Hywel Bennett

Garrett

He was in the naughty Percy and was surprised when I saw him in a very straight role in Tinker Taylor Soldier Spy.
But of the things I saw him in was great in Shelley and to a lesser extent The Return of Shelly.
I seem to think they were show after the late night news (ITV News at 10)in my region

Joe Pineapples

Distinguished Member
I don't remember much of 'Shelley' (have to remedy that), but remember him in a Sweeney episode (son of a crime boss), and 'Twisted Nerve' (1968) with Billie Whitelaw and Hayley Mills, in which he played an excellent part.

Rest In Peace.

Garrett

I don't remember much of 'Shelley' (have to remedy that), but remember him in a Sweeney episode (son of a crime boss), and 'Twisted Nerve' (1968) with Billie Whitelaw and Hayley Mills, in which he played an excellent part.

Rest In Peace.
Was he a computer expert they called in to sort something out?
Also he also stared with Haley Mills a couple of years before in the drama film The Family Way both had great themes one by Paul MacCartney and one by Bernard Hermann which they used in Kill Bill as Daryl Hannah walks down a corridor.
BTW Bri will becoming on remebering him in Dr Who:D

Joe Pineapples

Distinguished Member
Also he also stared with Haley Mills a couple of years before in the drama film The Family Way
No, his father had died and left 'the business' to him. He played another role opposite Hayley Mills in the eerie 'Endless Night' (1972), along with Britt Ekland.

tony nevitt

It was only last night that I saw him on tv in a film, "Endless Night" with Hayley Mills. He didn't suit the tough guy he portrayed in "EastEnders" imo RIP.

Garrett

No, his father had died and left 'the business' to him. He played another role opposite Hayley Mills in the eerie 'Endless Night' (1972), along with Britt Ekland.
It was John Hurt I was thinking of.

brian s

Distinguished Member
Very sad news. He appeared in so many good things. Shelley and Tinker Taylor Soldier Spy come immediately to mind.

RIP Hywel

brian s

Distinguished Member
Also he also stared with Haley Mills a couple of years before in the drama film The Family Way both had great themes one by Paul MacCartney and one by Bernard Hermann which they used in Kill Bill as Daryl Hannah walks down a corridor.
BTW Bri will becoming on remebering him in Dr Who:D

He did play a computer expert in something. I can't remember the name of it but I'm pretty sure it was a one off tv show. He played an alien in William Hartnell's Who story The Chase.

brian s

Distinguished Member
It was only last night that I saw him on tv in a film, "Endless Night" with Hayley Mills. He didn't suit the tough guy he portrayed in "EastEnders" imo RIP.
I had no idea he'd been in Eastenders. I just can't imagine him in that. Was he in it for very long?

Sonic67

Banned
He was in the naughty Percy and was surprised when I saw him in a very straight role in Tinker Taylor Soldier Spy.
But of the things I saw him in was great in Shelley and to a lesser extent The Return of Shelly.
I seem to think they were show after the late night news (ITV News at 10)in my region
Oh Lordy, I remember "Percy." Or rather I'd forgot all about it but now I remember it. It was something I saw on VHS years ago.

And yep Shelly was something I watched late night when we only had three TV channels.

I still remember the intro:

More:

And with Alan Rickman!

R.I.P.

brian s

Distinguished Member
I completely missed the early Shelly episodes. My parents raved about the show and I eventually caught up with them on DVD. They still work brilliantly well.

Garrett

Oh Lordy, I remember "Percy." Or rather I'd forgot all about it but now I remember it. It was something I saw on VHS years ago.
There was a sequel I thought I had imagined called Percy's Progress but could not see on Hywel listing, and was beginning to think it was the name of a book that what Percy was based on.
But there was, and was played by Leigh Lawson(married to Twiggy) not Hywel.

tony nevitt

I had no idea he'd been in Eastenders. I just can't imagine him in that. Was he in it for very long?
Yes Brian, he was in it for a few months if I remember correctly.

KiLLiNG-TiME

Distinguished Member
A fine actor i loved Shelley (professional freelance layabout with cutting wit) & if nobody remember he also played Mr Croup in the BBC production of Neil Gaimans Neverwhere (along with a Doctor Who playing the Angel of Islington) & of course he was in the excellent The Virgin Soldiers (1969).

RIP Hywel

Joe Pineapples

Distinguished Member
If anyone wants to catch it....on Talking Pictures TV (great free channel)

Tuesday 15th August 2017 – 22:00 THE FAMILY WAY (1966) Director: Roy Boulting Starring: Hywel Bennett, Hayley Mills, John Mills and Marjorie Rhodes. Newlyweds Arthur and Jenny want nothing more than to get their marriage started on the right foot. But their first night together is at the home of Arthur's parents…

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Reported HDMI 2.1 bugs, Audiolab Amp & LG LED Projector reviews + Best of the Month
Top Bottom