hyundai ioniq 5 or kia ev6

Bloodzeed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi guys just wondering if you had a choice what car would you get

hyundai ioniq 5 or kia ev6

I was looking at getting Tesla 3 but keeping options open and these two recently released

Reliability on these and past experience would be great too

Both are built on the same brand new platform, the companies shares like Peugeot / Citroen etc or maybe they’re one and the same like VW / Audi, so much may come down to personal preference. I like the look of the kIa a bit more, but both are great cars with the latest tech, so neither are a bad choice imho..

I ordered an Ioniq 5, should hopefully be with me before the end of the year. The EV6 is supposed to be set up a little sportier, so with stiffer suspension, but other than that the differences between the cars are largely cosmetic, and maybe the Kia is the more luxurious version (and slightly more expensive).

The only other thing I’ve noticed, is that for some strange reason the usb sockets in the Ioniq 5 are all the old type, and in the Kia they’re all type C.

As above, the same platform but the Kia is the more expensive of the two. I saw the EV6 on it's first day of reveal at a local dealer and it looked amazing in the matt paint finish.

I'm about to order an Ioniq5 for my MD at work.

Lovely I'm leading more towards Ioniq5 but looks wise Kia ev6

I ordered an Ioniq 5, should hopefully be with me before the end of the year. The EV6 is supposed to be set up a little sportier, so with stiffer suspension, but other than that the differences between the cars are largely cosmetic, and maybe the Kia is the more luxurious version (and slightly more expensive).

The only other thing I’ve noticed, is that for some strange reason the usb sockets in the Ioniq 5 are all the old type, and in the Kia they’re all type C.
Is this a PCP deal can't find many PCP mostly HCP

Are these cars both android wireless?

Maybe look at lease also, not for everyone but works for many, leasing.com is good for comparing many lease providers

Lovely I'm leading more towards Ioniq5 but looks wise Kia ev6

Is this a PCP deal can't find many PCP mostly HCP

Are these cars both android wireless?

Both have Apple CarPlay and Android Auto as standard, but (annoyingly) neither are wireless.

I'm probably buying mine outright (I'm liquidating my limited company after going permanent earlier this year so have some cash available) and financing £20,000 of it with a bank loan.

I would have a 15k deposit so hopefully get a decent deal

Oh bloody hell Android Auto wired it is...

I would have a 15k deposit so hopefully get a decent deal

Oh bloody hell Android Auto wired it is...

Yeah I’m disappointed that it doesn’t do wireless, I really don’t like taking my phone out of my pocket in the car as I inevitably forget to pick it up!

I'm visiting my local Kia dealer on Sunday. Should be placing my deposit for the EV6.

Whilst sharing a platform, they're very different cars in reality, even just from a styling perspective. I love the outside of the Ioniq5 but not keen on the interior.

I'm visiting my local Kia dealer on Sunday. Should be placing my deposit for the EV6.

Whilst sharing a platform, they're very different cars in reality, even just from a styling perspective. I love the outside of the Ioniq5 but not keen on the interior.
What!, That is so old school, nearly an oxymoron when buying an EV surely. Shop around for the best deal. IMHO I would not purchase out right, leasing will de-risk these largely unproven EVs.

If you have a company and 3 years accounts then buy via the company as you should get really good tax break. Winding up a company is a pain and it easy enough to just keep it ticking over just incase.

Wow....you seem to know an awful lot about my purchase option when I all I said was placing a deposit.

Unless of course you just jumped to loads of your own conclusions :D

Not sure what your purchase method is, but personally I'm never buying a car ever again. Leasing is such a better option if you are comfortable with a fixed amount going out every month.
It means you have a new car every few years, never have to worry about anything going wrong.

For years I was firmly against this and always bought cars as I liked to own it, but the benefit of it being mine compared to the cost of paying for repairs etc is just not there. Whilst my car is technically not mine, for all intents and purposes it is mine.

Wow....you seem to know an awful lot about my purchase option when I all I said was placing a deposit.

Unless of course you just jumped to loads of your own conclusions :D
I think you said going to a dealer and paying a despots, thats old school

I went to my local dealer to get my Cupra, that was after I'd spent months on Carwow and other sites, and also emailed various other dealers haggling. I then went to them and got them to beat my best price and paid them a deposit for my lease..

It is old school. I liked that with my Tesla I just ordered it online but in this case there are some things I want to ask, especially regarding delivery dates as I'm going to be without a car for a few months so I want to know who I can shout at when I need to :rotfl:

I went to my local dealer to get my Cupra, that was after I'd spent months on Carwow and other sites, and also emailed various other dealers haggling. I then went to them and got them to beat my best price and paid them a deposit for my lease..
Been to so many dealers a got totally ignored in the past. You arrange a test drive over the internet/phone so much easier for me

Are lease companies allowing reasonable extensions under the current circumstances like PCP’s?

I cancelled my order for the Ioniq 5...as I managed to pick up a Project 45 variant earlier this evening (from RSymons down in New Milton)! 😃

Drove it back to Reading, which was good enough to test all the gadgetry and I'm pretty impressed!

IMG_9744.jpeg

IMG_9743.jpeg

IMG_9742.jpeg

Just realised I was watching your car in his video I had on last night :rotfl:

Kia all day for me. I don't like the exterior or interior of the Hyundai.

Bit bizarre that neither of them support wireless android auto or carplay. Even my much maligned ID3 can manage that.

Three weeks in with the Ioniq 5, and so far it's been pretty good. This is my first EV, so really wasn't sure what to expect. It drives really well, and it's very comfortable - I did a 300 mile trip last weekend and had no issues with the seat comfort at all.

In terms of the driving experience, it's soft compared to the A-Class I had before, but I was expecting that. However, on the 20" wheels and sportier tires of the Project 45 model, it's not overly soft.

I took it from Reading to Goodwood and back yesterday, and was really pleasantly surprised at how the car handles on windy B roads. It felt planted and solid, no complaints with the ride at all.

In terms of negatives, well there's a known issue with the front camera calibration, that causes the assistance features (adaptive cruise control, lane keep assist, etc) to raise a load of warnings, and they triggered no less than 10 times yesterday, which was really annoying. There is a software update which resolves the issue, but I'm not booked in until the 1st of November.

Secondly, the routing software is stupid. It'll tell you when you don't have enough charge to get to your destinatiuon but doesn't then plan or offer to plan anything for you. It does give you the option of looking up charge points that are on the way, but it's difficult to see WHERE they are on the route and the one time I tried to select one the car took me to a residential street where there was no charger.

Finally, the Highway Drive Assist function can - on the motorway - automatically adjust the car to the speed limit when cruise control is engaged. Which is great, until you hit a speed restricted area, because the car adjusts the speed down but then after a set distance will revert to what is presumably the speed limit it knows from GPS/mapping information it has. So if the speed signs are not within a set distance the car switches back to 70 and then you're breaking the speed limit.

Despite those issues I'm very happy with the car, and hopefully the software (which of course is shared with the EV6) will be improved and resolve some or all of the complaints I do have.

In terms of efficiency, I am averaging 3.4 miles per kWh, and think I should be able to achieve ~225 miles on a full charge. I don't know if that's good or bad compared to other EVs, but for my use case it's ample. The two or three times a year I go camping, I can pull into a services and with the 800v system charge up fast enough to not really care that I can't hit 300 miles.

Sounds goods, despite the few niggles.

I never tend to use in built sat nav these days, I just rely on Google maps, but that doesn't currently show EV chargers and doesn't know your remaining range, having said that our car don't always it either if it's cold or / and just m-way driving.

Have you been driving with full regen braking on yet? I think range wise 225 is fine and as with most EVs I think charging speed is often more useful than outright range. More range usually means more batteries, which usually means more weight and less efficiency etc. The new breed of cars like I5 or EV6 have amazing charging speeds, I need a pit stop after 2 hours of driving anyway, I never used to bother 10 years back when diesels had a 600+ mile range and people would drive 4-5 hours starught. Think it's far safer and better to stop, clear your bladder, head, stretch your legs and get a coffee or sandwich..

We took ours to north wales in the summer with family and was absolutely fine, mixture of fast chargers where we could find them, graze charging elsewhere and sometimes the granny overnight, car never went below 50% tbh..

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom