I’m NOT an audiophile but I like quality sound. All suggestions welcome

GullyGreen

Novice Member
I have a separates system from 15 years ago (AVI Lab amp, Cyrus PSX - R & CD Player, Naim Uniti Qute v1, Pro-jest turntable & phono amp, ATC SCM 12 speakers, atacama dreadnought stands & rack). The system has been thoroughly enjoyed, giving crisp, clear, detailed, quality sound, it has been very well cared for but the Naim display has gone & whilst reviewing things, I think I need to make some changes. I still want to listen to vinyl & CDs, internet radio but also now to stream (especially classical music from IDAGIO). Do I just face the truth that I need to replace the lot ? Will new digital pieces of kit work with old gear ? Do I keep it all except the Naim & just add a DAC ? Which one ? I like the Naim Uniti Atom but is that overkill ? Please help !

Paul7777x

Distinguished Member
You’d need to spend a large wad of cash to replace the lot with even similar sounding stuff. To better it all would be seriously expensive.

Do you have a budget in mind?

In the meantime I’d just use the Naim with the app.

Ugg10

Distinguished Member
Agree with @Paul7777x, you would need a pretty big wedge of cash to upgrade all of it. If it sounds good either just use the Naim app or iirc Naim will repair for about £300 or there are non official replacements. If you want to spend cash and can use a streamer without a screen I.e. control it from a phone/tablet then the Node 2i will do the job, the Cambridge CXN or 851N and Project Stream Box RS have a screen, or you pair a digital output streamer with a DAC like the IFI Zen Stream / Project Stream Box S2 / Primare NP5 plus any choice of DAC.

GullyGreen

Novice Member
You’d need to spend a large wad of cash to replace the lot with even similar sounding stuff. To better it all would be seriously expensive.

Do you have a budget in mind?

In the meantime I’d just use the Naim with the app.
Many thanks. I am using the app & it works well but I wish to stream music too so want to add a streamer (radio will be part of it too). Is the Cambridge CXN v2 a good item ?

GullyGreen

Novice Member
Agree with @Paul7777x, you would need a pretty big wedge of cash to upgrade all of it. If it sounds good either just use the Naim app or iirc Naim will repair for about £300 or there are non official replacements. If you want to spend cash and can use a streamer without a screen I.e. control it from a phone/tablet then the Node 2i will do the job, the Cambridge CXN or 851N and Project Stream Box RS have a screen, or you pair a digital output streamer with a DAC like the IFI Zen Stream / Project Stream Box S2 / Primare NP5 plus any choice of DAC.
Thank you for these suggestions - very helpful

Paul7777x

Distinguished Member
Many thanks. I am using the app & it works well but I wish to stream music too so want to add a streamer (radio will be part of it too). Is the Cambridge CXN v2 a good item ?

Indeed it is. But a bit expensive for what it is imo. Especially following the recent price rise.

Normally, I wouldn’t recommend anyone sell the mighty AVI Lab Series amp, it’s magnificent. So I’d suggest you keep it anyway.👍

However, I’d further suggest you consider the Lyngdorf 1120.

It has everything you need including a top class radio streamer.

The streaming part is very good indeed. And RoomPerfect is worth the cash by itself.

Tom @ Cinehome can arrange a home loan so you lose nothing by trying it out.

Last edited:

GullyGreen

Novice Member
Indeed it is. But a bit expensive for what it is imo. Especially following the recent price rise.

Normally, I wouldn’t recommend anyone sell the mighty AVI Lab Series amp, it’s magnificent. So I’d suggest you keep it anyway.👍

However, I’d further suggest you consider the Lyngdorf 1120.

It has everything you need including a top class radio streamer.

The streaming part is very good indeed. And RoomPerfect is worth the cash by itself.

Tom @ Cinehome can arrange a home loan so you lose nothing by trying it out.
I will definitely look into this. Thanks 👍

The latest video from AVForums

Paramount + UK launch: Halo, Star Trek and Beavis, and all the latest 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom