Hyundai Imagequest Q321 Review

Status
Not open for further replies.
And to paraphrase Meggie Dude, who paraphrased myself: Can't be arsed any more.
So, how do we go about getting a refund, as I can't be bothered to get wound up about this, or wait for what might happen, or be without a set for x weeks. This is, of course addressed to the people at Novatech, is it a long winded approach, or just request and it shall be done? Hoping for a swift resolution....:lease:

They will agree to a refund but only if

1. You have the original box
2. You return at your own cost via courier.

Oh, and they won't reply to emails or tickets raised.

If the product is in it original packaging and if there is a reason for return like DSD or incompatibility (lip-sync" is an issue and not a fault - if it were a fault then every set would have it) then all you have to pay for is the shipping, l we are a customer focused business so don't be afraid to ask for help. All you will have to pay for the shipping costs as they are a service and not goods. If the service was paid for and satisfactory - i.e. it was delivered when it was due then you will not get a refund for that. If you send it back it is down to you to organise a shipper or courier - again, call us and we will pick it up for less than it will cost you to ship it but you will have to pay - around a tenner.

If it is faulty - then you are entitled to a full refund including carriage.

Kp

Lip sync is a fault as far as I'm concerned, as as far as the manufacturers appear to be concerned too, else why be looking for a fix.

I have confirmation email that the lip sync is a valid reason for me to return to Novatech outside of 28 days.

I don't have the original box because I haven't got the room in my flat to keep large boxes. I also do not believe I should have to incur courier charges.

A fault isn't something with everyone single electrical item. The overheating of XBox 360s is a known fault, its happened to a few, doesn't mean it's happened on them all.

As you have now at least clarified Novatech's position (they haven't replied to any of my previous queries regarding this) I will have to take the route of the small claims and Trading Standards.

Thanks

Coolio- I've been in touch with KPKPKP, and he's a very understanding and affable fellow. Before you go leaping in, try that track with him, he's been pointing out what options are open to me, and has promised to get back to me- hopefully today! Trading Standards will fight your corner, yes, due to the inherent and whatever fault- but the lip-sync is not just common to the Q321, check other forums. the only way you can fight that is the Sky HD fault (which IS inherent), and the lack of an HDMI slot, although it depends on what time you bought it. Although it is still being advertised as available with an HDMI slot..... So basically, forget the lip sync fault, and either exchange or ask for a refund.

I have a PC connected through the VGA connector on my Q320 displaying at 1360x768 with no scaling. There's a thin black border on the left side of the screen that I'm thinking is the missing 6 pixels.
Wacky, are you using any other software to do this, like Powerstrip or anything?

This would be interesting, as if not, then why is one set doing this, whereas others are not? I know the Q320 is a slightly different set but not in this respect surely. The plot thickens...

Wacky, are you using any other software to do this, like Powerstrip or anything?

This would be interesting, as if not, then why is one set doing this, whereas others are not? I know the Q320 is a slightly different set but not in this respect surely. The plot thickens...

Not any additional software other than the ATI control panel. I connected the computer to my Q320's VGA connection, powered it on, and after logging in, 1360x768 was on my possible resolutions in Display properties.

It's mostly down to the EDID data in the TV and the graphics card/drivers, if they are all behaving then you should get this native mode listed in WinXP and can just select it. If not then you need to resort to programs like powerstrip to force/fake it.

From what I remember I think the Q320 and Q321 both report the same EDID data, the A321 however had buggy data when it first shipped.

Also, I was having an e-mail conversation with a "service technician" at Hyundai America about adjusting the backlight brightness on my Q320, and he wanted me to send in my set for repair because he suspected screen burn. I told him I'd had the set for less than a week, and the picture is great, but the backlight is too bright. He told me there's no way to turn the brightness down. Hopefully he's wrong.

Don't talk to me about EDIDs - I had to send my Q321 to Repairtech cause it had a dodgy one meaning it wouldn't let me use DVI etc.

Anyway, seeing as Wacky's Q320 will display 1360 x 768 without scaling on a PC, has anyone out there with a Q series TV managed to get no scaling by the TV when connecting a 360 to the set and selecting 1360 x 768?

IE anyone with a 360 and 1360 x 768 have the 6 pixel strip of unlit pixels on the left?

I am sure this is an issue that can be sorted easily if people already have Q series sets working with no scaling over VGA when feeding 1360 x 768 resolutions to their TV.

On a seperate note, has anyone's set actually managed to get the guide's clock to be showing the correct time in light of daylight saving this weekend?

This set is annoying me a bit now. It has the panel, the look and such like, but it just seems the implementation isn't quite as excellent as it could be. Irritating menus and seemingly unconsistent results across the range in terms of VGA etc remind me this set isn't one of the top end units. Look at the Pannys or the Sonys and their execution is bang on, at least on the units I've seen. This isn't in that league, granted the price reflects that - but it only suffers in my eyes on things that could have been so easily polished up. The picture is still brilliant for me over DVI. The 360, even with it's stupid scaling is also damn good... BUT a little bit more effort with it could have made this set absolutley fantastic...

Is this view just mine now, or do others get the same kinda vibes?

I'm watching the only OTA HDTV channel I can receive, and my guide's time is correct.

With many years experience with A/V equipment, I expect some weaknesses with a lower priced unit. I am really impressed with what Hyundai is selling for about half the price of the more prominent name brands.

Don't get me wrong. I totally agree there. The unit for this price is great. Simply I am saying that I don't think it's the components letting this unit down, so a little bit more effort by the engineers etc in the first place could have made this unit totally ubeatable. An upgraded UI and such like could have really made this unit untouchable for the price, whereas at the moment, you have to compromise slightly. You still sacrifice a bit for the money - granted it's worth it , but it annoys me that it could have been a brilliant set, the potential is there, the execution is a bit off.

I watched Seven news from Australia earlier (downloaded from a certain oz site)

The video quality using Jet audio plus 6.26 and my FX5500 card via the q321 is staggering considering it's a Divx file the sharpness and depth of colour is amazing

If anyone wants this let me know 229MB is size can MSN etc. It's a great test for video via the PC

Originally Posted by WackyT
I have a PC connected through the VGA connector on my Q320 displaying at 1360x768 with no scaling. There's a thin black border on the left side of the screen that I'm thinking is the missing 6 pixels.

Isn't this to do with whether it's being driven at 50 or 60Hz? AFAIK 60Hz will give you the 6 pixel border, at 50Hz it scales it up by the 6 pix. I'm at 50 so it's scaled but this way the video is non-jerky.

(A reminder to all those who criticise this set and mark it down against more complete units from more expensive brands - this is the only one I could find that would be driven by a PC at a near-native res at 50Hz... and that, my dear legal-spouting friends, was top of my list. Right at the top, way up there, right on the apex, where you can almost not see it. Do you yet see how not everyone judges it in the same way?)

Isn't this to do with whether it's being driven at 50 or 60Hz? AFAIK 60Hz will give you the 6 pixel border, at 50Hz it scales it up by the 6 pix. I'm at 50 so it's scaled but this way the video is non-jerky.

(A reminder to all those who criticise this set and mark it down against more complete units from more expensive brands - this is the only one I could find that would be driven by a PC at a near-native res at 50Hz... and that, my dear legal-spouting friends, was top of my list. Right at the top, way up there, right on the apex, where you can almost not see it. Do you yet see how not everyone judges it in the same way?)
I have no idea if that's the case. Interesting though. I'm computer savvy but not to the extent I know about this kinda thing, and I was personally just asking about it as I've seen some TVs using VGA connections and not scaling. If that is indeed the case then no TV is going to be showing the 360 at 1360 x 768 and people are misinformed when they say it does.

I don't knock the quality of the image, as I've said in the previous posts, DVI is bloody amazing, and I can't see it being bettered by spending more money. The non updating clock, and menus etc are the things that annoy me, but I can live with that, as the extra few hundred quid in my bank account goes a long way.

Can CC or KP confirm what 16to9 says, as it'd stop me worrying about trying to sort something that isn't broken, and I'd then go back to enjoying oblivion! Which btw, looks bloomin awesome. PGR3 is the game that I've seen weird effects on, but that may just be the way PGR3 is designed. Dunno.

My video card doesn't give me a 50Hz option. I only have a 60Hz for 1360x768. And that's the highest supported resolution. Could you be having 50Hz being in Europe, and me be having 60Hz being in the U.S.?

I have exactly the same thing as WackyT happening over DVI. I have a small black border down the left side. Other than that small black border the rest of the screen is correct.

I use a radeon X850XT set @1360x768 @60hz (no 50hz option in catalyst) also, catalyst registers my Q321 as Q320WD DVI .

I thought it might have been something to do with the H-sync in xp (same as when you get a new monitor you have to adjust the screen) Problem is can't get into the mouse icon on the menu over DVI?!?!? so I can't check, anyone?

Other than this irratant the telly is great.

EDIT: Ran powerstrip and changed refresh rate to 50hz. It fixed the black border, but the loss in PQ is unacceptable. Doing so has the same affect on the PQ as setting the res to 1280x768@60hz (in catalyst) but with the black border still there.

Anyone with the knowledge know how to sort this? without losing so much PQ.

My video card doesn't give me a 50Hz option. I only have a 60Hz for 1360x768. And that's the highest supported resolution. Could you be having 50Hz being in Europe, and me be having 60Hz being in the U.S.?
50Hz can only be selected in the advanced properties of the card (possibly) or via powerstrip. Anyway being the US you'll want to keep it at 60Hz as that's the native frequency for NTSC. The point about 50Hz in Europe, is that PAL is 50Hz. Playing a 50Hz signal on a 60Hz panel introduces telecine juddering.

Ran powerstrip and changed refresh rate to 50hz. It fixed the black border, but the loss in PQ is unacceptable.

Anyone with the knowledge know how to sort this? without losing so much PQ.

You probably just changed the horizontal frequency, which changes the pixel clock. Try starting again, using the EDID value of 1360x768@60Hz as a starting point, and then increase the front porch (horizontal). This will decrease the horizontal frequency without affecting the pixel clock. However you might run into a resolution that the TV cannot cope with, so make sure you have a working resolution assigned to a hotkey. If that's the case, you might want to start again, change the frequency to 58 or 57, and then use the front porch to get down to 50Hz.

Cheers for the advice Kojak71.

Tried doing what you said but ran into the same thing, by the time I got to 50hz it corrected the black bar (corrected around 53hz) but same again, the PQ suffered the same fate as before.

Coolio- I've been in touch with KPKPKP, and he's a very understanding and affable fellow. Before you go leaping in, try that track with him, he's been pointing out what options are open to me, and has promised to get back to me- hopefully today! Trading Standards will fight your corner, yes, due to the inherent and whatever fault- but the lip-sync is not just common to the Q321, check other forums. the only way you can fight that is the Sky HD fault (which IS inherent), and the lack of an HDMI slot, although it depends on what time you bought it. Although it is still being advertised as available with an HDMI slot..... So basically, forget the lip sync fault, and either exchange or ask for a refund.
I am not leaping in, I have tried to engage Novatech in conversation numerous times, and they never reply. I do not have the box so cannot get a refund.

Cheers for the advice Kojak71.

Tried doing what you said but ran into the same thing, by the time I got to 50hz it corrected the black bar (corrected around 53hz) but same again, the PQ suffered the same fate as before.

As far as I'm aware (since around page 3-4 I think ;) ) no one has managed to get REAL 1:1 mapping at anything other then 60Hz.

What you are seeing when you reach 50Hz and the border is 'corrected' is that the internal scaler of the TV kicks in and stretches the 1360x768 picture to fill the 1366x768 physical display resolution.

For video use you can either do this and loose some horizontal detail but gain smooth 50Hz source playback or go back to 60Hz and keep all the detail but put up with 50-60Hz frame conversion issues.

I stuck to 60Hz for a while but in the end preferred the smoothness of 50Hz for PAL based stuff.

I am not leaping in, I have tried to engage Novatech in conversation numerous times, and they never reply. I do not have the box so cannot get a refund.
I would suggest you PM KP via this forum. As barbosa says, KP will try and help out if he is given the chance. Don't know how well things have been going with Novatech's CS dept recently. I myself had struggled to get an e-mail answer when looking for a replacement for the SkyHD issue. Once engaged though they were very good (UPS were pants of course, but not the fault of Novatech).

Err, where is the Q321 - I can't find it on Novatech's site?:eek:

:rolleyes: is it sold out?

I stuck to 60Hz for a while but in the end preferred the smoothness of 50Hz for PAL based stuff.

Ditto. Plus MCE's built in DVD player, PAL DVD's would tend to jump a few frames every now and again at 60Hz. I don't know if this is particular to my system, or whether it's just the film correcting itself, but switching to 50Hz has decreased the frequency at which this happens.

I agree that desktop PQ is not great @ 50Hz, but I'm not sure I can see that during video playback.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom