1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I am being told conflicting things about progressive scan...pls clarify :)

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by oreoboy13, Jan 4, 2002.

1. oreoboy13

oreoboy13

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am about to purchase either a Denon 2800 or an Arcam DV88 (upgraded to have progressive Scan), one of these is to be used on my Toshiba 36Z18ZP, i bought this as it had components inputs and i thought i would be able make use of progressive scan. As long as i have region 1 discs or i get a mod for the dvd player.

However several ppl on pther forums have been telling me that this isnt true and that the TV may not support it, because its a UK TV. As far as i am aware this is crap, but it has got me worried so can anyone give me some definite answers.

P.s one person also said that i should get a line doubler between my sources and TV, again this confused me as i thought line doublers were for VGA, XGA, SVGA etc type displays, e.g a projector or plasma.

2. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,786
    OK:

A progressive scan signal can be sent by inmany forms and can be sent between devices in many ways. One of these is in "component YPrPb" form. However an interlaced picture can also be sent in many forms, one of which is....."component YPrPb".....

So not every device that has component inputs need be capable fo accepting a progressive signal. In your case I think you'll find that the TV in question doesn't have this capability. I'd check with the manufacturer if it can cope with a 32KHz scan rate on its component input and I'm sure you'll find it wont.

Line doublers de-interlace all interlaced signals sent to them. That is they take a 480i signal from DVD and output it as 480P, both at 60Hz. If it were PAL then it would be 576i to 576P @ 50 Hz. Funnily enough this is exactly what is happening inside a progressive scan DVD player. The benefit with using an external device is that ALL the sources you send through it get turned to a progressive signal, not just the DVD. You do need a display device capable of using this higher bandwidth signal though. At present that would be some projectors, some plasma's and abou thte only TV's I can think of would be Loewe's with optional VGA card installed. (VGA is 640x480P @60Hz This is extremely close to line doubled NTSC so you'lll find most devices that accept VGA will accept doubled NTSC. PAL progressive is 720 x 576 @ 50hz....not much like anything. There are fewer devices that support this at present).

So it looks like they are all correct. You MUST check this with the TV manufacturer before going any further!

Gordon

3. t-force

t-force

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +99
    What was said about Prog Scan TVs is true. As far as I can remember, only Hitachi make any TVs with prog scan, and even then, it's only their high-end ones. You will of course be able to use the component inputs, just not prog scan.

I'm not so sure about the line doubler issue, but as far as I can tell, there is no reason why a doubler shouldn't work with a "conventional" TV, although whether it's worth it on a 36 incher is debateable.

4. laurie

laurie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I dont know if this is the case in the UK but some tv's do their own internal so called progressive scan tricks and claim to be digital also, thats true for the tv, but not for the inputs they take the analogue and change it to digital as some may display anything up to several small screens on the main screen from scart,s-video,composite ect and may also include p-i-p and p-o-p
    cheers laurie

5. lmccauley

lmccauley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +212
    'Fraid not - the output from a line doubler will essentially be the same as that from a progressive scan DVD player.

Cheers,
    Liam

P.S. What Gordon says is 100% correct

6. CrunchyB

CrunchyB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Please note that in some cases (progressive videogames like on GCN or XBox) the signal isn't line-doubled afterwards but generated in a progressive shape. It's the real thing.

Only for component NTSC though.