I´m confused about hz

caz2005

Does 100, 200, 400 or even now we can set 600hz sets really matter since BluRays play back at 24hz, or am I just missing something? :confused:

D

Deleted member 293381

The 100Hz etc refers to the refresh rate of the panel and the picture you are viewing. 24Hz refers to the input signal to the TV from the blu-ray player.

If you viewed 24p it would cause eye-strain - all that flicker!

Does 100, 200, 400 or even now we can set 600hz sets really matter since BluRays play back at 24hz, or am I just missing something? :confused:

On most games (possibly all but crysis) my PC hit's over 70 FPS and in somecases over 200 :O. So yeah it matters to me :D

YellowSphere

On most games (possibly all but crysis) my PC hit's over 70 FPS and in somecases over 200 :O. So yeah it matters to me :D
No it doesn't, because you'll still input at 60Hz to a television set.

It's important to remember that (as far as LCD is concerned) any 100/200Hz is all extra processing, which whilst it may cause an increase in the perceived picture quality, may equally lead to processing artefacts, or other undesirable picture attributes.

Ultimately, I don't think it's worth playing lots (say, £100+) more just for an increase in this area of the set's performance.

No it doesn't, because you'll still input at 60Hz to a television set.

It's important to remember that (as far as LCD is concerned) any 100/200Hz is all extra processing, which whilst it may cause an increase in the perceived picture quality, may equally lead to processing artefacts, or other undesirable picture attributes.

Ultimately, I don't think it's worth playing lots (say, £100+) more just for an increase in this area of the set's performance.

So all PC's output are limited to 60hz? Interesting Is that a hardware limitation on the PC or TV/monitors part? Or something else?

EDIT - I see you specifically mention TV set, so I take it a monitor can surpass 60hz? Thanks for the info

Edit 2 - Damn you're making me want to buy a monitor hehe. Ummm I noticed something. When benchmarking with future mark vantage, after about 60 FPS I couldn't tell a differance. Is that purely because my TV limits it or is anything above about 60 impossible tfor the human eye/brain to notice?

Last edited:

S Bibby

Hi,
Does 100, 200, 400 or even now we can set 600hz sets really matter since BluRays play back at 24hz, or am I just missing something
Yes, I think you are basically correct. 24p is the feature you need to avoid judder and slidescreen-type effects in film. All these measurements are different since some involve interpolation of frames and others scanning but the general effect is smoother motion.

400/600hz is an attribute of Plasma technology and there are a few threads on the Plasma forum here about it. It is known as sub-field processing by Panasonic at least.

CRT TVs used to be limited to 50hz but most TVs nowadays can receive NTSC inputs at 60hz. That is all I know but Monitors are a different story and a PC user forum would probably have a better idea.

Last edited:

YellowSphere

Actually, many CRT TVs bought here were also compatible with 60Hz, indeed, every one I've ever come across has been (but I've not come across that many, as I've not been heavily into TVs for that long).

Any HD Ready TV has to be able to accept 60Hz input, it is part of being HD ready.

Different monitors support different refresh rates. 75Hz is quite common. The monitor in my laptop runs at 60Hz.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom