I am going nuts with resolutions setup

pablofu

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi guys
I own an Onkyo 3010 receiver outputting 2 displays, Panasonic P55VT50 plasma and Sony VPL-HW50ES projector. Because of using the Onkyo's 2 HDMI outs, the resolution is automatically set to Auto (that means it converts video at resolutions supported by my TV and PJ, so I guess 1080p).

I have connected the following devices to the Onkyo

- Sat TV: set up to output 1080i
- Cable TV: set up to output 1080i
- Oppo 103 BR: I am not sure how it is set up now, but I will change it to Source Direct (via its HMDI 2 out to avoid image processing)

My goal is to get the best picture possible, and given the fact that I need to live with the Onkyo set on auto resolution, are the above settings correct? (or it will be better to set the Sat TV and Cable TV to auto?)

What about the Panasonic and Sony projector?, should I change anything there?

Thanks so much for your help guys

The Onkyo's automatic setting in fact is a selection to ensure the base available common resolution, as you can't override it with inferior ones. ;) Similarly you should not have to make any settings on the TV or projector. Calibration is recommended though [see the calibration stickies in the TVs / Projectors forums].

On the amp I'd suggest disabling everything and anything video-processing related.

Make sure you're using certified high speed HDMI cables, at least for any cable carring 1080p, deep colour or 3D. These will have the logo:
Sample_High_Speed_HDMI_Cable.jpg

Last edited:
I am not sure if it is of any help. But my onkyo 818 is set up so that the sources i own output the picture in there native resolution. The Onkyo then updates it to 1080p but maintains its framerate (23.99,50,60 etc etc) and then i let my TV do all the colour calibrations etc. It seemed to be the best solution for my setup.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom