I’ve got two Nad 314 amps but...

simondoes

Novice Member
I’ve got two Nad 314 amps but one of them has a fault with one of the channels- the left- which after half an hour starts to degrade and cut out. I’m guessing the relay needs cleaning but I can’t find anyone that knows how to help, is it possible myself? Any YouTube instructions I can follow?
I was thinking of using it to (horizontal) bi-amp (one running the lower frequency) but now I’m wondering if I could use one amp per channel (just to experiment)? Using the “broken” amp to run the right speaker only and the other the left (vertical amping). BUT....
How do I wire the inputs? Split the source and send one signal to one amp and one to the other? Are the amps in danger as they are now only receiving one side of the stereo signal (and only sending out one half of course)?

Any ideas? I’d most like to get my amp fixed so if anyone has comments on that please do chip in.

noiseboy72

Distinguished Member
I doubt a dirty relay is the cause of the cutting out. Sounds like a heating effect failure, maybe a dry joint or failing capacitor.

There's no issue simply sending a single signal to an amplifier and leaving the other channel unused. Equally you could send the signal but not connect to the output. That being said, I would not recommend either approach if the amplifier is faulty as the fault may get worse and cause more damage if left.

simondoes

Novice Member
Googling the fault, the relay seems to be the most common issue but I appreciate your suggestion. Any idea how I try to find a dry solder? - not sure I’d be able to identify which capacitor is at fault.

noiseboy72

Distinguished Member
Dry solder joints are simply a case of going around the board and looking for discoloured solder joints and where pins don't look to be well soldered. A magnifying glass can be helpful with this.

I would have thought if the relay contacts are dirty, it would not work at all, not cut out after a period of time, but it's easy enough to change the relay. I wouldn't bother trying to clean it, as it's likely to fail again quite quickly.

Anything more than this and you will need a service manual, test equipment and some experience to interpret the results, so not a job for the novice really.

simondoes

Novice Member
Dry solder joints are simply a case of going around the board and looking for discoloured solder joints and where pins don't look to be well soldered. A magnifying glass can be helpful with this.

I would have thought if the relay contacts are dirty, it would not work at all, not cut out after a period of time, but it's easy enough to change the relay. I wouldn't bother trying to clean it, as it's likely to fail again quite quickly.

Anything more than this and you will need a service manual, test equipment and some experience to interpret the results, so not a job for the novice really.
Thanks. I’ll have a look, seems a shame to give up on it.

The latest video from AVForums

Oculus Quest 2 VR headset + Rotel A14 MkII Amp Reviews & Best of the Month
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom