Not open for further replies.

Baloo

Prominent Member
Reaction score
hyundai.jpg

Bought from

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/produ...uct_uid=100823

£877.72 inc VAT

I've had this set for 3 days now so I'm still playing about with it but for those that don't want to read the rest then this set is great, now go look at the pictures :thumbsup:

So a mini review.

Freeview

freeview.jpg

This LCD comes with built in freeview. The picture from this is really good. We have a signal strength in the 65%-75% range so nothing spectacular but it comes out nice on the tv. The Mrs seems to think that the picture is almost 3d like as the clarity and colours are so prominent. I say that its just a massive step up from our old tv that anything would look better. ;)

One word of warning though, I don't really get on with the EPG that the Hyundai has, it just doesn't show enough information for my liking but then I normally run a HTPC box with MCE on it so the built in freeview isn't used now.

PC input

hl2.jpg

I'm running the LCD at a resolution of 1366 x 768 and it looks extremely crisp, easily as good as my desktop LCD. Text is very readable and games look fantastic. Playing Half-Life 2 is stunning and I haven't seen any ghosting on games such as pro evo soccer. :thumbsup:

EDIT I'm actually running at 1360x768.

High Definition

st2.jpg

I've played a few demo clips from apple.com, divx.com and the Microsoft site. Compression is evident on the demo's from Microsoft, I suppose its to keep the download size down but it makes them not so impressive. The apple ones of recent films seem to be the best looking and I'm still waiting for a full HD movie to test the set out properly. Overall they look good.

DVD Play back

I have yet to hook up my Samsung HDMI dvd player but the play back from my faithful old pioneer is good. As this set has a response rate of 8ms, I can't see any ghosting even on fast moving images.

Summary

I am very happy with the LCD. I first thought about getting the cheap Haier LCD from ebuyer for £599 but I discounted that as more people were complaining about the picture from a freeview source which I use all the time. My attentions then went to the Samsung 32" and although I liked the look of it (and the Mrs did) it didn't blow me away when I demo'ed it. I took a chance on the Hyandai and it really paid off.

The set itself if very good looking IMO. The thinner bezel around the screen makes it less bulky and more minimalist looking and the detachable speakers are a nice touch. Wall mounted I can imaging that this would look outstanding. The only drawback I have found so far is that the sound lacks some bass. Its extremely clear but lacks umph! (technical term :smashin:). I now run it through my amp and 5.1 system and I do note that the set has an output and options for a subwoofer but not having tried that yet I can't comment.

Would I recommend this set? Well its more expensive than a lot of the 32" models out there, but it seems to be the same set as the Marantz LC3201e which retails for around the £1500 mark (http://www.shootandshow.co.uk/Marantz/marantz_lc3201e.htm) so its cheap in that respect. So yes, if you can stretch that little bit extra than some of the cheaper 32" LCD's then you won't be disappointed.

:thumbsup:

Thanks for a useful review. Been keeping an eye on this set.

I think it's actually cheap for a 32'' set with built in freeview and 8ms response time.

I take it it's a PAL freeview?

Dr Gonzo said:
Thanks for a useful review. Been keeping an eye on this set.

I think it's actually cheap for a 32'' set with built in freeview and 8ms response time.

I take it it's a PAL freeview?

Yes, PAL freeview.

As for cheap, well the models I were looking at were in the £600-£900 range so very much the bottom end. This was an expensive bottom end LCD :D

tragedy said:
How are the blacks?

As far as I can tell the blacks are great. The picture I have at the moment is straight out of the box (50% brightness, 50% contrast) and to me its really good. All LCD's suffer from less black blacks which is part of the problem with having a back light but I can honestly say that blacks look more than fine to me.

Gotta ask, why have you used the picture of the model badged Marantz at the start? :)

Good review, glad you are happy with it.........

CoolCurly said:
Gotta ask, why have you used the picture of the model badged Marantz at the start? :)

Good review, glad you are happy with it.........

Its the clearest picture of the model I found online. There doesn't seem to be much information on the Hyundai about at the moment.

Nice one Baloo

I too have been keeping an eye on this set along with your remarks, glad to hear you are enjoying it, and i have to say i do like the look of it.

Quick question:

Would i be right in thinking it has no HDMI slot ?. If so does this pose a problem if wanting to connect say a dvd player via HDMI ?

Would be nice to hear how it fares once connected to a 360.

"Your'e Gonna Need A Bigger Boat"

CD

Coffin Dodger said:
Nice one Baloo

I too have been keeping an eye on this set along with your remarks, glad to hear you are enjoying it, and i have to say i do like the look of it.

Quick question:

Would i be right in thinking it has no HDMI slot ?. If so does this pose a problem if wanting to connect say a dvd player via HDMI ?

Would be nice to hear how it fares once connected to a 360.

"Your'e Gonna Need A Bigger Boat"

CD

No HDMI but it does have a HDCP enabled DVI port so a HDMI->DVI adapter and a seperate audio out to your amp is the solution.

As for the 360, unless someone wants to donate one to me its unlikely ever to see one on there :(

Shall I post the PDF up on this thread for the images? dont want to hijack a damm good thread....??????

Cheers m8 :thumbsup:

"your'e Gonna Need A Bigger Boat"

CD

CoolCurly said:
Shall I post the PDF up on this thread for the images? dont want to hijack a damm good thread....??????

Feel free mate, the more info the better.

Baloo, I see in the specs pdf that it has 4:3, zoom1-2 and 14:9 picture ratio.
What does this translate to in reality with widescreen freeveiw broadcasts?

I've just noticed that the spec sheet says that the set has a memory card reader. I'm pretty sure my doesn't :confused:

The Memory Card reader is available on the sister model - Q320...
Its the same unit as the Q321 but has the built in 14-3 card reader to the side of the unit.

CoolCurly said:
The Memory Card reader is available on the sister model - Q320...
Its the same unit as the Q321 but has the built in 14-3 card reader to the side of the unit.

Ah I see, that explains it then.

Does the PC input run in 1:1 over both DVI and VGA?

Thanks for the review. The only other comments I can find about the TV on the net are all by someone named gripshift who seems to hate it because the digital tuner isn't as user friendly as he would like.

tawsi said:
Does the PC input run in 1:1 over both DVI and VGA?

Thanks for the review. The only other comments I can find about the TV on the net are all by someone named gripshift who seems to hate it because the digital tuner isn't as user friendly as he would like.

Not sure about the VGA port as I use DVI but they are probably the same. I run at 1366 x 768 and the output is crystal clear. I work in the IT industry so I know a bit about crappy LCD monitors, some of the screens I see people running would make my eye's bleed but this is perfect :thumbsup:

Baloo said:
Not sure about the VGA port as I use DVI but they are probably the same. I run at 1366 x 768 and the output is crystal clear. I work in the IT industry so I know a bit about crappy LCD monitors, some of the screens I see people running would make my eye's bleed but this is perfect :thumbsup:

Have you tried feeding the TV 720p via DVI?

tawsi said:
Have you tried feeding the TV 720p via DVI?

Oh yes (see the screen shot above of Shark Tale), looks grand :cool:

Baloo said:
Oh yes (see the screen shot above of Shark Tale), looks grand :cool:

Thanks. I wasn't sure if that was being done by the PC software scaling to native res or the TV internally.

Nice review. Just wondering about DVI 1:1 as that would be my primary use. What refresh rates are supported, would you be kind enough to try as getting concrete information is always difficult. I'm looking for multiples of 25 and 24 ideally. 60Hz is nice but 3:2 pulldown is best avoided in my experience. So think 1:1 over DVI at 48, 50, 72, 75 perhaps?

EDIT: Also is it possible to have direct access via remote for a specific input. Thinking as a harmony user here.

EDIT2: Any fan or buzz noise? Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom