Hyundai Kona announcement due Tuesday 27/2/18

DrPhil

Outstanding Member
Reaction score
Well given that the Leaf has let me down, I'll turn my attention to the next potential "next car" for me.

(note the "pre-orders starting" in this link is only for South Korea)

Hyundai starts pre-orders for Kona Electric - Push EVs

40kwh and 60kwh versions. 60kwh should be somewhere around the price of the 40kwh Leaf.

40kwh =150 miles
60kwh = 230 miles

Even the 40kwh would do me IF the charging was faster. And given that the Ioniq already charges much faster than any Leaf, and 150kW CCS chargers are expected to arrive in the next year, the Kona could have a major advantage in that area.

Now it just remains to be seen if Hyundai have learned their lesson and manage to get sufficient numbers of this car into the market.

Had been launched in Norway already, think they sold all allocated units in a couple of days. Looks like they are going to be in demand

I don't think they have actually taken pre orders in Norway. I read that they had 25000 people register their interest, so they stopped taking registrations as they are only expecting to get 2000 cars allocated.

Have seen on some of the Kona Facebook pages (from Norway) that deposits paid, colours chosen, spec available. From memory delivery due in July. Think they had 2500 cars allocated. Will try and check... The translation of the posts are fab so worth a look if you do fb

UK prices released. These are pre-grant so knock £4.5k off.

Kona.jpg

The 64kw premium looks very interesting at under £30k after OLEV grant

Will give it 6 months and see if any dealer discounts creep in on top.

Doubtful on discounts. These things will be even more rare than the Ioniq.

I know :). Still tempted tho.

Reckon I can get £15k for the Zoe private sale. So only another £13k to stump up after OLEV for the Premium

Depends on the wait times may well lob in an order

With the extra weight I doubt it will be anywhere as near efficient as the Zoe ( lifetime average of 4.7 mile/Kwh). But 63kw battery is tempting .that's basically London and back with no charging at all if driven gently. (Also the CCS rapid would be a nice bonus)

Not quite got £13k in the car slush fund yet as only been driving the Zoe 7 months but it's tempting very tempting

The 5 year unlimited mileage warranty is very tempting when doing about 50k a year!!!

Be interesting what sort of wait times they predict when we get the fastest finger online ordering opening on 2nd August, Let home its firm(ish) dates and not model 3 type pay now come back in 10 years type stuff ;0

The 5 year unlimited mileage warranty is very tempting when doing about 50k a year!!!

Be interesting what sort of wait times they predict when we get the fastest finger online ordering opening on 2nd August, Let home its firm(ish) dates and not model 3 type pay now come back in 10 years type stuff ;0
Battery only for 2.5 years for you ;)

The reviews are coming now, the main man, Bjorn has published.

He reckons that if you drive easy, 50-55mph, you'll comfortably get 300 miles on a charge.

If you drive it like you stole it (like me) you'll still get around 200 miles at 70mph speeds.

Space is definitely tighter than you might hope but fine if you don't have a load of teenagers etc. Fine for me with my squad of cats and hound.

Most disappointing thing is that his planned charge on a 175kw charger didn't work out. The charger was faulty. He did charge on a 50kw charger and found that it charged at 45kw all the way to 75% and then started to taper. At 90%+ it was down to 24kw.

Later today he is taking on a Tesla model X in a race! @gangzoom you will be watching I presume?

I belive the Kona won, which am not surprised at Hyundai clearly have a led over everyone including Tesla when it comes to EV drivetrain efficency.

But as good as the Kona looks fab for efficency and value for money, its not every day you get the chance to own a piece of motoring history, I just cannot see our next EV been anything but the Perfomance Model 3 - bedgaged and without the silly carbon fibre spolier or flashy red brake calipers, with 19ich aero wheels on this will be the ultimate Q car.

I never use finance to buy our cars, but for the Perfomance 3 I might just have to make an exception!!!

https://www.motortrend.com/cars/tesla/model-3/2018/2018-tesla-model-3-dual-motor-performance-review/

Well the Live launch today on "click to buy" was a joke. Only the premium model available initially, but couldn't select a delivery date. A few minutes later the premium 2 tone and the base model appeared but still unable to complete the order.

Finally the whole thing crashed and when I tried again there were no electric models available.

Glad to hear you didnt have to wait the 24 weeks either. @DrPhil

Hopping to get them to push mine back to the 1st Sept from Mid Aug, so will get it on a 68 plate.

I may do similar, not necessarily due to the plate, as I'll be exporting to Ireland anyway so it's either a 182 plate or a 191.

But if the Niro prices don't break til October, then I'll have to either push my delivery back or cancel. No way I'm buying a Kona until I know the Niro prices for certain.

I may do similar, not necessarily due to the plate, as I'll be exporting to Ireland anyway so it's either a 182 plate or a 191.

But if the Niro prices don't break til October, then I'll have to either push my delivery back or cancel. No way I'm buying a Kona until I know the Niro prices for certain.

Have a sneaky feeling the niro might be a little cheaper.

Anyone bought it on pcp - if so what's the monthly payment / miles like?

Anyone bought it on pcp - if so what's the monthly payment / miles like?
I saw a Facebook post which quoted a large deposit and £500+a month. No idea if that's genuine but seems to be related to highish Apr and low residusre

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom