I am correct in this: iMac with rWave > Arcam rDac > Amplifier (downstairs)

garysan

Established Member
Reaction score
Can someone just give me the nod that this plan will work. I have an iMac with Apple Lossless music on it and want to get that music to my receiver downstairs (directly underneath the office where the iMac is).

Am I correct that I can plug in an rWave dongle and then have whatever I tell the iMac to play (through iTunes or iRemote app on iPad) and have it arrive at an rDAC downstairs which is then connected through the Aux RCA inputs on my receiver?

Seems a tidy solution if my thought-process is right.

You need the rDac-kw to connect to the rWave.

from the Arcam site
If you store your music on a PC or Mac then the rWave USB dongle or rWand iPod/iPad dongle are the perfect way to stream your music direct to the rDAC-kw and on to your HiFi.

If yours is the kw then this will work or you need to get it upgraded.

Could be cheaper to hook an Apple Airport Express to the S/PDIF input on the AVR

You need the rDac-kw to connect to the rWave.

from the Arcam site
If you store your music on a PC or Mac then the rWave USB dongle or rWand iPod/iPad dongle are the perfect way to stream your music direct to the rDAC-kw and on to your HiFi.

If yours is the kw then this will work or you need to get it upgraded.

Sorry, I did mean the kw version - haven't bought anything yet but anxious to pull the trigger and get things moving :)

Could be cheaper to hook an Apple Airport Express to the S/PDIF input on the AVR

Not so much looking to save a few quid - not necessarily want cheapest but want best/slickest 'fit for purpose' if that makes sense.

I don't want to cut any corners and sacrifice sound quality. I want at least as good/same output as I enjoy through my CD37.

I want at least as good/same output as I enjoy through my CD37

You may want to look at Linn Majik-DS, Yamaha NP-S2000, or even a 2nd hand Squeebox Transporter

Last edited:
You may want to look at Linn Majik-DS, Yamaha NP-S2000, or even a 2nd hand Squeebox Transporter

Some wildly varying price points there amcluesent.

The Denon doesn't have an iPad app (only iPhone), the Linn is more than I would want to spend at this time although it is a fine solution, I don't want a squeezebox and the Yamaha has no Wi-Fi + I'm not that keen on it either - sounds a bit bright with not much bass extension.

I'd have a look at an Apple TV going directly and digitally to your existing receiver. This way you get to transport video downstairs along with music. Also, it will only cost £100...

If you only ever plan to use an AV Receiver for amplification I would expect that unless it is a very high end model you would not get any where near the full benefit of a decent stereo DAC. Conventional wisdom puts a £2k AV-R roughly on par with a £500 stereo amp for stereo duties.

I have my rDAC going to a £500 ish amp giving great results. I think that the rDAC is well matched to a stereo amp of this level. My PC is connected directly by USB on this system, the USB is how the rDAC shines. I've other systems where I have Apple TV's and an airport express connected to a lesser stereo DAC and amp and a couple of AV-Rs with very good results, proportionate the the systems. You just choose the output device or combination of them using the remote app.

I would suggest a look at an Apple TV, as long as you have wireless coverage or an ethernet port in both rooms. This will give you access cheaply and then you can decide on the rDAC later on. If you think it will give your system a lift you can then use an optical lead from the Apple TV to the rDAC. And, maybe even a stereo amp...

Good luck and enjoy... ;)

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom