I am a simple man.....

scrapbook

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
.....so tell me how I can improve my cd stereo output from my DVD/AMP/SPEAKER combination?

Let me see if I have this right:

My satellite speakers have a frequency range kicking in at about 120hz, therefore any bass is passed through to the sub when the amp is set to 'small speakers'?

Now this output sounds fine with movie DD/DTS tracks, but why does it suck with CD stereo output? To be honest my daughters £120 JVC midi hifi sounds better at the moment!!!

Do all home cinema speaker packages sound average with stereo output when the speakers kick in at such high frequency?

Is the solution,with the exisiting DVD/AMP set up, to have fronts that kick in at say 65hz and change the amp to 'large speakers'?

Would a speaker package like the FS1 be any better despite all the base still being handled by the sub, the review I read made noises about the stereo sound?

Anyone out there going to solve this one for me? Thanks for any thoughts/comments!

Originally posted by scrapbook
My satellite speakers have a frequency range kicking in at about 120hz, therefore any bass is passed through to the sub when the amp is set to 'small speakers'?
You may find that your reciever,on cd re-play, does not output a signal to the sub.

Thanks for that, but it is not that simple.

Sub is definately outputting the bass! If I turn that off, blimey, it sounds as though the music is coming through a couple of tin cans!!

Anyone else able to help?

what are your subs and sat? whats the amp?

ad

Neither AV amps nor DVD players are reknowned for their ability with stereo with some being considerably worse than others. A kit list may help pinpoint the problem.

I have Sony STRDE475 & Pascal SAVE225 Speakers

Is the general idea that main front speakers with a lower range likely to be better for stereo output correct?

Originally posted by scrapbook
Is the general idea that main front speakers with a lower range likely to be better for stereo output correct?

Not necessarily as it's down to the cost, design and materials used in the indivual speaker. The Gallo speakers are only a few inches in diameter, are admittedly much more expensive but have enthralled most that have heard them.

With respect, your amp was a budget model designed for AV use and was never renowned for it's musicality. Likewise your speakers whilst adequate for DVD use will probably not seem so good when replaying CDs

My son had the STR375 and a speaker package from a company I have never heard and got great sound in stereo, though he did upgrade the sub to a Kef PSW1000, has now got my MX2's hooked up untill his new amp arrives and the soung quality has increased quite a bit, getting lovely bass even when the sub is off. Have a check through the settings, I know the manual was no help when I set his up, took a few goes to select the correct settings. Apart from that it could be the speaker package itself that is letting things down.

Id be tempted to put the blame on the speakers. But I think Ian is correct. Your combo wasnt designed for stereo replay so is likely to be poor at it.

Perhaps it would be worth borrowing a friends speakers and seeing what stereo sounds like.

ad

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom