Hyundai Q321 or Samsung HD Ready Slimfit CRT for my first telly??

S

skervan

Hi folks,

I've been dipping in and out of this forum for a while now- some first class advice and info here. It sure beats trying to drag it out of a TV salesperson anyway!!

I have just moved into a new house (built it myself) in the border area in Ireland. Just got hooked up with an aerial and the aerial bloke tells me I have an A1 signal and should also be able to pick up Freeview from Northern Ireland.

I need to get a TV sorted soon. Based on what I have read here and my limited bit of fact-finding in TV shops, I have two possible alternatives the Hyundai Q321 or Samsung HD Ready Slimfit CRT.

The Hyundai Q321 is available from Xtravision for €999. I like the look of it but it seems to have got fairly mixed reviews here. I am worried that the picture quality for 'normal' TV will not be as good as the old tube telly and also that the price of these LCD's will drop sharply soon (like most people I hate paying over the odds for anything!!). Also the after sales may not be great since I will be buying it from what is essentially a video rental shop!!

As for the Samsung HD Ready Slimfit CRT, I have never seen one of these (local shop had a few but were sold out- possible a good sign). Should be able to buy one for around €850. Again this seems to have got mixed reviews (buzzing noises and geometry(??) problems).

I am leaning more towards the Samsung since it may have a better picture and is also cheaper but I also like the look of the Hyundai...?

Any help ye can give me would be appreciated!!

Lot of people have had problems with that CRT (I think it has huge geometry problems).

Not that the Q321 isn't without issue, but all in all a much better purchase IMO.

I think there's a few of us here who started with the Samsung Slimfit, me included, and have moved on to the Q321.

I find the picture for normal freeview stuff pretty much the same as the Samsung tbh, but the HD picture through my Xbox360 is a million times better.

Only niggles are this lip-sync thing, which I've hardly noticed, and I really don't like the user interface for the freeview side - which isn't really freeview, just dvbt as there's no interactive or teletext.

Si

I have read (in this forum) all about the geometry problems with the Samsung- I'd like to see one in the flesh(??) to make my own mind up if it will annoy me!
The only hurdle really with the Hyundai is the price- €999 (I know its cheap for an LCD but it may look dear in 3/6 months time!) and also if anything goes wrong I may be left sitting with a dud!!!

Does the Q321 have HDMI?- I understand that this is important for making sure that the set is future proofed for connecting to digital.

Also simonf7....

I really don't like the user interface for the freeview side - which isn't really freeview, just dvbt as there's no interactive or teletext

....what is dvbt???

I saw the SlimFit in action in currys and its awesoul.

Also, you'd be intresed to know that second generation Slimfit called Vixlim is on its way and will be released next year. This looks sexier and promising, unlike the current SlimFit.

Here's the link

Flash based interactive site

Cheers Nielo,

I don't think I can wait to late next year for the new Samsung. But based on what you have said the current Samsung slimfit may not be such a good buy!

Are there any other HD ready CRT possibilities out there? I notice from the linked article that LG are also still producing CRT's - do they have a 32" HD ready CRT? What are they like as a brand?

Also I have read through more of the posts on the Hyundai. In my earlier post I asked..
Does the Q321 have HDMI?- I understand that this is important for making sure that the set is future proofed for connecting to digital.
From reading some of the other threads it seems that the A321 is the model that has HDMI? Should I really be getting hung up on whether it has HDMI or not? Remember I'm in Ireland which probably won't go digital for another 6 years (although I will be able to pick up signals from Northern Ireland).

LG is already manufacturing Slimline CRT for the US but is has some softening issue on all four corners.

Unfortunately, the best CRT known to man is no longer manufactured, so we wont be seeing that in HD.

Don't touch the Samsung Slimfit with a very large barge pole it sucks and has major geometry issues. Have recently returned mine for a refund.

bbeer said:
Don't touch the Samsung Slimfit with a very large barge pole it sucks and has major geometry issues. Have recently returned mine for a refund.
I fall into the catogory of spend a significant amount of time looking at the slimfit, then bought the Hyundai.
As bbeer has said, don't touch it with your bargepole or anyone else's bargepole for that matter. The problem is it is a compomised design. To get the slimfit reduced depth samsung have shortened the tube length so that it doesn't defy physics, and it has to do a whole lot more to get the picture in focus across the entire screen. As you can see from the slimfit posts it is a real lottery as to whether you get a decent picture even with SD. An out of focus SD picture is bad enough, an out of focus HD picture makes it a complete waste of money.
The Hyundai for less than 600 quid is a bargain IMHO. I am very happy with it.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom