I agree with delaying reopening from June 21 at least for nightclubs which will be superspreader events

I would of loved the country to be able to ease all restrictions on the 21st as I have a ticket to the Open at Sandwich next month.

Unfortunately we need that four week delay as it stands now and my own needs would be selfish .

Still hoping I can go.. but not end of the world.

Yes, indeed.

I answered Mr Wright's question honestly from my own personal point of view, well aware that others (most?) would disagree.

At my time of life, I appreciate a bit of peace and quiet and that's what the current restrictions provide.

I can assure you that most of my neighbours feel likewise.

I trust I won't be ostracised for telling the truth?
What exactly is it that is restricted that is having a positive effect for you?

Covid: Lockdown easing in England to be delayed by four weeks

While I want the lockdown to end ASAP, it seems crazy to me that they would open nightclubs when virtually no young people have been vaccinated.
My kids, 21 and 19 will be right out there enjoying themselves as soon as they can and you can bet that if anyone is in a club with covid, everyone will leave with it.
Kids (I’m talking about people under 25) won’t have much in the way of symptoms generally, but of course they can then pass it on to older family and friends and remember that the vaccine protects 90%, not 100. And people can catch covid multiple times, so having had it does not necessarily give immunity.

They should drop all restrictions only when everyone who can be vaccinated is vaccinated (including younger children where deemed safe) and get that job done ASAP.
Maybe open up more selectively with venues and events where social distancing is impossible and/or deliberately ignored (like in nightclubs by drunk folks) being delayed until we’ve all got the jab.
I completely agree with the delay too although I do understand the frustration of venues and nightclubs not being able to open fully when there have been test events which show it can be done safely.

The government can't win either way but must do more to support and help venues to stay open.

I also feel that Boris should never have suggested all restrictions could go by 21st June at the earliest and instead should have sid they would look at easing all restrictions gradually as even in 4 weeks if its safe then it should be done cautiously. Also people don't seem to realise that the easing of restrictions doesn't neccessarily mean masks and distancing will go altogether so Boris needs to clearly state that.

Yes, indeed.

I answered Mr Wright's question honestly from my own personal point of view, well aware that others (most?) would disagree.

At my time of life, I appreciate a bit of peace and quiet and that's what the current restrictions provide.

I can assure you that most of my neighbours feel likewise.

I trust I won't be ostracised for telling the truth?
I had no issues with your honesty in your post as I know many friends and family who feel the same as yourself . I only highlighted the last part that I thought was not needed or could of been worded differently.

I also feel that Boris should never have suggested all restrictions could go by 21st June at the earliest and instead should have sid they would look at easing all restrictions gradually as even in 4 weeks if its safe then it should be done cautiously. Also people don't seem to realise that the easing of restrictions doesn't neccessarily mean masks and distancing will go altogether so Boris needs to clearly state that.
It doesn't much matter what he said as people hear what they want to hear.

maybe but he sounds like he is taking pleasure in others not getting the opening up they want, he can stayed locked down forever if he wants regardless. And I was told that nobody on these forums actually thought like that
It may sound like that to you but that's not what was actually said.

I've previously questioned those who claim there are lots of people on these forums who take pleasure from others not being able to do their usual activities due to the restrictions. They've never been able to provide any examples when asked and it's not the case here as you've read something into some words which is not there.

It may sound like that to you but that's not what was actually said.

I've previously questioned those who claim there are lots of people on these forums who take pleasure from others not being able to do their usual activities due to the restrictions. They've never been able to provide any examples when asked and it's not the case here as you've read something into some words which is not there.
well exactly until now, I just took offence to this line as really for 99% of people they aren't that affected by the further relaxations that may have happened anyway so why say 'and now my wish has been granted again'. What difference does it make to him if nightclubs are open or we can go to gigs etc In fact 'again' isn't even accurate as its the first time we have delayed fully opening.
SD and masks were not going any way they were a separate review.

I completely agree with the delay too although I do understand the frustration of venues and nightclubs not being able to open fully when there have been test events which show it can be done safely.

The government can't win either way but must do more to support and help venues to stay open.

People were demanding a plan and the government came up with a roadmap for lifting the lockdown. It's understandable that people want to know the dates so they can plan ahead but it was made abundantly clear that this plan is subject to review. That can obviously cause problems if the plan needs to be changed but the government always gets criticised, even though they haven't made any promises regarding these dates.

A bit like what you said, the government can't win whatever they do. For many people, it's always the government's fault, no matter what. I don't agree with everything they do but if they have a good scientific basis for this decision then that's fine with me. This is the third lockdown so I think the government is being more careful this time as lessons have been learnt from what we did wrong when emerging from the first two lockdowns.

Cue a load of posts from people complaining their “Freedom Day” has been denied and saying the goalposts have been moved, as if a virus cares about arbitrary dates.
It's not really one size fits all though is it?

Do I personally think the goverment are moving the goalposts with "freedom day"? No, the data is suggesting it's probably the right thing although maybe a little overzealous waiting four weeks for another review of the data.

Do I think they're moving the goalposts by turning Portugal amber when there's sod all Covid in that country bar Lisbon (And even there not anywhere near a catastrophic amount)? Too right I do!

People were demanding a plan and the government came up with a roadmap for lifting the lockdown. It's understandable that people want to know the dates so they can plan ahead but it was made abundantly clear that this plan is subject to review. That can obviously cause problems if the plan needs to be changed but the government always gets criticised, even though they haven't made any promises regarding these dates.

A bit like what you said, the government can't win whatever they do. For many people, it's always the government's fault, no matter what. I don't agree with everything they do but if they have a good scientific basis for this decision then that's fine with me. This is the third lockdown so I think the government is being more careful this time as lessons have been learnt from what we did wrong when emerging from the first two lockdowns.
How are you defining "lockdown"?

A goverment in power at a time of crisis will be dammed if you do dammed if you don't, that comes with the territory.

Whilst I welcome this approach and indeed the vaccine rollout. The Delta variant that has led to this delay is because of the delay of this Governments total failure on putting India on the red list and the 50K that came into the country before it was implemented .

We control our own borders ( apparently) and in doing this correctly the Delta variant could of been slowed to a pace whilst the vaccine rollout had a larger impact . This may of led to the roadmap going ahead as planned .

It's not really one size fits all though is it?

Do I personally think the goverment are moving the goalposts with "freedom day"? No, the data is suggesting it's probably the right thing although maybe a little overzealous waiting four weeks for another review of the data.

Do I think they're moving the goalposts by turning Portugal amber when there's sod all Covid in that country bar Lisbon (And even there not anywhere near a catastrophic amount)? Too right I do!

The Portugal full 180 is the government's attempt to put people off on international holiday destinations . The goal is staycation and spend all that lockdown £££ in the UK to give our economy a boost.

A goalpost I can get on board with although the Cotswolds will be rammed in August .

I had no issues with your honesty in your post as I know many friends and family who feel the same as yourself . I only highlighted the last part that I thought was not needed or could of been worded differently.

Yes, with hindsight I realise my last quip could have caused offence and I apologise.

I always try to end my posts on a light note (generally at the long suffering Mrs TG's expense!) and on this occasion that saying just popped into my head.

What exactly is it that is restricted that is having a positive effect for you?

Nothing that is specifically restricted at present, but there has certainly been much less aggravation over the last 15 months from thoughtless people causing a nuisance.

Pre-Covid our little village was plagued with motor bikes roaring up and down the narrow lanes at all hours plus "joy-riders" practicing their handbrake turns in the local fields.

The present tranquility reminds me of my childhood but I fear it won't last once all the restrictions are lifted and I'll have to go back to wearing ear-plugs in order to get a good night's sleep.

Yes, with hindsight I realise my last quip could have caused offence and I apologise.

I always try to end my posts on a light note (generally at the long suffering Mrs TG's expense!) and on this occasion that saying just popped into my head.

Nothing that is specifically restricted at present, but there has certainly been much less aggravation over the last 15 months from thoughtless people causing a nuisance.

Pre-Covid our little village was plagued with motor bikes roaring up and down the narrow lanes at all hours plus "joy-riders" practicing their handbrake turns in the local fields.

The present tranquility reminds me of my childhood but I fear it won't last once all the restrictions are lifted and I'll have to go back to wearing ear-plugs in order to get a good night's sleep.
I believe ( and yes it is strange to say ) that there are positives and negative for all during lockdowns .

I myself have loved less traffic on the roads as all through have had to commute to work. At the same time it's quite staggering how many of our suppliers to my place of work have folded during this pandemic .

How are you defining "lockdown"?
I don't have an exact definition as it's used by the government when they talk about lockdowns but it relates to imposing restrictions as to what people can do and where they can go. It may not seem like a lockdown as those restrictions are eased but I would say it's over when all the restrictions are removed.

Why do you ask?

Delta variant > more new cases > lockdown easing extended ... July 19
▪︎UK's Johnson delays lockdown easing for England by 4 weeks

The mortality rate is still very low, thanks to the works of vaccination.

* India had their numbers readjusted recently, numbers for last week...with roughly 10,000 lesser deaths. I was quite surprised seeing that yesterday. It has to be more positive than negative for the UK, and the rest of the world?

Hang on for another month UK.

Delta variant > more new cases > lockdown easing extended ... July 19
▪︎UK's Johnson delays lockdown easing for England by 4 weeks

The mortality rate is still very low, thanks to the works of vaccination.

* India had their numbers readjusted recently, numbers for last week...with roughly 10,000 lesser deaths. I was quite surprised seeing that yesterday. It has to be more positive than negative for the UK, and the rest of the world?

Hang on for another month UK.
Pinch of salt n such believing anything coming from this Modi goverment , especially rounding down figures .

Last edited:
I feel considering the long haul this has been if its another month then its worth it. Just to be more sure. Generally feels like social distancing has sort of gone away in a lot of places now and really most seem to be still doing mask in shops etc only, and at like our school, though more and more are clearly not bothering with any more to.

Though I guess would feel different to if worked in an area affected greatly until all restrictions are lifted. The many that have been excluded with no help seem far to big and just thankful my work has continued ok.
That's how I feel as well. Though as I live in a seaside town I've seen how packed the beaches and high streets I've been. I appreciate those visiting can get in holiday mode, but it really does feel like zero social distancing now, and it's very difficult on narrow pavements to avoid the hoards of other people.

Like many, this announcement has affected my sister's rescheduled wedding. At least the 30-person limit has been removed and numbers are venue dependant based on the space they have to accommodate socially distanced tables of six. No evening do though.

Like many, this announcement has affected my sister's rescheduled wedding. At least the 30-person limit has been removed and numbers are venue dependant based on the space they have to accommodate socially distanced tables of six. No evening do though.
Like many , nothing really important in the grand sceme of people's plans or lives going forward. Unless that is it involves losing one's job because of this delay .

It was always going to be delayed as soon as the morons delayed stopping people from India coming into the country.

Personally I have no problem with it, we've been in three lockdowns and if a small delay means no further lockdown then I'm all for it..

Social distancing is non existent anyway and the number of shops locally that allow everyone and anyone in without a mask is a joke. This half-term week has been a nightmare with the number of people coming down into the county not giving a hoot about rules.

I went to get mine and my sons haircut the other week and the hairdresser got in a mood because my son wanted to wear his mask.

As far as I was aware it was mandatory and not an option, safe to say I'll go elsewhere in future.

I don't have an exact definition as it's used by the government when they talk about lockdowns but it relates to imposing restrictions as to what people can do and where they can go. It may not seem like a lockdown as those restrictions are eased but I would say it's over when all the restrictions are removed.

Why do you ask?

Because when a term is too elastic it becomes meaningless.

Lockdown is what we had last spring when everything was closed except for essentials, people were told to stay at home and only allowed out for exercise for one hour a day, no mixing with anyone from outside your household ....

If you're going to use the word "lockdown" to describe a situation when practically everything is open, people are allowed to travel freely within the country, eat and drink inside pubs and restaurants, mingle outdoors and in with others from multiple households, stay overnight in other people's houses etc ..... it cheapens the word. What do you have left to describe the earlier situation?

Because when a term is too elastic it becomes meaningless.

Lockdown is what we had last spring when everything was closed except for essentials, people were told to stay at home and only allowed out for exercise for one hour a day, no mixing with anyone from outside your household ....

If you're going to use the word "lockdown" to describe a situation when practically everything is open, people are allowed to travel freely within the country, eat and drink inside pubs and restaurants, mingle outdoors and in with others from multiple households, stay overnight in other people's houses etc ..... it cheapens the word. What do you have left to describe the earlier situation?
I partly agree.

I suppose we could use the adjective 'strict' to describe the first lockdown although ours wasn't as strict as some other countries that had curfews, for example. You could also say that we have had varying degrees of lockdown.

The use of the word 'lockdown' is rather ambiguous but I don't think that matters too much. It's probably the closest word for the circumstances so will have to do until someone comes up with something better. The important thing is that people know what the restrictions are and that most will comply with them.

Sadly as my mum went into a care home last week, this will make visits a challenge for longer. Currently during the first 14 days, it's 2 visits a week ( behind a glass screen a la prison visits) and then 3 visits a week until restrictions are lifted.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom