Hyundai Ioniq

Discussion in 'Hybrid, PHEV & EV Electric Cars Forum' started by enigma1701, Oct 30, 2016.

1. enigma1701

enigma1701

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +391
    Have these Hyundai's caught anyone elses eye?

I like the idea of a hybrid that can do most miles elec and then a engine for going further. My general commute is about 40 miles but often do around 70 at weekends so I like the idea.

I know they've a plug-in model thats due in 2017 and should do just over 30 miles as its pure elec but I'm not sure I understand the difference between a hybrid and plug in, is plug in just a normal 240 plug from house to car? So the hybrid would be using those charge points that are out and about and can be installed to houses?

2. Monty Nine

Monty Nine

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +993
    Hybrid has battery and petrol engine and will recharge itself under braking and similar. Will not use any type of charge point either at home or out.

Plug in has battery and petrol engine but can use those charge points or a dedicated point at home.

And they have a longer range all electric coming that can only use those charge points or a dedicated point at home.

3. enigma1701

enigma1701

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +391
    Thanks that is a perfect explanation! I was wondering the idea behind the hybrid if you could just plug it in! Makes much more sense now ;-)))

4. EndlessWaves

EndlessWaves
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,257
    The non-plug-in hybrids (prius etc.) are just normal petrol cars with a few more energy recovery systems than normal. They improve on fuel economy a bit but still fall short of diesel.

Plug-in hybrids (aka range extenders) are cars that can operate on either petrol or electric. So you'd typically use them on electric as often as possible with the petrol used for your longer journeys.

Pure electric cars drop the weight and cost of the petrol engine so they're more efficient and cheaper for the same electric range but obviously require you to use alternative transport (hire car, train, bus etc.) for any longer journeys.

Both electric cars and plug-in hybrids share the same charging infrastructure. Both can be used with an indoor house plug but given that home charging points are heavily subsidised I'd recommend going that route for the extra safety and weather proofing.

The fuel economy test is even more open to manipulation for electric and hybrid cars than it is for petrol so take any range/efficiency figures with a huge pinch of salt.

The full electric Ioniq appears to have a 28kWh battery while the plug-in model has a 9.8kWh battery. It depends on whether that's available capacity or not (electric cars don't use all of their capacity as that makes the batteries last longer) but that's comparable to other electric models out there. I think the new Prius Plug-in is 8.8kWh, while the Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV is 12kWh.

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • List
  5. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,472
    In fact the Ioniq EV is heavier and faster than either hybrid. I did some research into which green car to buy and ordered an Ioniq EV this week. Delivery is June.
    I absolutely won't be using alternative transport for longer journeys. I'll be charging it up at one of the many charging points around the country with the assistance of the onboard sat nav which includes their locations.

6. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,852
    80% charge which will equate to ~100 miles real world use in 20 minutes at a super charger. Give or take any waiting/queueing time !!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,350
    The queues have become a lot less now they have started to charge at most of the outside points.

8. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,472
    I see most larger supermarkets eventually having free charging points to attract customers.

9. outoftheknow

outoftheknow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,166
    And customers won't notice what prices increase to pay for them :p

10. PRESSTOG

PRESSTOG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +413
    Well Said... When I purchased my first i3 I chickened out and bought the range extender version, soon realised it was not really needed even with doing 30k miles a year, the public charging network works and as long as you are prepared to plan a little on journeys you will have no problem.

We bought a second i3 last month (Battery only this time)..
    (Dumped our second car which was petrol as it was not being used at all)...

Just expect your mileage to go up, if the ioniq is anything like the i3 you will find every excuse possible to go out and drive it more.

11. tfboy

tfboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +446
    I've been to Spain and back in the Tesla. It's true that Tesla's Supercharging network is a prerequisite necessity for long-distance travel. Not only does it enable it, it makes it addictive.

I know a lot of Tesla drivers that do longer road trips and drive further away into Europe than they ever did with ICE cars.

Now I've adopted the EV mindset, I actually enjoy stopping every 2 hours / 150 miles for 30 minutes to stretch legs and have a break. I've driven to Spain in a single day from the UK. Yes, it took me two hours longer than had I slogged it out in a diesel, but I arrived fresh and relaxed and didn't need any recovery time which would have been required with an ICE.

12. Alan CD

Alan CD
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,581
    What was to prevent you stopping every 2 hours for 30 minutes break in a diesel?

13. tfboy

tfboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +446
    Nothing, it just wasn't a concept I had adhered to, despite recommendations :) If I had to do the same journey again in an ICE, I would stop more frequently by choice.

14. Stupid61

Stupid61

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I read in a review of the Prius that out will run up to 36mph on battery before switching to the petrol engine.
    Does anyone know what the equivalent speed is for the non-plug-in Ioniq? Almost certainly going to buy one since most of our mileage is urban, but it would be interesting to be able to try and work out how much of that we will be able to do on battery.