Hyundai Imagequest Q321 Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baloo

Novice Member

Bought from

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/produ...uct_uid=100823

£877.72 inc VAT

I've had this set for 3 days now so I'm still playing about with it but for those that don't want to read the rest then this set is great, now go look at the pictures :thumbsup:

So a mini review.

Freeview


This LCD comes with built in freeview. The picture from this is really good. We have a signal strength in the 65%-75% range so nothing spectacular but it comes out nice on the tv. The Mrs seems to think that the picture is almost 3d like as the clarity and colours are so prominent. I say that its just a massive step up from our old tv that anything would look better. ;)

One word of warning though, I don't really get on with the EPG that the Hyundai has, it just doesn't show enough information for my liking but then I normally run a HTPC box with MCE on it so the built in freeview isn't used now.

PC input


I'm running the LCD at a resolution of 1366 x 768 and it looks extremely crisp, easily as good as my desktop LCD. Text is very readable and games look fantastic. Playing Half-Life 2 is stunning and I haven't seen any ghosting on games such as pro evo soccer. :thumbsup:

EDIT I'm actually running at 1360x768.

High Definition


I've played a few demo clips from apple.com, divx.com and the Microsoft site. Compression is evident on the demo's from Microsoft, I suppose its to keep the download size down but it makes them not so impressive. The apple ones of recent films seem to be the best looking and I'm still waiting for a full HD movie to test the set out properly. Overall they look good.

DVD Play back

I have yet to hook up my Samsung HDMI dvd player but the play back from my faithful old pioneer is good. As this set has a response rate of 8ms, I can't see any ghosting even on fast moving images.

Summary

I am very happy with the LCD. I first thought about getting the cheap Haier LCD from ebuyer for £599 but I discounted that as more people were complaining about the picture from a freeview source which I use all the time. My attentions then went to the Samsung 32" and although I liked the look of it (and the Mrs did) it didn't blow me away when I demo'ed it. I took a chance on the Hyandai and it really paid off.

The set itself if very good looking IMO. The thinner bezel around the screen makes it less bulky and more minimalist looking and the detachable speakers are a nice touch. Wall mounted I can imaging that this would look outstanding. The only drawback I have found so far is that the sound lacks some bass. Its extremely clear but lacks umph! (technical term :smashin:). I now run it through my amp and 5.1 system and I do note that the set has an output and options for a subwoofer but not having tried that yet I can't comment.

Would I recommend this set? Well its more expensive than a lot of the 32" models out there, but it seems to be the same set as the Marantz LC3201e which retails for around the £1500 mark (http://www.shootandshow.co.uk/Marantz/marantz_lc3201e.htm) so its cheap in that respect. So yes, if you can stretch that little bit extra than some of the cheaper 32" LCD's then you won't be disappointed.

:thumbsup:
 
D

Dr Gonzo

Guest
Thanks for a useful review. Been keeping an eye on this set.

I think it's actually cheap for a 32'' set with built in freeview and 8ms response time.

I take it it's a PAL freeview?
 

Baloo

Novice Member
Dr Gonzo said:
Thanks for a useful review. Been keeping an eye on this set.

I think it's actually cheap for a 32'' set with built in freeview and 8ms response time.

I take it it's a PAL freeview?
Yes, PAL freeview.

As for cheap, well the models I were looking at were in the £600-£900 range so very much the bottom end. This was an expensive bottom end LCD :D
 

Baloo

Novice Member
tragedy said:
How are the blacks?
As far as I can tell the blacks are great. The picture I have at the moment is straight out of the box (50% brightness, 50% contrast) and to me its really good. All LCD's suffer from less black blacks which is part of the problem with having a back light but I can honestly say that blacks look more than fine to me.
 

CoolCurly

Novice Member
Gotta ask, why have you used the picture of the model badged Marantz at the start? :)

Good review, glad you are happy with it.........
 

Baloo

Novice Member
CoolCurly said:
Gotta ask, why have you used the picture of the model badged Marantz at the start? :)

Good review, glad you are happy with it.........
Its the clearest picture of the model I found online. There doesn't seem to be much information on the Hyundai about at the moment.
 

Coffin Dodger

Novice Member
Nice one Baloo

I too have been keeping an eye on this set along with your remarks, glad to hear you are enjoying it, and i have to say i do like the look of it.

Quick question:

Would i be right in thinking it has no HDMI slot ?. If so does this pose a problem if wanting to connect say a dvd player via HDMI ?

Would be nice to hear how it fares once connected to a 360.

"Your'e Gonna Need A Bigger Boat"

CD
 

Baloo

Novice Member
Coffin Dodger said:
Nice one Baloo

I too have been keeping an eye on this set along with your remarks, glad to hear you are enjoying it, and i have to say i do like the look of it.

Quick question:

Would i be right in thinking it has no HDMI slot ?. If so does this pose a problem if wanting to connect say a dvd player via HDMI ?

Would be nice to hear how it fares once connected to a 360.

"Your'e Gonna Need A Bigger Boat"

CD
No HDMI but it does have a HDCP enabled DVI port so a HDMI->DVI adapter and a seperate audio out to your amp is the solution.

As for the 360, unless someone wants to donate one to me its unlikely ever to see one on there :(
 

Coffin Dodger

Novice Member
Cheers m8 :thumbsup:

"your'e Gonna Need A Bigger Boat"

CD
 
L

londonben

Guest
Baloo, I see in the specs pdf that it has 4:3, zoom1-2 and 14:9 picture ratio.
What does this translate to in reality with widescreen freeveiw broadcasts?
 

Baloo

Novice Member
I've just noticed that the spec sheet says that the set has a memory card reader. I'm pretty sure my doesn't :confused:
 

CoolCurly

Novice Member
The Memory Card reader is available on the sister model - Q320...
Its the same unit as the Q321 but has the built in 14-3 card reader to the side of the unit.
 

Baloo

Novice Member
CoolCurly said:
The Memory Card reader is available on the sister model - Q320...
Its the same unit as the Q321 but has the built in 14-3 card reader to the side of the unit.
Ah I see, that explains it then.
 

tawsi

Standard Member
Does the PC input run in 1:1 over both DVI and VGA?

Thanks for the review. The only other comments I can find about the TV on the net are all by someone named gripshift who seems to hate it because the digital tuner isn't as user friendly as he would like.
 

Baloo

Novice Member
tawsi said:
Does the PC input run in 1:1 over both DVI and VGA?

Thanks for the review. The only other comments I can find about the TV on the net are all by someone named gripshift who seems to hate it because the digital tuner isn't as user friendly as he would like.
Not sure about the VGA port as I use DVI but they are probably the same. I run at 1366 x 768 and the output is crystal clear. I work in the IT industry so I know a bit about crappy LCD monitors, some of the screens I see people running would make my eye's bleed but this is perfect :thumbsup:
 

tawsi

Standard Member
Baloo said:
Not sure about the VGA port as I use DVI but they are probably the same. I run at 1366 x 768 and the output is crystal clear. I work in the IT industry so I know a bit about crappy LCD monitors, some of the screens I see people running would make my eye's bleed but this is perfect :thumbsup:
Have you tried feeding the TV 720p via DVI?
 

tawsi

Standard Member
Baloo said:
Oh yes (see the screen shot above of Shark Tale), looks grand :cool:
Thanks. I wasn't sure if that was being done by the PC software scaling to native res or the TV internally.
 

stlic

Active Member
Nice review. Just wondering about DVI 1:1 as that would be my primary use. What refresh rates are supported, would you be kind enough to try as getting concrete information is always difficult. I'm looking for multiples of 25 and 24 ideally. 60Hz is nice but 3:2 pulldown is best avoided in my experience. So think 1:1 over DVI at 48, 50, 72, 75 perhaps?

EDIT: Also is it possible to have direct access via remote for a specific input. Thinking as a harmony user here.

EDIT2: Any fan or buzz noise? Cheers!
 

Baloo

Novice Member
stlic said:
Nice review. Just wondering about DVI 1:1 as that would be my primary use. What refresh rates are supported, would you be kind enough to try as getting concrete information is always difficult. I'm looking for multiples of 25 and 24 ideally. 60Hz is nice but 3:2 pulldown is best avoided in my experience. So think 1:1 over DVI at 48, 50, 72, 75 perhaps?

EDIT: Also is it possible to have direct access via remote for a specific input. Thinking as a harmony user here.

EDIT2: Any fan or buzz noise? Cheers!
50mhz and 60mhz are supported. I'm running at 60 and its crystal clear.

not quite sure what you mean by direct access. There is a source button which brings up the menu for the list of sources that you can select.

No fan or buzz noise at all although I was suprised that if you put your hand about 3 inches or so from the TV you can feel the heat coming from it.
 

SeanT

Well-known Member
Looks like we found the Holy Grail, when is the price going to drop though ;)
 

armarni

Novice Member
Baloo many thanks for all the info, its much appreciated. Would you be able to comment on how the pc input looks when displayed at 50mhz. Am planning on receiving freeview via my pc and want to check how it handles this.
 

la gran siete

Distinguished Member
thanks for the review Baloo. I shall certainly be thinking in terms of buying one.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar threads

Trending threads

Latest news

Netflix now using HDR for all its movie productions
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Amazon Music free tier now available on mobile platforms
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
McIntosh adds C53 and C2700 to its Roon Tested products
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Mission launches flagship ZX speaker range
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Top Bottom