I agree with delaying reopening from June 21 at least for nightclubs which will be superspreader events

Stuart Wright

AVForums Founder
Staff member
Covid: Lockdown easing in England to be delayed by four weeks

While I want the lockdown to end ASAP, it seems crazy to me that they would open nightclubs when virtually no young people have been vaccinated.
My kids, 21 and 19 will be right out there enjoying themselves as soon as they can and you can bet that if anyone is in a club with covid, everyone will leave with it.
Kids (I’m talking about people under 25) won’t have much in the way of symptoms generally, but of course they can then pass it on to older family and friends and remember that the vaccine protects 90%, not 100. And people can catch covid multiple times, so having had it does not necessarily give immunity.

They should drop all restrictions only when everyone who can be vaccinated is vaccinated (including younger children where deemed safe) and get that job done ASAP.
Maybe open up more selectively with venues and events where social distancing is impossible and/or deliberately ignored (like in nightclubs by drunk folks) being delayed until we’ve all got the jab.

Last edited:

Ste7en

Distinguished Member
Makes zero sense to ease restrictions at the moment. Whatever they actually are now, looking around I don't think there are any...

I can't remember what they are supposed to be following, science or data, but both tell the same story. Bad idea!

inkinoo

Distinguished Member
Cue a load of posts from people complaining their “Freedom Day” has been denied and saying the goalposts have been moved, as if a virus cares about arbitrary dates.

The Thorne

They should drop all restrictions only when everyone who can be vaccinated is vaccinated.
Maybe open up more selectively with venues and events where social distancing is impossible and/or impractical being delayed until we’ve all got the jab.
That is going to take longer than 4 weeks maybe at least 10, especially as the next thing will be everyone will need 2nd doses...., by which time the Summer will be practically over. They can keep venues and nightclubs closed but the government really is going to have to start compensating more and improving insurance for large scale events and the artists, crew, DJs etc who have had next to no support this past 16 months.

Last edited:

lee1980

I feel considering the long haul this has been if its another month then its worth it. Just to be more sure. Generally feels like social distancing has sort of gone away in a lot of places now and really most seem to be still doing mask in shops etc only, and at like our school, though more and more are clearly not bothering with any more to.

Though I guess would feel different to if worked in an area affected greatly until all restrictions are lifted. The many that have been excluded with no help seem far to big and just thankful my work has continued ok.

The Thorne

As an old codger and a certified party pooper, I'm all for closing down nightclubs permanently as a health hazard.
It’s not like I go to them much now either but as a ex DJ and I used to run a club night, I’m just thankful I’m not in position where I need that income anymore.

daveattheone

It's alright continuing with the current restrictions for another 4 weeks but what happens if another variant comes along (echo?) in around 3 weeks time.

JimmyMac

Distinguished Member
I'm not sure another variant would be an issue, the idea of this delay is to prove that there is a break in the link between cases and hospitalisations. If that link is proven due to the vaccine rollout then we open up even if cases are still high because it will not be hospitalising people.

As it stand its look like that is the case but we need a bit longer to assess and prove that point and be ultimately completely sure that we can remove all restrictions and have no need to ever go backwards.

casjen

Easing some outdoor events where fully vaccinated people can go is not a problem for me. Its indoor events which are the problem. Im sure the idea of a vaccine passport for indoor events would be welcome by some of the establishments still affected and tho it exclude some I think its time to concentrate on the majority rather than the minority. Of course the usual "end of days" posters will posting the usual after the press conference about rights and the like. 70% double vaccinated is the stat for me , to think about any changes to social distancing, and with all indoor/transport mask mandates lasting thru to next spring.

richp007

Distinguished Member
Covid: Lockdown easing in England to be delayed by four weeks

While I want the lockdown to end ASAP, it seems crazy to me that they would open nightclubs when virtually no young people have been vaccinated.
My kids, 21 and 19 will be right out there enjoying themselves as soon as they can and you can bet that if anyone is in a club with covid, everyone will leave with it.
Kids (I’m talking about people under 25) won’t have much in the way of symptoms generally, but of course they can then pass it on to older family and friends and remember that the vaccine protects 90%, not 100. And people can catch covid multiple times, so having had it does not necessarily give immunity.

They should drop all restrictions only when everyone who can be vaccinated is vaccinated (including younger children where deemed safe) and get that job done ASAP.
Maybe open up more selectively with venues and events where social distancing is impossible and/or deliberately ignored (like in nightclubs by drunk folks) being delayed until we’ve all got the jab.

The problem is not everyone who can or should be will be vaccinated. There's still a lot who haven't had it. That's why we're pushing onto the younger age groups as well. Which is going to take time due to the 2nd doses being required for Delta (although one does help).

Too many people (not you) are getting wrapped up now in us going back into lockdown or this never ending. It will, it just requires more patience.

In turn that requires more support from the government, so they'll have to step up and provide it.

Tight Git

Distinguished Member
If you've been paying attention to my posts, you'll know that I'm one of those lucky (some would say, strange) individuals who are enjoying lockdown and now my wish has been granted again.

Covid, the gift that keeps on giving! :lesson:

LaVieEnRose

Why do people keep saying we are in "lockdown"?
We aren't.
There are still some restrictions, but most places are open, we are free to travel from home, meet other people etc.
Even the BBC are at it.

raduv1

Distinguished Member
If you've been paying attention to my posts, you'll know that I'm one of those lucky (some would say, strange) individuals who are enjoying lockdown and now my wish has been granted again.

128K families who lost loved ones in the UK would beg to differ I'd imagine..

Last edited:

87gpk

As someone else said - 128k families probably wouldn’t describe Covid as “the gift that keeps on giving”.

Plus many many more people like me who’ve had their lives forever change and ruined without covid ever been contacted.

Each to their own though.

IronGiant

I'm pretty sure @Tight Git is well aware that many have suffered and is only talking about his personal experiences.

richp007

Distinguished Member
Why do people keep saying we are in "lockdown"?
We aren't.
There are still some restrictions, but most places are open, we are free to travel from home, meet other people etc.
Even the BBC are at it.

Lockdown sells. Many appear to have forgotten too how we were living not long back. Christ help us if we had to go back.

I expect the numpties in their thousands will be out protesting again this weekend, when there's very little of our freedoms actually being restricted.

The Thorne

I'm pretty sure @Tight Git is well aware that many have suffered and is only talking about his personal experiences.
maybe but he sounds like he is taking pleasure in others not getting the opening up they want, he can stayed locked down forever if he wants regardless. And I was told that nobody on these forums actually thought like that

IronGiant

I'm not sure that was a cast iron solid guarantee, but I take your point.

rephrasing: "Hardly anybody on these forums thinks like that". Although I still think @Tight Git should have a chance to clarify himself.

Tight Git

Distinguished Member

Yes, indeed.

I answered Mr Wright's question honestly from my own personal point of view, well aware that others (most?) would disagree.

At my time of life, I appreciate a bit of peace and quiet and that's what the current restrictions provide.

I can assure you that most of my neighbours feel likewise.

I trust I won't be ostracised for telling the truth?

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

What's new on UK streaming services for December 2021
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Best Projectors of 2021 - Editor's Choice Awards
  • By Steve Withers
  • Published
Black Friday 2021: What you need to know
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Blu-ray Special - The Cinema of Zhang Yimou & Gong Li