1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I´m between the infocus 4805 vs Sanyo Z2 whichone i should choose?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by booker, May 11, 2005.

1. booker

booker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Guys,
    maybe you can help me decide,

I´m between the infoucs 4805 vs Sanyo Z2

Before everyone jump for the Z2, since that is ture HD vs ED of the 4805 i can´t help to read amazing things of 4805 on Contrast and blacks, while i read the Z2 have weakpoints on contrast and Blacks.

I know the Z2 is 720P native while 4805 isn´t but i also know Resolution is not everything for the picture quality. a 720p picture will look bad if the black are soft or not good black.

So with that in mind, what i should get? Z2 or 4805?

Of course the projector will be for DVDs and Xbox gaming...

2. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have you any dealers nearby? You should really try to see both PJs in action & then make the decision.

Are you DLP "tolerant"?

I'm sure members here will have differing opinions & you really are the only one who can make the correct decision.

:smoke:

3. UrbanT

UrbanT
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,032
    I'm interested why you would buy a Z2? This is old technology that has been superceeded by the Z3, whereas the 4805 is a new unit. Having owned the Z2, and demo'd the 4805 on a couple of occasions, I would pick the 4805 hands down, even though it doesn't have a native HD resolution.

4. EnglishJohn

EnglishJohn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Not too sure why the Z2, demoed the 4805 and its a fab projector really do like it but didnt buy myself due to, a: that who rainbow thingy b: less conectons than Z3 c: really liked the picture on Z3 d: longer parts and labour warrenty.

e: the most important - i thought the projector was the best for me, read what everone says then see it yourself, only your eyes really no which one you prefer - merc or bmw what sorta driver are ya?

5. booker

booker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the reason is since i´m from argentina and the $ here is different from USA.
    THese are the 2 projectors i can get with that range.

the 4805 has amazing reviews but is ED while the Z2 is HD.

so basically you say i should go for the 4805 even when native is lower than Z2 since the tech is better?

6. UrbanT

UrbanT
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,032
    I say go for the 4805 simply because the colours and black levels are far ahead of the Z2, which is now old technology. Even though the 4805 is ED, it will (as far as I am aware) accept a HD input. Whats the point in having HD panels if you aren't happy with the colours or real greys of the Z2?

7. booker

booker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    urbant, the black levels are noticible for normal users like me? i´m very picky on picture quality but i´m no expert... i read this on many places, the black levels and contrast aren´t better than the 4805 but do i will notice this? or this is a comment on a expert level?

On the other hand i think i´ll go witht the 4805 and yeah, the projectos does accept HD inputs but downsacle to 852x480.

8. Oakleyspatz

Oakleyspatz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +230
    I think you will find the 4805 is better in nearly respect over the Z2. Better contrast, better blacks, better video processing and better colours. The Z2's resolution is higher but LCD shows it's pixels much more than DLP does so the difference in resolution will be offset by the visible pixel structure on the Z2 compared to nearly none on the 4805 from a resonable viewing distance. The only possible issue with DLP is the rainbow issue. The 4805 has a 6 segment / 4x speed colour wheel to reduce the occurance of rainbows but it doesn't elliminate them entirely if you are suseptable to them.
    If possible, audition the 4805 first, if not the it's up to you if you take the chance and buy it 'blindly' . I did and have never regreted my decision, but everybody has different tolerances to rainbows.

9. UrbanT

UrbanT
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,032
    You don't need to be an expert to see the differences. If you demo the 2 side by side, it should be fairly obvious. Try the opening scene from 2 Fast 2 Furious for example, which has vibrant colours of the cars, and the darks of a night time scene

10. booker

booker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    UrbanT
    I know if i put them side by side the contrast and black level of the 4805 will win, but i`m asking if i use the projector sanyo z2, does i will notice "lack of blacks" like the blacks are gray or something..... or the only way to see this is by comparing or watched the 4805 in action?

remember i`ll be using the projector for Gaming as well.... so bigger res is a huge plus.
    but i get your point.

11. UrbanT

UrbanT
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,032
    Well, the Z2 was my first projector, I bought it last June. Had no previous experience of projectors and initially the 'wow' factor hit. Within about a month, this had turned to disappointment as the films I knew so well from watching them on the TV, looked washed out and faded in comparison. The TX100 was a big improvement on the Z2, if the Z3 is out of reach in Argentina, what about the TX?

The games is a tough one. I suppose if those projectors are your only choices, the question becomes what do you want more? Better looking games, or better looking films? That then will dictate the one to buy for you.

12. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +929
    It is a tough one, i have a Z2 and have briefly demo'd a 4805. The Z2s scaler is poor imo i noticed a massive improvement feeding it a 720p signal from my hcpc and a 480p/720p from my xbox. I have had it for a year and half now (it was my first pj) and still kind of enjoy it, although i am itching to upgrade and will be doing so in the coming months.
    The Z2 is so easy to install as well due to the lens shift and short throw (if your room demands that), which is a big plus for your first pj. If you get one you really need to bypass the scaler to get the maximum from it.

When i viewed the 4805 i thought it was excellent and was really contemplating buying one and selling my Z2, but never got round to it due to the offset and throw etc. The 4805 picture is excellent, very vibrant and you can definitely see the improvement in contrast on the screen. The 4805 is more difficult to postion as i understand it, i am quite happy to be corrected on this.

With price being perfectly equal (i.e i would probably recommend the newer bread of LCDs but these are more $s) i guess it comes down to whether you want higher contrast or higher resolution and ease of installation, for me personally i just cannot now justify getting anything less than HD even if it means sacrificing some contrast, but would i buy the Z2 again now i would pay more and get a newer model Z3 or HS50.

13. booker

booker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    inzaman,
    i´m a little worried about the black levels of the Z2, so far this is the only concern.. and i´m not sure how bad they are, i keep reading they aren´t good but how bad are they?

I don´t want a gray black since that will kill the picture no matter how resolution you have.

so basically how is the black if u don´t compare with DLP or CRT side by side' a regular user like me will see Gray black like if the brightness is all the way up or what?

This is the pic that freak me out, they are comparing black from toshiba with sanyo z2, and the z2 looks really bad but i cant believe this si actually how it look... i feel the contrast y too high and the brightness is way up on this pic.. (i guess they want to make the Z2 a bad reputation) or is like this?

http://www.htguide.com/forum/showthread.php4?p=169309#post169309

scroll down.. you will see... let me know.

I know i should see myself but unfortunley screenshots are the only guide i have, and i never had a projector before, if this is important.

14. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +929
    It is hard to judge as i have never done a side by side myself, but to me the blacks dont look overly washed out or grey they are just not not deep and/or inky blacks, i guess it is like the optical illusion i.e it looks acceptable until you do a side by side comparison, but how often do you do that? If it is just blacks you are after then the 4805 would be worth going for, and/or you could look at getting a grey screen.

As i have stated for me it was the hidef and lens shift that sold it to me but my next pj will be a dlp, it is a shame you cannot get a demo because as i have stated above it is a very tough decision and i think that a demo would be required to make your mind up.

15. booker

booker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Totally true, it would be a matter of minutes to decide if i could look at them.

and the HD is the thing why i`m interested on Z2 over 4805 but at the same time i don`t want gray blacks, since no matter how res you have, if the blacks are gray the rest don`t matter.

but i do think they are ok while you don`t put a dlp on his side :)

on saturday ill go to the store to see some LCD and DLP projectors, i don`t think they got the z2 but at least try some lcd to give an idea how the grayscale is.

16. cinemagary

cinemagary

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Dont forget Black is the absence of projected light, the black in a picture will only be as dark as the ambient light, that is reflected off your screen.
    There is no such thing as Cinema Black it does not exist, even in the best Cinemas. When you look at dark scene in a film,the black on the screen is never as dark as the masking that surround the screen.
    As an ex cinema projectionist I have been to some of the best cinemas in the UK and USA including the Stag Theatre George Lucas's own cinema at Skywalker Ranch and it is the same there and that is THX etc.
    The SP 4805 is in my opinon offers great value, it produces and replicates the cinema image so well it is just like being at the cinema.I project onto a Vutech britewhite 1.2 gain fixed frame screen and the image (even with films that have a lot of dark scenes) look excellent. :thumbsup:

17. booker

booker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks, but i´m really going to the Z2 if what i see on saturday please me.

I do know the lcd won´t project good dark scenes, but i just don´t want gray dark... you know when u see a bad calibrated tv wich seems to have a Gray filter on it?... that is what i don´t want.

I saw some screens and some looks great and somes seems they have ambient light on it or bad calibrated.