1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I am a bit confused and need advice

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by infomatique, Nov 10, 2004.

1. infomatique

infomatique

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am based in Dublin (Ireland) and don’t really have the option of trying equipment prior to purchase which means that I really do have to carry out in depth research prior to making a final purchase and in most cases I have to import from Germany or the UK (from my point of view, the UK not being in the Euro Zone is a bit of a pain).

I have ordered a canon XEED SX50 projector (also known as the Realis SX50) … this is a bit of a gamble as the item in question is not yet available so I have no idea as to how good it really is. See http://www.canon.co.uk/for_home/pro...a_projectors/multimedia_projectors/XEED_SX50/

I already have a Denon A1 A/V amplifier. I purchased an ISCAN PRO about two years ago and as I want to get the best performance possible from the XEED I am now considering the following:
    ISCAN HD
    ISCAN HD+ (very much towards the high end of my budget)
    Lumagen Vision DVI

I would like to make purchase in late December or Early January and as I was pleased with the ISCAN PRO I am currently leaning towards the ISCAN HD.

My problem is that I am not very knowledgeable about video processing especially when it comes to HDCP.
    For example what (within the European context) are the sources of HDCP?
    I believe that JVC are planning a D-VHS HDCP recorder but it is not clear if this will be available in Europe (I already have a JVC D-VHS unit and it is excellent).

The XEED is supposed to be HDCP compatible but what does this really mean and is it relevant if sources are not readily available in Europe. If, at some stage, I managed to get my hands on a HDCP unit such as the JVC D-VHS recorder would I have problems using it via the ISCAN HD or Vision DVI or would it be necessary to have a HD+ If the signal source is HDCP and the display is HDCP compliant will there be problems if the signal passes through the Vision or ISCAN HD and if the answer is no what is the advantage of the HD plus?

If I purchase a processor I want to be future proof as much as possible but on the other hand I would like to obtain the best quality possible from my system.
    The ISCANs appear to be more flexible than the VISION DVI but I get the impression that when it comes to absolute quality the Lumagen unit is slightly better but a few things worry me … the software appears to be still in Beta and the DVI outputs shown on photographs appear to be DVI-D rather than DVD-I.

Sorry for such a lengthy posting but I would appreciate any advice that is available.

2. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,593
    infomatique

Any source with an HDMI Digital output will apply HDCP encryption to any software that flags up the copy protection - if its a DVD player it reads the macro vision flag on discs and switches on HDCP accordingly.

Some sources with a DVI Digital output are also HDCP enabled - you have to read the manful to find out what is and what isn't.

If your display device (projector) has an HDMI Input then its HDCP compliant and if it has a DVI Input again you need to read the small print - it may or may not be HDCP compliant.

If your source outputs HDCP your display must be HDCP compliant or you get no picture.

A DVDO iScanHD can 'passthrough' an HDCP signal - so you can use the HD to switch HDCP and non HDCP signals into an HDCP compliant Display.

The Lumagen Vision range and the DVDO iScanHD+ can process HDCP signals (again check to small print to see what signals they work with) - once processed the Digital signal is output with HDCP reapplied; again you can use these devices to switch HDCP and non HDCP signals into an HDCP compliant display.

The Lumagen products are no more or less 'flexible' than the DVDO products for video processing and switching - though DVDO do include Digital Audio Switching and Delay if you require that feature.

Both DVDO and Lumagen are offering in life Firmware updates - for no cost at this time so what you purchase now will be improved upon and tweaked.

Drop me a PM if you want more detailed info.

Best regards

Joe

3. Thunder

Thunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    The I Scan HD+ has a HDCP compliant DVI output :)

4. Thunder

Thunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Sorry think I misread your thread Joe :blush:

5. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,593
    Thunder

No worries - I confuse myself sometimes :)

Best regards

Joe