Hyundai Kona. What a saga, buying a car was never this difficult before.

PRESSTOG

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Wow. I must be getting old, this new fangled car ordering online is so much hassle. Surely it should be like buying an iPhone. Fastest Finger click done, wait for delivery.

But it seems with cars its not that simple.

The Hyundai Kona Click2Buy Website went live at 10am on the 2nd Aug, I was there finger on button.

Order placed and deposit paid by 10.02 email at 10.03 confirming
Acid Yellow 64Kwh Premium @ £30060 (after PICG)

Easy as that, well I thought so, estimated delivery changed from the base 24 weeks that they all showed to 2 weeks as expected (had already been advised cars are on boat and expected in UK in a few days). Ohhh better get a wiggle on and advertise the Zoe for sale.

Silence from Hyundai, oh well sure I will hear after weekend.

Monday this week still nothing from Hyundai and now panic a bit as delivery date changes from 2 weeks to 17th Jan 2019. Call Hyundai Multiple times, answerphone, emails not being answered calls not being returned.

Spoke to dealer where I was picking up from, he could see order on system but no VIN allocated to my order (And as he had other orders I was advised with no VIN there was no car).

Finally got through to Click2Buy on Tuesday (after over 50 calls), who checked order and confirmed there was no car on the boat matching my order (or the second boat due already at sea and due in the UK late August). So it would be at least Jan 19!!!

BUT they did have a car on the second boat, that they could allocate to me, same colour and battery size, but Premium SE rather than Premium.. So an extra £2300

What can you do said yes and felt a little bit like I had just been mugged.

So delivery date of new order is online and showing as 26th Sept 2018. which is as it happens SWMBOs Birthday, so I suppose I will even have to let her have first drive in it..

A bit of a stressful few days getting it sorted, feel the old way of dealing face to face with a dealer may be better with cars and leave the click to buy to iPhones!!!

I think you'll probably enjoy the SE extras.

A few more weeks to earn the extras, by that time you'd have enough for a Tesla :p

On a serious note, it really doesn't have to be that hard does it. From an IT perspective it looks like their systems simply aren't connected properly. Give it a few more years and you'll buy it through Amazon with proper stock levels :)

A few more weeks to earn the extras, by that time you'd have enough for a Tesla :p

On a serious note, it really doesn't have to be that hard does it. From an IT perspective it looks like their systems simply aren't connected properly. Give it a few more years and you'll buy it through Amazon with proper stock levels :)

Just had an email from Hyundai, asking if I would be interested in collecting my car from Swindon instead of Morecombe on the 10th Sept..

They are trying to get a Launch event together with as many drivers collecting them from a special event at a Green Energy Facility. Free Lunch and all that, but "Swindon" !! I dont think I have had my Jabs for that..

As for the Tesla, have considered it Sooo Many Times,, But just too big for London Streets when working... And think of the depreciation on the miles I do, would need a wheelbarrow to take the money away!!. ;-)

Are they going to pay your train fare to get to Swindon? It's not far from the station, so perhaps they could collect you / send a taxi.

The problem to solve with car buying is the sheer range of options, leading to the huge number of different combinations that each vehicle can now be supplied. Ford can supply their Transit van in something like 1 Million different variations!!

To solve this we need local assembly facilities, as building to order is well established. Ford can make a range of different models on the same production line now and build to specific order. Modularized robot assembly is about to become a reality in the automotive sector in the UK with a new van manufacturer and l can see the car market following suit. You therefore won't need huge stock holding to meet demand, just variable production ability local to the end use point.

Are they going to pay your train fare to get to Swindon? It's not far from the station, so perhaps they could collect you / send a taxi.

Yes they said they would, but its a royal PITA from where We live, at least 3 or 4 trains, and getting to the station in the first place, much easier just to drive down there and convoy back with the new car. (Just a case of fighting over who gets the drive ;-) )

I heard the swindon event was now off?

Yes they have said there was a lot of interest and the logistics of moving all the cars there was too much

So picking mine up from dealer on 10th Sept now. They are saying none will be released till the 10th despite some of the cars having already arrived with the dealers

Someone managed to get photos of their car at the dealership, and it looks rather nice

Well the time is here

Car has arrived at the dealers has been all registered and I am picking it up tomorrow (Wed 5th) so a few days earlier than expected

Expect a Kona thread as soon as I have a few miles under the belt.

Should be fully charged even on the 3kwh charger at the garage by the morning.

466C778E-E9F3-40A1-95CD-06C16F345C34.jpeg

Particularly keen on your thoughts size wise, as that is the main deterrent for me.

Don't buy a cat because there really is no room to swing it..

Space in front is OK. The back is no good for normal size adults on anything other than a short hop. It's ok for Vicky and me as we are both 5ft 3. So plenty of room but can imagine it would be a bit claustrophobic if you a little on the lanky side

On the plus side I am almost as wide as I am tall :) .and there is plenty of room between us still width is good height not so

Extra 3" of boot height by lowering floor to lowest setting so no longer level with boot lip

boot low.jpg

Seat Room in Rear with drivers seat set for a 5ft3" Driver.
IMG_20180906_115158.jpg

5ft 3" Passenger leg room behind 5ft3" driver
IMG_20180906_115206.jpg
IMG_20180906_115225.jpg

Last edited:
Don't buy a cat because there really is no room to swing it..
Thanks, following your thread on speakev.com too so I spotted those pictures.

I'm 5'11 so basically there would be no chance of me taking anyone in the back seat.

I think I'll be cancelling my order. The Niro is so so much bigger and as Bjorn Nyland has shown today, only slightly less range.

It will certainly be more expensive, but unless it's ridiculously pricey I'll stretch to it. If it is too expensive I'll likely have to just hold on to my piddly little 24kWh Leaf a while longer.

Seat Room in Rear with drivers seat set for a 5ft3" Driver.
Will they take out the driver’s seat for me? A 6’7” driver.........

Looks nice though - I need an EV version of the Superb! :(

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom