inch tv using interlaced signal the ntsc dvd's were always much clearer. Now on this tv it seems the pal region 2 disks are better!!

5. zantarous

zantarous

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    I posted this in another thread and I will posted it again. I phoned Tosh two weeks before I bought the 36ZD26 and asked if any of there range of TV's had two RGB configured sockets.

After being bounced from one dept to another someone finaly gave me the answer that none of their TV's had this. Two weeks later I see this what does it have? 2 RGB sockets.

I have to agree I turned all the digital enhancments on and turned them of very quickly, it dosen't do much good. I can not understand why mags rave about all the digital tricery that TV can do, the pic always looks better with it turned off.

6. jim.rae

jim.rae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have read hundreds of magazine reviews over the years and some of the writers do seem to come from another planet.

It doesn't matter if it's TVs, HiFis, Cars or plum puddings, I disagree with most of them.

My ultimate nightmare is Jeremy Clarkson reviewing AV gear...

7. zantarous

zantarous

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    The thing that gets me is how they always complain that there is only one RGB configured scart socket for this set when there are actually two. I am geussing that they do not always test the products?