1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hyundai HPT4250

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by geewhizz, Jan 2, 2005.

1. geewhizz

geewhizz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +84
    Went to powerhouse today and seen a Hyundai HPT4250 plasma, £1199/no stand.
    the picture quality looked really good ( was tuned to bbc 1 ). thought it was a good price. can anyone tell me if its ok or not ( my opinion is it looks good so will probably buy it ). :thumbsup:

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    geewhizz a mate has just ordered one i think £999 from powerhouse (4240 inc wall bracket) will be able to give an opinion next week once it has been installed and played with, but i am not holding out much hope....

3. geewhizz

geewhizz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +84
    no bother buddy, will be looking to get mine at the end of the month ( when wages go in ). so will look out for your review.
    fanx

4. G1OSE

G1OSE
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    well i saw this against other tvs of not much more money and to be honest the picture looked washed out no real good colours dont no if this was the set u or the screen but this was so obvious that if it was my shop id change that straight away
    just mine but thats it

5. davegtt

davegtt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    we saw it in powerhouse earlier this week, compared to a more expensive set next too it (the name fails me sorry, was about 3k though) both being fed of the same DVD player playing monsters inc the picture quality looked really good actually, just a slight difference in brightness and a little fuzzyness on still images, we VERY nearly got it. the sales man seemed to be really helpful and knew what he was tlaking about and he said they only got them in last week and he was really impressed with it especially for the money.

thats about all I can tell you Im afraid

6. PGallagher69

PGallagher69
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just bought this Plasma from Powerhouse near me.

Saw it in the shop, the picture looked cracking, they too were showing Monsters Inc.
    I too noticed the distortion, however I beleive is actually caused by a poor scart feed to the display, and not the display itself.
    Also, these displays perform ALOT better when they're fed with a Component + Progressive video signal direct from the DVD player!

The colours in the picture looked fine to me as well. But when I get the display I too will let you know how it performs.

Really looking forward to trying the component video + progressive scan set to 720p!

Out of interest it cost £1199, then I had to buy a stand for £200 (those things are expensive aren't they!) and a 1+4 year warranty which took the total to just under £2000 bar a few pennies.

However they let me have it on 18 Months interest free credit, which is a cracking idea!

If your interested in the specs....

HPT-4250 / 42" PDP Specification.

42" PDP TV (LG panel)
    Power Source AC90V ~ 264V, 50/60Hz
    Power Consumption Typ. < 340 W
    Display Panel Screen Size 920(H)*518(W)
    Aspect Ratio 16:9
    Contrast Ratio 3000:1
    Number of Pixels 852(H)*480(V)
    Color 16 770 000
    Viewing Angle Over 160 degrees
    Brightness 1000 cd/m2
    Video Signal Input Digital RGB (8Bit)
    Display Modes Video Modes 16:9, 4:3, Zoom in, Panorama, User
    PC Modes 16:9, 4:3, Zoom in, User
    PIP Modes Video Modes Twin PIP, Zoom-in PIP, Small PIP
    PC Modes Zoom-in PIP, Small PIP
    RF Input System

Video Input System NTSC, PAL, SECAM, Sub Standard

Dimensions 1080(w) x 690(h) x 100(d)mm
    Weight 33kg
    Input/Output Input
    Terminal HD Component Video : RCA * 5 (Y, Pb,Pr, L, R)
    Component Video : RCA * 5 (Y, Pb, Pr, L, R)
    Composite Video 1 : RCA * 3 (V. L, R)
    Composite Video 2 : RCA * 3 (V, L, R)

S-VHS : 4-pin DIN
    Analog RGB : 15-pin mini D-sub,L,R
    SCART : 21-Pin Connector
    Digital RGB : DVI (Option)
    Output Monitor : RCA * 3 (V, L, R)
    Sound : Main L/R
    Optional Accessory Table stand, Wall-mount bracket, Speaker (Main L/R)
    Operation Condition Temp. 0~40C, Humidity 20~80%
    Function Multi-language OSD : Korean, English, Spanish, German, Italian, French, Portugues, Turkish, etc.

Digital Comb filter
    PIP : Twin PIP, Small PIP, Zoom In Function from 0% - 500%
    Picture Size : 16:9, 4:3, Zoom in, Panorama, User Adjust
    Picture Rotation
    Audio Adjustment : Bass, Treble, Balance, Surround, Center Balance
    Nicam stereo / MTS stereo & SAP
    (option)
    Progressive scan 480 I/P, 720 P, 1080 I
    Color Temperature : 5000K, 6500K, 8000K, 9500K
    Full function remote control

Not a bad piece of kit for the money I'd say, looks good too!

I had a nightmare trying to find the manufacturers website, but found it in the end....

http://www.hyundai-world.com/product/product.asp?sSubDep_no=010200&sProd=36694

However they show the model including the optional speakers, whereas the powerhouse model has no speakers.

It should be arriving next week... Can't wait....

Cheers

Pete

7. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    I hope its better than the 4240 i recently installed............ £2k on a Hyundai.....thats just shy of a 42" Veira.................

8. PGallagher69

PGallagher69
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, 2K including the 5 year warranty and stand mind you, does the 42" veira price include that?

What have you found with the 4240?

I can't find much out about the specific differences between the 4240 and 4250, apart from the contrast ratio on the 4240 is 1200:1 however the 4250 is 3000:1

Curry's are selling the 4240 for £1299 including a table stand...

http://www.comet.co.uk/comet/html/cache/455_164488.html

Pete

9. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
  10. besj

besj
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have also just bought a 4250. I live in Sweden and the Elgiganten (owned by Dixon's) sold it after X-mas for GBP 1200 including a simple plastic table stand. It has almost everything needed for connectors, except it only has 1 SCART.
    So far I am delighted with it. Picture is quite good, especially on DVD and digital TV.
    Now if someone could tell me what the IR connector is used for? There is such a thing on it and it says it is optional...

11. PGallagher69

PGallagher69
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmm, worrying that hornydragon.

I hope that like Freeman said, the particular panel you saw was indeed duff, what do you think the chances of that were? Hoping you might think it was possible!

I also hope that the 4250 has improved on some of the features of the 4240.

Although, if they've increased the contrast ratio on the 4250, it'll most likely look even brighter!

I might have to take up the "14 day cooling off period" escape route if this thing isn't all it's cracked up to be!

But, I suppose I'll wait and see what mines like when I get it...

I'll certainly put a post on here...

Is the viera the Panasonic panel?

Where are they available? Cost?

Pete

12. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    the veira is panasonic fully integrated plasma TV shade over £2.2k if you shop around (get johnlewis to price match another retailer and get 5yr warranty.........) http://www.panasonic.co.uk/plasma-tv/th42pe30cd/index.htm

The one i saw was not a "duff" unit its exactly what a £999 plasma should look like!!!!!!

They are bright too bright they look ok with DVD (if they didnt no one would buy one) but DVD is easy to make look good......... Cable is the worst!!!!sky/FV are better but still need work.... YOU may be perfectly happy with one of these...............(as long as you dont see a proper one)

13. PGallagher69

PGallagher69
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Besj,

hornydragon's review above, he mentions that the picture is extremely bright on the 4240.

Is this the case with the 4250?

Does the 4250 have any of the same problems as he mentions in his review?

Pete

14. PGallagher69

PGallagher69
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers for that hornydragon...

I managed to find the viera for £2,158.00...

http://www.letsgodigital.co.uk/html...ic_th42pe30_widescreen_plasma_television.html

Not entirely sure what John lewis' Price match strategy is mind you, I wonder would they match on line dealers, and also if they'd still unclude the 5 years warranty.

If they did that and offered interest free credit, that might be a better deal than the hyundai, for only a couple of hundred more.

Do you know if the panasonics are any good?

Pete.

15. besj

besj
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No, it is not extremely bright. Setting it up was very easy. It has 4 picture modes, soft, bright , dark and user. I have just made the user mode a bit less dark, otherwise I am using the default settings from the box which gave a good picture from start.
    For ghost images and burn marks I have not seen anything like it. I have ordered DVE to see what can be done and how little or much I know about picture quality ;)
    I have also connected a PC, and using 800'600 resolution the picture is sharp but distorted at 852*480.
    So far I am quite satisfied with the purchase, but that may be caused by "the only plasma in the room" factor... :blush:

16. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Is the POPE a catholic????

JL will match another bricks and mortar store and include warranty...... (have a search there is a long thread on it..... (panny were offering a free floorstand and DVD-recorder.........but i think offer has ended)

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=154519&highlight=price+match prices have fallen since thread started......

17. PGallagher69

PGallagher69
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers for that Besj,

I was starting to get a bit worried that I'd bought a complete Lemon!

Have you tried the component + Progressive inputs? I'm hoping that these will be the dogs dangly bits! From what I've read it makes a big difference to the picture quality.

I can't seem to be able to find the DVE DVD in the UK for some reason, only place I could find that actually sold it was play.com But they didn't have any!

I'm not sure what the IR connector could be for? Seems an odd option to have.

18. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    see this very forum (powerbuys) and a nice bloke called peiro who can sell you DVE PAL or NTSC for £13

19. PGallagher69

PGallagher69
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is it worth getting?

20. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    get the disk and watch it..........then decide

21. besj

besj
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have tried the SCART RGB for my Panasonic SC-HT500 which does not have component output. That picture was IMHO quite good, as well as the SVHS which I use now. Reason for using this is the Digital TV Decoder I use that uses SCART out.
    Composite video from the digital box was worse than the RGB. Quite a difference even for a newbie like me.
    I also bought a cheap DVD with progressive overscan and component output. Connected that but did not notice any major improvemnt compared to the RGB or SVHS input. That was more to the quality of the DVD player than anything else I guess..
    The reason I went for such a cheap plasma was price. It was minimum 400 pounds cheaper than anything else with comparable data. Compared to a Panasonic (my favourite brand) it was 800 pounds cheaper.
    The Hyundai price also passed the wife approval. another 800 would not have done that...

22. PGallagher69

PGallagher69
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, I choose the Hyundai based on price too,

Although, went in to Power House expecting to spend £1200 and actually spent nearly £2000 ... whooops. But I'll feel safer now that I've got the 5 Year warranty.

I'm not sure how much better my DVD player will be than the one you bought.

On my DVD player you have to set what the output mode is, i.e. 480i, 480p, 720i, 720p, 1080i.

Was that the same on yours? Did you try any other modes? I've heard that 720p is the best mode to use.

Maybe I'll be slightly dismayed... however you comments indicate that the picture quality is good anyway.

By the way, did yours come with the DVI connector?

I reckon I'll look into the DVE DVD Hornydragon. Reading about it, it seems to be quite useful!

23. besj

besj
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yes, I have the DVI connector. have not tried it though. The D-Sub was OK.
    I skipped the extra warranty as I am always doubtful about those, and the consumer protection gives you two years against manufacturing errors with a heavy emphasis on the consumer's rights.
    The DVD player did not have anyoptions on output (at least not what I found)...

24. PGallagher69

PGallagher69
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah I was a little skeptical about the warranty, however I figured if I'm spending this much, I don't intend to replace it for a long time! (Hopefully!!)

So, maybe your DVD player was only set to 480p not 720p?? Hard to know.

I reckon it's one of those things anyway though isn't it... You get these people that buy all gold connectors, OFC cable at £29.99 / Meter, £600 CD players etc etc.... but 99% of people (including me!) wouldn't even notice the difference between that and the bog standard stuff you get out of the box!

So long as the picture is nice, clear and sharp, I'll be happy I reckon!!

25. PGallagher69

PGallagher69
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As an aside...

Reading up on the net it seems as though Plasma's employ their own progessive scan technology pretty much as standard.

Apparently they de-interlace any interlaced picture before putting it on screen.

I never knew that, but now that I do, it kinda makes sense.

But, this might explain why besj didn't notice much difference when using the progressive + component input.....

If the dvd player was simply set to 480p then there litteraly wouldn't be a difference.

However, if you set the output to 720p or 1080i apparently the picture should improve quite alot, with the images becoming more solid etc.

.... Sorry to drift a little off topic.... But helps in the understanding of the performance of the 4250 I beleive!

26. trevans

trevans

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For all you out there looking for info on the Hyndai 4240, I have had one since December. It is Wall mounted, the mount bracket was 200 quid (not cheap). Generally for the Price I am happy with it , specifically for DVD. However I do have an issue when watching Sky .. I find that when watching .. lets say a program which has lots of face shots and people turn their heads quickly or move accross the screen quickly, the colours go flat or sort of Cartoonize before restabilising and regaining their depth
    Also for example if you were to have a screen which showed a graduated colour the colour sort of goes into Bands of colour rather than graduated
    I am sure it is not a limitation of the Panel as it renders fine with DVD which is incidentally connected via S-VHS cable
    Sky is connected via Scart (which is the only way I think that it can be connected)
    Does anyone else have this sort of colour Cartooning /Graduation issue ? is it a Sky thing or is it related to the Setup or Connector type ?

27. PGallagher69

PGallagher69
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have now recieved my HPT-4250... finally...after alot of messing around with Powerhouse.

But yeah, I have noticed this strange effect on faces. It's like the gradual colours in the face change to a flat one dimensional colour. but it's only while they are moving. Once stationary, the proper skin tones return.

I don't know though, if this is down to the compression that Sky use to transmit their signal. Or whether it was the tele.

The tele is really good, seems as though the best pictures come from stuff like Toy Story, or Monsters Inc. The picture on those is absolutely stunning.

I have noticed that the tele's Black isn't very good, kinda grey. But still not bad.

I kkeep menaing to do a proper review for it actually. But just not had time lately.

When I do though, I'll make sure post on here.

Pete

28. freeman

freeman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Got rid of mine with This :smashin:

I think someone said it wouldn't work with the 4250 for some reason ,they must have changed something from our model.

29. bigfatsi

bigfatsi
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Think you may be talking about me confusing things!! I've got a Hyundai HPTD4201S which must be different. Didn't work on mine. Enjoy your clearer pics all you 4250'ers. Jealous.

Bigfatsi

30. freeman

freeman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Your Sky box was outputting RGB at the time of of problems wasn't it?
    (I did ask on other posting but you didn't reply) as if you have the Skybox output to pal you get the problem you described .